• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230 compound/sequential turbos

Some progress on the exhaust manifold and turbos placement and charge pipe routing and placement.

I only have 0.6 bar(9 psi) set as the base spring pressure for the two turbos. To see what happens to the boost pressure and spool of the small and big turbo. The small turbo will make the engine seems bigger to the big turbo so hopefully it will spool faster.

ignore the mess in the background
vOYprFsl.jpg

vTvn1jRl.jpg

SHMZMcJl.jpg

Damn you've been busy keep going and thanks for picking me up.......:gulp:

Regards
Hubert

Damn you've been busy keep going and thanks for picking me up.......:gulp:

Regards
Hubert

Yea a some progress but I'm out of welding sticks to my welder so no progress today sadly. Will resume tomorrow evening.

Thanks for posting the theory behind this and some of the reason why I'm doing this :)

Hello. Have got some progress now. Almost everything on the exhaust side is done now. Have also test fitted it in the car to and it fits no problem.

gxZ9wyKl.jpg

KX9QAXFl.jpg

bk0mMeJl.jpg

If you want to learn tig, find a used torch that has a gas valve on it. Hook it up to your arc welder, and practice with scratch start.

What thickness pipe/tubing are you using?

If you want to learn tig, find a used torch that has a gas valve on it. Hook it up to your arc welder, and practice with scratch start.

What thickness pipe/tubing are you using?

I have look in to doing something like that to my arc welder to make it a tig welder but that is for the future.

Pipe diameter of the small pipe is 2.6 mm and for all other pips it?s 1.5 mm thick. So I will need to add bracing so it doesn?t move when it gets hot.

How old are your rods? Have they been sitting out collecting moisture?

They are brand new but my welding skills are not the best but it?s not that easiest to weld thin tubing with a stick welder so. But it?s holding together and hopefully not leaking.

They are brand new but my welding skills are not the best but it’s not that easiest to weld thin tubing with a stick welder so. But it’s holding together and hopefully not leaking.

They are still better than mine. But, the fact you did your welds using one inspires me to actually sit down and put time on the one I have. If nothing else, I can use it to tack pieces together and then take them to someone who can do better welds than me. I just need to stop being a lazy ass... :rofl:

I?m using a steel brush to clean the area that I?m about to weld and I take the welding slag of to.

You might want to add wiping them with acetone after brushing. But give em a pressure test and they should be fine.

On the note of trying TIG with your stick welder. Its worth it. A torch runs like $100USD, then rent a bottle of 100%argon. Scratch start doesnt require a ton of fancy expensive equipment, and the control and weld quality can pay for themselves in the long run. Cracked manifolds are no fun, and even less fun if you're on a budget.

Its all coming along though! Keep it up. :cool:

I can't see the photos at work, but I will comment on the process.

They are brand new but my welding skills are not the best but it?s not that easiest to weld thin tubing with a stick welder so. But it?s holding together and hopefully not leaking.

I?m using a steel brush to clean the area that I?m about to weld and I take the welding slag of to.

My father stick welded everything. He learned on the job at a chicken plant, and his trick was to grind a bevel on any joints, then sand back farther. Sometime he did an ok job for someone who never had the best equipment or training. I use MIG for almost anything, can barely stick weld. But I am very good at torch welding and OK at stick, because I started out torch welding/brazing.
Keep practicing and clean/bevel your pipes. I would rather have something ugly that runs than have a trailer queen I can't drive.

One question on the design. I know very little about compound turbo design, except for tractor pull monsters. They would use the large turbo first in line, then small. They said the small would draw through the large and get some heat going, then the large turbo would spool, and the compressed air from the large would then be re-compressed by the small. (this is all cold side, I can't remember if they went small to large on the hot side) They also used alcohol and propane and other ways to get them to spool.
so I was wondering If this is a different design.

One question on the design. I know very little about compound turbo design, except for tractor pull monsters. They would use the large turbo first in line, then small. They said the small would draw through the large and get some heat going, then the large turbo would spool, and the compressed air from the large would then be re-compressed by the small. (this is all cold side, I can't remember if they went small to large on the hot side) They also used alcohol and propane and other ways to get them to spool.
so I was wondering If this is a different design.

I have only seen that the big turbo feed the small turbo and the small turbo first in the exhaust flow. I think they do the big turbo first to get lower back pressure and to get the most heat energy in to the big turbo. All the oem setups I have seen use the small turbo first in line to get it to spool faster and drive ability.

Update!

Needed to make a oil return in to the oil pan because the big turbo sits to low to make it to the stock oil return.

Little to no leaks in the exhaust manifold now after some pressure testing with soapy water.

It's tight on the cold side maybe some slight massaging with a hammer is needed :)

The wastegate to the big turbo is placed behind the cylinder head, Really the only place that was big enough for it (38 mm hurricane watergate)

FAJHBRsl.jpg

LQnVASVl.jpg

0JmNLICl.jpg

A question what is the smallest oem turbo with twin scroll.

It's needs to be twin scroll because i what to do a built in quick spool valve so it spool even faster same with the big turbo. Borg Warner have done something like this in a prototype.

Something like this. Not my picture.

ADegWMUl.jpg

Hi Marcus,
I dont have an answer for that. I've never run twin scroll but id like to say what your doing there certainly seems to be coming along well. Its certainly pleasing to my eyes. You have it fitting rather nicely in there. Keep at it.

Regards
Hubert

Last edited:
Back