• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(Not*) Mediocre 242

Thanks. I always mix the 9000 and 900 up and have never seen another one of mine in the junkyard so I didn't know.

actually I think it's from a C900 notchback, which is a really rare car.

2ee324773981d0795298706dd252140e.jpg

actually I think it's from a C900 notchback, which is a really rare car.

The true SAAB 900 notchback was the prototype for the convertible. I believe they were made only in either 84 or 85, a one year deal. The "notch" is a 2 door with a trunk as the convertible has. I damn near bought one back in my SAAB days.

The pic is a 4 door turbo, also a rare bird in North America. I'm pretty sure they only offered it here for a single year, again around 84. Plenty of years of 4 door Turbo 900s around the world, but not in the States.

The true SAAB 900 notchback was the prototype for the convertible. I believe they were made only in either 84 or 85, a one year deal. The "notch" is a 2 door with a trunk as the convertible has. I damn near bought one back in my SAAB days.

The pic is a 4 door turbo, also a rare bird in North America. I'm pretty sure they only offered it here for a single year, again around 84. Plenty of years of 4 door Turbo 900s around the world, but not in the States.

Yep, true. Also rare is the 5 door car! Man... I haven't driven a 900 in a looong time.

Whoops, now we're just SAABing up Tate's thread :lol:

on Friday I was at a brewery with the 242 and watched a guy take pictures of it in the parking lot.

When I was in highschool I had a really nice 900 SPG and one time I was pumping gas and a guy just walked by and said "that car is gay"

SAABs just don't get the love :lol:

I approve of the Saab stories. They're quirky, interesting cars.

On my drive to work today, I noticed 5th gear really only pops out when I let off the throttle a little, even at light throttle application. I don't really have any idea what's wrong with it, and I don't want to put much more into a transmission that may or may not break at any time. So now I'm casually looking for a TKO 500.

on Friday I was at a brewery with the 242 and watched a guy take pictures of it in the parking lot.

When I was in highschool I had a really nice 900 SPG and one time I was pumping gas and a guy just walked by and said "that car is gay"

SAABs just don't get the love :lol:

On my drive to work today, I noticed 5th gear really only pops out when I let off the throttle a little, even at light throttle application. I don't really have any idea what's wrong with it, and I don't want to put much more into a transmission that may or may not break at any time. So now I'm casually looking for a TKO 500.

I was just in here for a cheap pun. Saabs are cool.

Why not a GeForce? Bolts on, shifts better, probably the same cost once you figure everything else out.

I was just in here for a cheap pun. Saabs are cool.

Why not a GeForce? Bolts on, shifts better, probably the same cost once you figure everything else out.

I wouldn't do a Gforce. If I was staying T5, it would have to be an A5 with a Gforce case. But then the problem is the 2.xx first gear, the 26 spline input shaft, and the cost. I've seen used "rebuilt" ones for sale for ~2300-2800. Add to that the new clutch disk (~$300), new rear end ratio (~$200+$300 service) and that's about $1000 extra over a tko 500. A brand new tko 500 that also bolts on to my Kaplhenke plate is $2450. Plus it has a 3.27 first gear, which is good with my 3.73 rear end. It'll be brand new, cheaper, and still have a higher torque rating than most A5s.

Last edited:
Is it possible the way you have your boot set up combined with the position of your shift handle -- that tension from the boot is pulling it out of 5th? Mine would occasionally do that in 4th until I made some adjustments. Only did it when the gearset was unloaded. If I was cruising under load (even light), accelerating or decelerating - no problem. But when I eased off the gas to begin slowing down, as I unloaded the tranny, it would slip out of gear.

You've probably already checked that off your list....

I have. That and shifter stops were the first thing I checked. I drove with no boot at all yesterday and it still popped out.

I am glad you approve of Saab stories since the Volvos and Saabs are really close relatives, even if no one wants to admit it...

Your description of popping out of gear is the EXACT description that I heard for more than a decade from people with bad pinion gears in their Saabs. (I got into a 25 year "business" starting with Saabs with bad 5 speeds) I'm no expert on the T5, but I'd happily bet a night of drinking beer (no loser bet) that one of your shafts is walking back and forth in the case. I upped my bet when I read that you've eliminated something pushing the shifter around and/or incorrectly set stops.

I am glad you approve of Saab stories since the Volvos and Saabs are really close relatives, even if no one wants to admit it...

Your description of popping out of gear is the EXACT description that I heard for more than a decade from people with bad pinion gears in their Saabs. (I got into a 25 year "business" starting with Saabs with bad 5 speeds) I'm no expert on the T5, but I'd happily bet a night of drinking beer (no loser bet) that one of your shafts is walking back and forth in the case. I upped my bet when I read that you've eliminated something pushing the shifter around and/or incorrectly set stops.

That's exactly why I took the transmission apart in the first place. Before I swapped to a hydraulic clutch, second gear would pop out on poorly rev-matched downshifts. When I took apart the trans, I found the counter shaft had some play. So I got a heavy duty bearing support and reshimmed the counter shaft. It no longer has any play. I also reshimmed the input shaft bearing so there is no play in the main shaft either. Since then second gear has stopped popping out, but now fifth gear does.

A few posts above, when I had my transmission out the second time, I installed new fifth gear keys, springs, and synchros.

I got fed up with my old T5, and happened to be in Arizona for thanksgiving where I picked this up:

PIzprGRh.jpg

It's a TKO 500. I wish it had the torque rating of the 600, but I really like that I won't have to change the clutch or rear end ratio. Plus who am I kidding? I won't make 500 ft lbs of torque, especially on this turbo. I also cut the input bearing retainer to work with my hydraulic throw out bearing. It's pretty much bolt in. I just have to swap output yokes. Maybe the transmission crossmember will need modification, but hopefully it doesn't.

kB8CdSXh.jpg

Anyway, I'm going to put it in soon, but noticed that my transmission doesn't have the normal breather. In pictures I've seen online, the TKO breather sticks up a ways and would probably hit the tunnel. I have a 0.375" inch hole that I need to do something with. Does anyone have a good idea what I can use for a low profile breather so junk won't get in the transmission?

gnOPJIbh.jpg

Back