• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Josh's $300 242

sdturbo

300+ Member
300+ Club
Eco Bricks Club
Well i posted a few weeks ago that I picked up a beige 84 242 for $300

0.JPG

I havent done much with it other than putting a "new" drive shaft in it. I have been driving it a lot as it makes me feel like the big labausky, crusing in my beater listening to CCR.

This weekend the fun started.

First it was off to the coin wash to get the engine bay a hospitable place to start putting new toys on... more on that later.

Before
1.JPG

After
2.JPG

Then it was time to start the diet.

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

If anyone need brown interrior, pm me before it goes in the dumpster.

Some super light fiberglass seats i had laying around the shop
13.JPG

Little something I picked up at the PnP
14.JPG

I also picked up a t3, 90+mani, brown tops, g80 locker, 940rad/fan (love half price day at ecology) I have a MS lined up, an evo intercooler, and a B cam. Then its time to hit the track and see what a ~$600 race car can do.

It has some rust but not rotten by any means. It was a beach car so it has some surface rust (I like to refer to it as "patina") and it has a little rot in the 1/4 panel where someone fixed a dent with bondo and water got under it. Not a show car by any means but not rotten.

Some progress

I woked on the 242 a bit yesterday. I have been really busy with school/building other peoples cars so it hasn't gotten much love.

First we have the wagon full of parts pillaged from 50% off day at ecology
0.JPG

I decided to do a timing belt/water pump and just clean things up wile I was in there, got a little carried away and powder coated everything that came off...
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Ut oh, what is that line for? :oogle:
4.JPG

A dsm buddy donated a turbo he had in a trashbag in his parents back yard... I was worried as it didnt look very tidy but it spun fine and bearings feel excellent
5.JPG

I cleaned it up like new and measured the wheels. Its a to4b "V" trim with .84 hot side. Should be fun
6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Im happy about that, I hate water cooled turbos. Water lines just clutter up the engine bay, make turbo swaps messy, and I have never had a problem related to oil cooling. I have run water cooled turbos without the water a few times with no ill effects.

what are you going to do for a wastegate, manifold set up for that turbo?

The turbo is a to4b "V" trim with a .84 hot side. Manifold is a ported 90+ with a tial 35mm welded in at the collector. I will rock this setup until i pop the motor and do something crazy.

Anyway, progress today was getting the electric power steering finished up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iItsdzTMp9I

I took it for a drive today, its amazing much faster it is after the diet and the B cam. It will almost spin the tires now hahaha.

The turbo is a to4b "V" trim with a .84 hot side. Manifold is a ported 90+ with a tial 35mm welded in at the collector. I will rock this setup until i pop the motor and do something crazy.

Anyway, progress today was getting the electric power steering finished up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iItsdzTMp9I

I took it for a drive today, its amazing much faster it is after the diet and the B cam. It will almost spin the tires now hahaha.

Are you currently running the turbo? That thing should be good for enough air to blow that motor up.

Not yet. Im trying to get "stage 0" done then im going to mega squirt. Once i have it running nice on MS i will bolt the turbo ish on. I have not doubt I will kill the trans in the near future. Not real worried about the motor, big turbos don't kill motors.

Back