home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
clintsnow
Board Member

Default Heater Core replacement brands?

Hi all, I'm getting ready to replace the heater core in my '89 244 DL and I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on which brand to purchase. I typically purchase everything from IPD, but when looking around I found this one: https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...44+heater+core which is only $39 compared to the one ipd sells for over $100. Not sure if the cheaper one is crappy and I'd have to redo the job, or if it is sufficient.

thoughts/suggestions?

thanks!
clintsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Better to find a good used original heater core. The aftermarket ones have improper construction and don't cool the heater fan resistor properly. Get a used one and have it pressure tested if you aren't sure it is good. It is worth the effort to get the correct part in this instance. Put a listing in wanted section.
1982 242 turbo. MVP coilover front and rear adjustable suspension. Bilstein HD. IPD 25/25 bars. 3" rusty MVP exhaust. Cosworth Sierra hot side T3 .48 with upgraded stock .42 compressor. Ported 90+. D&F Performance flowed 405 with enem V15 turbo cam, Clanky worn True Track diff. Flat hood 1979 242 front.

1993 245 Classic, 411k miles, enem V15. 5spd. IPD bars and chassis braces. New Simons sport exhaust from Scandix.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
Lando
Arthur Digby Sellers

Alternatively, you could remove the old one, flush it out, solder the leak shut with silver solder, pressure test and reinstall. If you aren't that good with silver solder a radiator shop will do this for about $40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
get on my lawn
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury

^Or just get a good used one and don't use acidic coolant or over pressurize it?

Usually it's not worth the time to solder up every tube when they pop.
If you send me $20 I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20 from people on the internet.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Yeah do the above if you can't find a good used original. Either way you want an original style part due to the way they designed the heater system.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
bobxyz
Board Member

How's your A/C? This might be your opportunity to swap to a '93 heater / r134 AC box instead of just replacing the heater core.

On my '85, the original heater core was replaced with an IPD core. What a hack job. I'm guessing that it was done by removing the dashboard and chopping an access hole instead of removing and splitting the box. The replacement core really didn't fit right - there were assorted wooden blocks, plumbers strapping tape and copious weatherstripping holding it in place. '85 is on left, '93 on right (click on img for full size)

See cleanflametrap.com for great dashboard and blower motor replacement instructions.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #7
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury

^To be fair, if all the vac doors work and it's the average POS 240, if you just death wheel the top of the heater box and remove the dash pad it does just pull right out the top without splitting the box and all that trouble.

Or cut it out the side if the fan works and you don't feel like taking the dash pad off, but the dash pad comes off easy with the cordless impact phillips and buzzing the steering wheel out of the way.

Hard to love half-disposable POS240 as a flat-rater
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:58 PM   #8
VB242
One hundred gift baskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
^To be fair, if all the vac doors work and it's the average POS 240, if you just death wheel the top of the heater box and remove the dash pad it does just pull right out the top without splitting the box and all that trouble.

Or cut it out the side if the fan works and you don't feel like taking the dash pad off, but the dash pad comes off easy with the cordless impact phillips and buzzing the steering wheel out of the way.

Hard to love half-disposable POS240 as a flat-rater
Going in heater core replacement #3, mine have all been over pressurised. I cut the top of my box of as above, much easier than complete disassembly
Old 10-09-2017, 11:02 PM   #9
clintsnow
Board Member

Great tips, thanks all. I think I’ve found someone selling a used core through turbo bricks so I’ll go that route.
clintsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:39 PM   #10
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Overpressure in the heater core can be helped with a restriction put in the heater hose. Stops the pressure surges. They have one stock in my F250.