• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 fuel tank galvanizing, hot or cold dipped?

My powdercoat guy isn't willing to do that, and my fiance would kill me if I did that in the house haha, pretty sure the radiator shop is the key, they can just douche it out for me, I'll call them tomorrow, it can't cost much at all. I could do that in an environmental chamber at work, but it would be hard to slip that one past the boss...

Before you have the tank powdercoated take a good look inside. 240 tanks have a small expansion tank inside that I believe is made of plastic. It may not tolerate the heat of a powdercoat curing oven.

Wow!

That is new, never before heard information. I cannot believe that would extend to Chinese repro tanks.

The expansion tank is attached to the top of the tank which isn't shown in those pics.

240EvapSystem.jpg

So the question now is who has an old rusty tank they are willing to dissect to see what is actually inside?

Haha, I wonder if you can see it by sticking the phone in and taking a pic, I'll try it in an hour or so when I get out to the garage.

This tank, Volvo p/n 3517373, does not have anything mounted in the top. I couldn't get my phone, hand, or flashlight in there, so I stuck my collapsible magnet on a stick in there. There is absolutely nothing in the top of the tank, or anywhere else for that matter. No baffles, only a metal cup that is over 3" deep under the sending unit/pump assembly. Nothing like the pic of the cut open tank I posted earlier. The residue seems to just wipe off wherever I rubbed accidentally with the magnet handle. Maybe the plastic thing is in newer tanks.

<---* Digs out the old computer and re-hosts some old pictures*.

Once you find a camera that will drop down in the hole it should look like this:

Clean seams with no rust starting on the inside.

240%20Gas%20Tank%206_zpskjugroye.jpg

240%20Gas%20Tank%205_zps3f2xzn9j.jpg

And a clean cup in the bottom.

240%20Gas%20Tank%203_zpsjyxreysm.jpg

240%20Gas%20Tank%202_zpsrluqgvvl.jpg

Thanks man, I'll hopefully remember to order the inspection camera for my phone to check it out, I didn't see any rust in my limited view so far. That's a clean tank!

Ya right picked it up from a parted out 89 245 one summer vacation in Oregon.

I was thinking about that residue, any solvent volatile enough to dissolve it [acetone & MEK came to mind] is going to be just as dangerous as gasoline, so perhaps a handful of ~ 3/16" ball bearings and some CLP break free for the good ole shake N bake?

Of course break free is silicone based so you'd have to thourily rinse it out [with gas anyway?] so it doesn't kill the catalytic converter.

I just stuck my cheepie camera down there and it took pretty good pics.

CAMEDIA_D-545Z_1_L.JPG

Probably cheaper used than some high zoot thing for your phone ...

The inspection camera for a phone is about $15. No cat converters going on this car, it will never need inspection or emissions as it's registered as an antique. I thought about MEK, it doesn't leave a residue once things are cleaned, definitely explosive to work with but it should be safe after the last of it evaporates.

Back