• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Would a blown headgasket cause low compression?

okoye

I'm wondering if an extremely blown head gasket would cause low compression?

I know that I over heated it at least once into the red on my way back from florida. my compression readings are

cyl 1: 150psi
cyl 2: 120psi
cyl 3: 30psi
cyl 4: 20psi

any advice?

Yes.

Implied_Facepalm.jpg

I'm wondering if an extremely blown head gasket would cause low compression?

any advice?

Yes and Yes

Complete standard response: Remove head, have head pressure tested and checked for flatness, clean block surface, install new head gasket, reinstall head and bolts, torque to specification.

My response: Remove head, clean gasket surfaces, reinstall head with new gasket.

Welp the gasket was super blown on 3-4 so that's the issue. gonna get the head taken care of.

I have similar scenario - I had a small leak around an oil passage in the passenger rear of the engine of a donor engine.. didn't catch it until today. My compression is 120 across the board and the engine feels super doggy - I always smelt exhaust fumes so I figured it has a massive crack in the he exhaust manifold or the turbo was junk. After pulling those off (and breaking 2 bolts in the head FUUUUU) it was all mint. I'm thinking the engine is good to go the bad head gasket was just messing up the compression (fingers crossed =X).

120 isn't bad. was it an NA or turbo motor? get the head checked. My head was warped and had to be straightened. I was told to get a new head as well. But I'm able to use the one I've got currently.

Back