• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo C30 AWD Conversion

I was actually really surprised that the end user went out of their way to keep it Volvo, and then further surprised at how many factory spec parts got used. I know the C30 fit into the end of the Ford era, but with so much AWDification of the world, I'm honestly surprised they didn't just offer it up since it's so many off the shelf components?

I read that earlier. I didn't think the Elevate conversion got crushed by Elevate though.

The U.S. spec C30 also got a much less flexible computer for tuning purposes. :-(

You know at the Volvo proving grounds here in AZ they had a C30 (back when they first came out) that had the AWD and V8 from the S80 swapped in it tooling around.

Funny how volvo has always had the ability to build such cool cars but they always seem to struggle to put together the right parts to make them more fun.

They only built the really good stuff for executives or for r&d. Like the C30 mentioned above and if you look at the Per Gylhammer cars. Lots of cool stuff that just didn't happen for production.

Back in 98 at the Rockleigh meet Volvo showed off the new C70 coupe and awd on the V70 wagons. I asked an exec why they didn't put the awd on the C70. He told me it was too small of a buying group to build a car for them. lol.

Exactly... I mean, I know a lot of us are grown up now but lets evaluate such things.
1. The cheapness of turbobricks lol
2. Yamaha V8 in XC90... no one buys it.
3. Ford and the SHO. Scarred for life.

It really probably doesn't make much sense from their brand, although... maybe that's changing? I think the BMW/Porsche/Mercedes that would compete never had the issue of the garbage interiors with components off of the family minivan to go along with the $60,000 sports car in the driveway. An M5 is a NICE car. Any of the hot Volvos of the Ford era have been accountants compromises.

I don't think the people on here were ever the target market for these cars.

The C30 was priced out of the reach of its target market. The interior quality of the C30 didn't match its MSRP.

I wonder how customers felt about seeing the same interior bits in the "cheap" P1 cars as they did the more expensive P3 models?

I don't think the people on here were ever the target market for these cars.

The C30 was priced out of the reach of its target market. The interior quality of the C30 didn't match its MSRP.

I wonder how customers felt about seeing the same interior bits in the "cheap" P1 cars as they did the more expensive P3 models?

I think pretty much every Ford based Volvo would be looked at as a failure in the industry regardless of what the target markets were no?

The C30 had some great potential but it was too expensive to hit the Ford Focus demographic that the chassis was built from.

The focus st uses the brakes to simulate limited slip, not so good for autocross/track as it can overheat the brakes. Do the Volvo's operate the same way?

Not to my knowledge. Installing the quaife unit from the AWD P1 parts bin is a popular mod.

I feel like a TON of cars use differential braking to assist/function like some diffs would. I really doubt it would cause much issue for autoX honestly.

Back