• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Microsquirt + LS coil wasted spark stopped working

86740gle

I switched to LS coils wasted spark on my build. All worked well for a couple days until I had the car idling and warming up for an hour or so. I had just gotten the thing dialed in when it died. I have been trying to get started since ronni avail. I have 12v to the coils, and the ecu seems to be signaling for them to fire but I get nothing from any of the plugs.

Is the car/electronics still hot from idling for 1hr? Have you let it cool down and tried again?
It died this last Saturday. I finally got a chance to tear into the car again today.
Think I failed to mention that My meter was getting nothing to the coils until I removed the fuel pump relay and wired everything back in with a toggle switch. Meter gave me 12v from ign on and then ~5 on ign1/2 while cranking.
The only pin on the fuel pump relay I didn't jumper was the center.
Also checked the CPS and it seems to be working and is only a month old.

Maybe my settings killed the coils?
It's set the wasted spark, not wasted spark COP as it was idling a lot better on the former.
Everything else was the same as when I ran the dizzy.

Last edited:
Which version of microsquirt? Metal case or plastic case?
Plastic case

Messed around with it some more today. had it cranking with the laptop plugged in and kept losing the rpm sync from my cps so I swapped another in. Fixed that problem but still nothing in terms of spark.

What is Spark Output set to in tunerstudio?
Should be going high (inverted) for LS coils.

What is Spark Output set to in tunerstudio?
Should be going high (inverted) for LS coils.
It's set to rising edge and going high.
Tested the original coil on each ign wire and ign1 gave me spark ign2 did nothing.
Gonna go over my wiring once more.

If you pull the plugs, or connect up a spare set, you can use the "CAN bus/Testmodes -> OutputTestMode Inj/Spk" menu to fire the ignition without needing to crank it over. Depending on where you've wired igniton power, you may need to turn on the fuel pump first. This will at least let you test that all banks/COPs are wired up OK.

If you pull the plugs, or connect up a spare set, you can use the "CAN bus/Testmodes -> OutputTestMode Inj/Spk" menu to fire the ignition without needing to crank it over. Depending on where you've wired igniton power, you may need to turn on the fuel pump first. This will at least let you test that all banks/COPs are wired up OK.
Didnt know you could do this, very useful feature.
Tried it and got nice spark from ign1 as i did with cranking but ign2 is still dead.
going to try both once more with the LS coil instead just to be sure.
leaning towards something going bad on the ecu itself?

Back