• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

hesitates when accelerating

snafu

my friend has a 940 turbo and he says that it hesitates when he steps on the gas. I was wonder if you guys could help me figure out his problem.

I have had this same problem with my '85 740 GLE. Generally, when the engine is cold, but sometimes after extended hard running, the engine seems to die and causes the car to buck violently. I have a hunch that the problem is related to the spark plugs, and that they are dirty, fouled, or the wrong type. I have heard that platinum plugs aren't ideal for the NA Volvo 4 cylinders, and that the oem plugs work best. I would tell your friend to at least check his plugs, and if necessary, replace them. This should clear up his problems.
Till Next Time
Happy MOTORing
Billy

My car does the same thing. I heard that a loose throttle cable may cause the hesistation, not sure though, I know mine is loose.

You need to clean the throtle body. If you use cheap gass, as I did all through colege in my 1990 744, you will build up excess residue on the face plate of the throtel body. There will be some ugly lacquer on it.

The throtel sticks and has to break free of the laquer to open, but what is real scary is if it stick in the open position when you take your foot off of the gass!

My other thought is to look at the distributor.

Bite the bullet and get the good stuff. I personaly think that the Chevron / Techron is good. However better fuel gives a better cleaner burn. That should keep the T/B clean. Pulling it open is easy and you will be able to tell if that is your problem... it will be coated in a shiny colorful aray of crap.

My friend has been using 93, and when i pulled off the trottle body there was some black residue but it wasnt sticking. when he went to the local garage for an alignment they said he had an exhaust leak before the turbo. i dont know if these guys know what there talking about, but he does have 1 stud missing from the manifold.

I am not an expect at this stuff, yet 8) , but I don't see why and exhaust leak before the turbo would effect hesistation. I mean, when you think about it, what would cause the car to not go anywhere once you press the gas? definitally not the turbo. (feel free to prove me wrong here)

Check your hall sensor on bottom of distributor! Usually the wiring connector breaks. Also, oil seeps past ditributor o-rings and gums up hall sensor area. Good luck.

If the black gunk heats up it may become stick and cause the sticking. Also the hall sensor and the distributor are great places to look!

Good luck!

Actually, upon closer inspection of the problem, I determined that the hesitation only happens when my car is below 1/2 tank of gas, so it might be that the fuel is sloshing around in the tank, missing the pickup, and momentarily cutting off fuel to the engine. This probably isn't too bad for the motor, its just like the rev-limiter kicking in by accident...annoying. I can think of two ways to fix this problem...always have more than a half tank of gas, or get a fuel cell (with that foamie stuff inside so that the gas doesn't slosh about). Seriously...I want a fuel cell.

Till Next Time

Billy

stylngle2003 said:
Actually, upon closer inspection of the problem, I determined that the hesitation only happens when my car is below 1/2 tank of gas, so it might be that the fuel is sloshing around in the tank, missing the pickup, and momentarily cutting off fuel to the engine. This probably isn't too bad for the motor, its just like the rev-limiter kicking in by accident...annoying. I can think of two ways to fix this problem...always have more than a half tank of gas, or get a fuel cell (with that foamie stuff inside so that the gas doesn't slosh about). Seriously...I want a fuel cell.

Till Next Time

Billy

that is common, and what first occued to me when i read your post. it happens to me as well, especially when im drifting a right hand turn... it stalls and then catches again. and my sister's 745GLE also was a total pig under 1/2 tank of gas, she had replaced both pumps recently I will ask her if it fixed the problem.

I think that the brickboard has a faq about it, i don't remember exactally but the problem may be the intank pre pump, check the current draw through the fuse and look for the faq on the brick board.

Back