• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Official LH2.4 EZK Wasted Spark Conversion - Installation Instructions

i used a 6 Cyl j somthingn or other ignighter from a mitsubishi and it works just fine. i ran the tach out put to the stock tach wire on the powerstage plug(red/white) and i also had to wire in the dummy relay to get the tach to work.

I didn't pay attention to the fact that the J723T power stage was for 6 cyl - I found that the tach signal from it doesn't work with my tach either. Added the relay with transistor - 86 to +, 85 to tach feed, 30 to ground. I still have the stock powerstage wired, so powerstage pin 1 feeds into the tach circuit via the original coil (1) terminal. I didn't need to add the EZK pulse signal. Without the ground, the tach didn't seem to register correctly. Have to tidy up all the wiring now.

1F225802-5CAE-4F1E-A1DC-E37FF4C6E61D_zpscgv3oedb.jpg

Last edited:
Wasted Spark Distribution

Is it just me or are people having problems getting a hold of Karl? Ordered my board from him and still no dice.???

Not good. Not good. I'd like to order 3 of these boards, which are needed for various projects.

It sucks because I really wanted to buy another board or two from Karl, but thankfully it looks like Fabian/Blabla will be selling an alternative.

Hey Guys,

Very soon I will be taking over distribution of the Buchka Wasted Spark boards from Karl. I'll handle all the sales and shipping. Watch for details soon. Just wanted to let you guys know they will be available again!

Thanks,
Chris (aka Duder, aka CFlo)

Hey Guys,

Very soon I will be taking over distribution of the Buchka Wasted Spark boards from Karl. I'll handle all the sales and shipping. Watch for details soon. Just wanted to let you guys know they will be available again!

Thanks,
Chris (aka Duder, aka CFlo)

Cool. Is there a list of outstanding orders yet to be fulfilled?

edit: I recieved a refund from Karl :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Just to clear Karl's name, he has given me a refund and a honest apology regarding the issue. Great guy, but it's a shame I couldn't get my chip since I already have all the pieces....... no 2-step on bti boards..... .....*sigh*

Hey Guys,

That's awesome news. I appreciate you're a busy man, but do you have a timeframe of when you'll be ready to rock and roll with these boards?

Edit/update: To answer my own question, a very short timeframe. Well done!

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5537934&postcount=1

https://cflomoto.com/

Last edited:
Switched to Bosch powerstage.

This should be the setup using these two parts:

Out From EZK: -> Into 203:____ Out From 203: -> Into 407:
1-4 output -------> Pin 2 _________ Pin 1 -------> Pin 3
2-3 output -------> Pin 7 _________ Pin 6 -------> Pin 1

Paul

This doesn't jive with the BTI indicated layout for connections between PS and coil - I wired mine following your layout & had to reverse the coil wires for it to run. It would seem I/O pins 2&1 are for 2,3 cyl, and 7&6 are for 1,4 cyl

Edit: Nevermind, the inputs from the board to the powerstage are reversed between the two schematics - that would account for it. My mistake was using your schematic as the wiring reference

Last edited:
fyi, I received parts from both BTI and CFlo in a timely manner.

I was able to get my wasted spark up and running with no issues. All parts very finely made and both were very easy to do business with.

The engine revs very smoothly out to 4500rpm. Too scarrred to take it out past 5k with 183,000 miles on it.

IMG_3004.JPG

IMG_3006.JPG

IMG_3007.JPG

pics don't show :(

fyi, I received parts from both BTI and CFlo in a timely manner.

I was able to get my wasted spark up and running with no issues. All parts very finely made and both were very easy to do business with.

The engine revs very smoothly out to 4500rpm. Too scarrred to take it out past 5k with 183,000 miles on it.

pics don't show :(

Awesome, glad to hear it! Nice installation too. Do you mind sharing a part number for the plug wire kit you used?

I re-hosted the pics. Looks like dropbox has some issues.

K9GZvDPl.jpg

R9yngWtl.jpg

ASX3Cykl.jpg

Thanks! I received the wire harness from Fabian at BTI. It's custom made and high quality. The internal end is a 4 pin microphone style connector. There is also a branch that runs over to the OEM coil. That end has a spade for power and a terminal for a relay.

Thanks! I received the wire harness from Fabian at BTI. It's custom made and high quality. The internal end is a 4 pin microphone style connector. There is also a branch that runs over to the OEM coil. That end has a spade for power and a terminal for a relay.

No problem. Maybe it wasn't obvious from what I wrote, but I was asking about the spark plug wires.

Unlike conventional ignition systems, waste spark DIS ignition systems use half the spark to fire the opposite spark plug unconventionally from the side electrode to the center electrode. Copper core standard plugs and copper core single platinum spark plugs are not designed to withstand this reverse polarity firing and will suffer premature gap growth due to center electrode erosion.

There's nothing special about "how" the wasted spark system fires the plug. They fire normally, but twice as often. Not sure how the author of the article above came up with the mumbo-jumbo about "reverse polarity firing" but yeah...that's not true.

Gap growth will stress ignition system components by requiring more voltage to fire, eventually leading to misfire, loss of performance and fuel economy. This degradation can be noticeable as soon as 20,000 miles after the plug is installed.

This part is true, and perhaps what this refers to is plugs wearing out more quickly in a wasted spark application due to being fired once per engine revolution, or twice as many times as a plug in a non-wasted (sequential) ignition firing order.

I suggest reading this post (#7) here, in regards to a V-6 engine.

David is a professional mechanic, and also a GM "tuner." In short, he understands this tech.

Ok, I see that explanation, but think about installing a wasted spark system on a Volvo redblock engine. We are using wasted spark (and not sequential coil-on-plug or otherwise) because there is no cam angle sensor to phase ignition timing to.

With a 2x2 coil pack and the Buchka board installed on the EZ117K system, we've got an alternating output from the EZK/WS controller, telling one of two circuits when to fire. Each set of coils has two outputs, paired as cyl. 1&4 and cyl. 2&3.

Within one of these circuits, how would the ignition system possibly "know" when to fire one cylinder with conventional polarity, and the other with reverse polarity? How would it allegedly switch between the two modes?

It can't know because there is no cam angle sensor to distinguish between compression stroke and exhaust stroke, which is why it's a wasted spark system in the first place...

I'm not an electrical engineer but I am a professional automotive engineer with over 12 years experience in the field, and I'm struggling to understand how that could possibly work.

Back