• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Badger

Small update/bump: No new paint for Badger just yet. No start problem was a combination of bad contact at ignition ecu and bad fuel pump relay.

Another big update coming soon as I've been tinkering with Badger quite a bit. ;-)

See?! This is what I love about 240's! "You can take the hooptie out of the 240, and you'll still have to take the fuel pump relay out of the hooptie." No matter how perfect the engine compartment, there's still a spare relay in the glove compartment if you wanna get home.

Glad it was nothing important.

You sir, have produced a jaw dropper. Every picture in this thread belongs in the inspirational 240 sticky.....icky.

It was a surprise hearing the "pffft!!" today. Gotta admit I didn't recognize what it was at first as I didn't see the steam, lol.

The full story...

I was browsing through a "Volvo" search on Portland Craigslist when I came up on a cheap "dry NOS kit" for $80 that was just listed and he used Volvo as one of his keywords. I thought it sounded really cheap for $80 it would be fun to mess with my roommate Kyle and I could resell it for $100-150 when I was done so I snapped it up.

I then started doing some research and figuring out what I wanted/needed to install it. Of course I wanted a few fancy bits and bobs so I was quickly looking at several more hundred to do it "right". So I decided to start searching CL for "nitrous" and see if I could find a wet nozzle and a gas solenoid to turn it into a "wet" kit. I figured a heater and remote opener would be nice addition also.

Then one of those terrible adds popped up that had no picture and a terrible/confusing description for a new "wet NOS kit" for $250. I called him up and went to look at what he had. It was all new in package stuff he had bought back in 2005 for his Nova and never used. New bottle with hi-flow valve and psi gauge, new 4-6 cyl universal NOS nitrous kit, a new NOS billet remote bottle opener, new NOS purge kit, new NOS bottle blanket, new NOS "quick release" bottle mounts, a new bottle heater element, 2 new blow down tubes and an extra hi-flow valve assembly.

I obviously snapped it all up and left with a big grin on my face that lasted all the way home. Once I got home I looked everything up on Summit and it comes to over $1400 for everything. SCORE!!! To make it even better, I listed the used "dry NOS kit" for $140 on CL and sold it the next day. After buying some wiring, relays and misc items for $40 I'm in this complete install $230 + $45 to fill the bottle.

I couldn't install it at home because I didn't want Kyle to see it so I hit up Sean (Hackster) to see if he wanted to help me install it at his place. Answer, "Hell yeah!"
So Sean and I spent a Friday evening/night installing it and I'm more than happy with how it came out.

I have to give a shout out here to Sean because I couldn't have done it that fast or cleanly with-out his help. Thanks, I definitely owe you!

Brief description of the install with a few pics to follow.

I installed the NOS Fogger nozzle into the plastic intake tube to give the best straight shot at the throttle body as I could. I also mounted it on the backside and slightly underneath so you cannot see it when looking at the engine compartment. The braided fuel and nitrous lines run down to their respective NOS solenoids mounted inside the transmission tunnel just past the clutch arm. Very hard to see while looking at the engine compartment unless you know they are down there and are looking for them.

The purge solenoid is mounted with the nitrous solenoid and vented into 3/16" copper tubing that comes out of the trans tunnel behind the block and goes straight up the firewall to the hood/cowel gap.

Sean made a new shelf on the right side of my trunk to mount the bottle. He then carpeted it and bolted the NOS "quick release" bottle brackets to it. We then ran the nitrous feed line to the nitrous solenoid.

Sean then removed, drilled, and tapped the fuel line banjo bolt for a fuel supply fitting and ran the braided fuel supply line to the fuel solenoid.

With all the hard parts installed we then tidied everything up with rubber grommets, clips, clamps and zip ties where needed.

For switches I wanted the interior to use stock switches so the average person would never know there was anything installed. I wanted a rear foglight switch by the headlights to run the heater, a 91+ AC switch to arm the system and open the bottle, a momentary defrost switch to activate the purge and another momentary defrost switch to activate/spray the nitrous/fuel. This activation may not be ideal for some situations, but it's how I prefer it to be over all the regular WOT and rpm activated switches. I basically wanted full control of it myself.

So while I was stringing wires front to back Sean wired up all the relays and switches to power everything how I wanted. We hooked up all the wiring, put all the switches in, powered it all up and with Sean's relay/switch wiring it worked exactly how I wanted.

Currently I'm running NOS's recommended "50 shot" jets and am very pleased with everything. I was planning on going up to "75 shot" jets and maybe even "100 shot jets" after I raced Kyle. I didn't want to make it too fast otherwise it'd be obvious.

So today Kyle and I finally got a chance to play around a little from a slow 2nd gear roll. Surprisingly the cars are about dead even. Kyle is in the 140rwhp range and I'm in the 115rwhp range + the "50 shot" which is supposed to be about 35whp. The main difference is I don't hit the nitrous until at least 3500rpm and I let off the nitrous while shifting. It takes me a split second to re-engage the nitrous. So I think Kyle has slightly less hp/tq, but it's always there and averages out to be about the same. I'm pretty sure he will take me out of the hole and I'll be playing catch-up to the 1/4 mile mark. I think I'm going to need the "75 shot" jets to beat him.

So we are looking forward to settling this safely and legally on the drag strip as soon as PIR opens up in a few weeks. Until then I'm sure we will both be tuning and tweeking. ;-)

Pic of the first $80 nitrous kit:

nitrous001.jpg

Pic of the new $250 nitrous kit:

nitrous002.jpg

Nothing stands out except the copper purge tube:

nitrous004.jpg

nitrous005.jpg

How it looks in trunk. Considering making a boxed in cover for that side so it's completely hidden.

nitrous006.jpg

Pic with the blanket removed so you can see the mounts and heater:

nitrous007.jpg

Rear foglight switch (on) that activates the heater:

nitrous008.jpg

Center console switches. AC switch powers up everything and opens bottle. First defrost switch sprays into motor, 2nd defrost switch purges and 3rd defrost switch defrosts rear window. :lol:

nitrous009.jpg

Pic of the fuel supply line tapped into the out of the fuel filter:

nitrous010.jpg

Pic of the solenoids mounted inside the trans tunnel:

nitrous011.jpg

Pic of the fogger nozzle mounted in the air intake tube:

nitrous012.jpg

Back