• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

smoothys 242 Turbo Build

Nice work!

I have the same spoiler for my 79 242, it looks like it would fit fine with the ends, you just liked the cut look better?

Yes, I like that. I like that a lot.

Thanks

I wasn?t sure which way I wanted to go, either the flat black or the body silver color. The body color would of been more work and I think the flat black works better as there are a lot of other black accents on the car that complement each other.

I wasn’t sure if it would fit with the ends. You have a picture of your set up?

I haven't installed it yet. I switched my focus to the 78 for a while but intend to get back to the 79 soon. Setting it on the trunk, I don't see why it wouldn't fit. After looking at mine, I can see you didn't remove much material so its going to be very similar.

I'm definitely going to use it after seeing yours, looks really good.

Here's pics of it taped in placed, kind of crooked but just checking the length

UNs50ujl.jpg

Kzbuuojl.jpg

I haven't installed it yet. I switched my focus to the 78 for a while but intend to get back to the 79 soon. Setting it on the trunk, I don't see why it wouldn't fit. After looking at mine, I can see you didn't remove much material so its going to be very similar.

I'm definitely going to use it after seeing yours, looks really good.

Here's pics of it taped in placed, kind of crooked but just checking the length

UNs50ujl.jpg

Kzbuuojl.jpg

Yeah it will definitely look good for you as well

Great looking car, and the spoiler suits it perfectly. Nice work!

How did you attach the spoiler to the trunk lid?

Thanks

I used some double sided tape.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0796R7XYD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This stuff really grips. I would suggest if you go that route you mark exactly where you want it to go before you remove the adhesive tape. Once you set it I don't think it will come off easily or take some paint with it.

Today a buddy and I decided to go for a rip after being cooped up in the house all week. He has a Porsche 944 turbo and likes to cruise at the same style and pace as I do.

We don’t have a lot of twisty roads by my place but there is one decent road I frequent we decided to head out to this morning. Normally I don’t even come across another car but today there where for local police cruisers. It put a damper on the trip as we were going a lot slower then we normally would.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

IPD Billet T Cam swap

Lock down being in full effect I decided it was time to swap out my stock T cam for IPD Turbo cam.

My T cam seems to fall flat after about 4500 RPM and sometimes I like to rev the engine a little higher.

below is the image of the T cam that was coming out.
picture.php

These are the hushers that I installed last summer. They have about 2,000 miles on them and one was already split
picture.php

Upon removal of the bearing caps I noticed one of the caps has some pitting in it.
picture.php

It looks pretty bad. I hope it holds up :-(.
picture.php

After installing and removing the cam about 4 times I was finally able to set my lash to between 0.016 - 0.018. I put new hushers in although I am wondering if there is any point to this.
picture.php

I did a 25 minute break in at 2500 RPM, then I changed the oil and filter.

Here is the engine bay back together
picture.php

I set the cam timing to 2? advance and I am pretty pleased with the cars performance. I am running a 19T so I have zero turbo lag.

I also pulled my BMW R Nine T out of storage for its spring pre ride maintenance. For now an oil change is all that is needed but I am looking forward to warmer "care free" days

picture.php

Pits just hold a little more oil if it's not bad. No pics showed up though.

I never use the hushers, you just have to pick them out of the oil pickup screen after a while.

:lol:

Guess the Rubicon on the front fender was the giveaway

The hoist post kind of blocks it. Its my wife's Ruby but one of the things that makes her awesome is she prefers manuals like I do. As a matter of fact all of are cars are manuals! :cool:

My wifes 6 speed
picture.php

Also

I refer to this as my G (ghetto) wagen
picture.php

Last edited:
Parts Courtesy of Wagonmeister

A friend of mine had a couple of parts he ordered from Dave aka wagonmeister. After reviewing what was available on line in regards to strut tower braces I really liked the wagonmiester flat nose strut brace. However being that I am running a valve cover cap vent I was concerned about the fitment of the brace and the vent.

picture.php

It is definitely a little closer then I hoped. There isn't contact but there probably will be when the engine twists under load. Another caveat is that the brace needs to be removed to twist off the valve cover / 710 cap. Not ideal but for now I will live with this.

picture.php

I also installed a pair of Dave's snow caps as well. This was purely a cosmetic upgrade but I thought it may look good with the other black accents the car already has.

picture.php

picture.php

Up next some long awaited stuff from BNE!

BNE's got it!

I received some parts from Ben over the past few weeks and decided it was time to install these to my car.

picture.php

Up first were the QSRC. I have had these since December but have finally got around to getting these in.
picture.php

A couple of things I wasn't aware of before installing these is that there would some interference between these pieces and the dust shield. As shown below you can see the relief added to the dust shield stamping for the stock tie rod location. I also found out the stock location for the ball joint also had a relief stamped into it which would create an interference when lowered

picture.php

After so heating and "clearancing" I ended up with this ridiculous looking dust shield
picture.php

At least there was no longer any contact but I doubt I will be able to use the othe QS locations without additional clearance. I guess most people don't use a dust shield when using these brackets?
picture.php

I settled on using the single notch for the Ackermann plates. I read in someones else build thread that this represented the stock location. My hope is after installing these the will eliminate the annoying bump steer I have been encountering

Up next will be the upper strut bearings followed by the torque rods.

Back