• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The "dipper" 245 Build-Thread

46_TE05-091_thumb.jpg

Black wheels do that (ref: Exposure) I'd have left the lips. The great thing about plastidip though is you can remove it fairly easily if you get tired of a setup. I also love the funky colours. Blaze pink centres with polished lips would look tits, but I'd probably get annoyed by it after a while.

Yea, I would like that, but my lips look like trash. If I was to do the lips I would just do it by cutting a lime and peeling the lips. Haha. I might end up doing the purple to match all the neochrome.

I like them black a lot more. Ideally you would polish the lip but this looks pretty sweet like it is.

Do you ever think about going single round lights with a flathood? If it were my car I would do that and take off the windshield banner. That being said, just keep doing what you like and having fun with it!

I like them black a lot more. Ideally you would polish the lip but this looks pretty sweet like it is.

Do you ever think about going single round lights with a flathood? If it were my car I would do that and take off the windshield banner. That being said, just keep doing what you like and having fun with it!

I have thought about that route, but decided that I really like the quad squares a lot. I feel like the rounds go against the boxiness of the 240. I am going to go flathood though, I actually have a flathood I bought from a member that I need to go pick up. And then when I can a afford the grill/surrounds I'll be doing the single squares like Bamse's car.

Thanks for the kind words! It's definitely fun, and I love it!

leave the centres, and polish the lips. start with 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 then mothers aluminum polish.

Thanks for the tip! Looks like I'll be buying some sand paper soon!

Damn dude, the car looks great! Now that I no longer need one, there are tons of smaller boxes at work I could've used for the roof rack lol. Cool horns btw.

UPDATE: (Finally)

Hello TB, I haven't been very active on here lately, mostly just lurking, so I'm sorry about that.

Nothing really big happened for a while. I figured out that my intermittent no-start problem was the in-line fuel pump, so I drove the car around and when it wouldn't start, I would use a tire iron to beat on the pump while I cranked it. I changed the oil. Then, I bought some headlight film on eBay and put that on, you know... because priorities. We tried to put some of it on my brother's Bugeye Wagon too, but it was too hard to get it to go on cleanly since the headlights are so round, so it ended up on my driver's side corner light for a little.

Over Christmas Break I got in an argument with my dad about when I would be able to bring the car to his shop to catch up on all the maintenance as well as get the exhaust done. Long story short: He told me I couldn't drive it anymore until it is legally registered(meaning smogged, as I've already paid the DMV fees).
I decided that it would be best to just take this time/opportunity to fix all the problems the car has and to just catch up on maintenance. I figure I might as well do it while I am lucky enough to live 1/2 a mile from school and have a girlfriend who has a car.

Christmas came around and I got the neochrome NRG slim quick release I have been wanting, so I put that on within 5 minutes of opening it. Lol. It looks almost just like the eBay one, but it is much better quality.
I also got a GoPro Hero 4 from my brother, I am super stoked about that.

I finally got to take my car to the shop at the beginning of last month and have been able to make it over there on most weekends to work on it.

I started off by replacing the tranny mount, as it was way past its prime. To get the tranny crossmember out of the way, I decided I might as well pull the exhaust off right then. No pictures of any of that though.
Next, I replaced the o2 sensor, and then the fuel pump and filter. The filter contained a black mixture out one side that I assume consisted of the old pump, and gasoline. The other side flowed nice clean gas, so that goes to show how well the OE filters work. No pics of this either.
After I was done with that, the misfire the car has had forever seems to be gone, so I am insanely happy with that.

Next thing on the list was to go through and change all the bushings in the rear end as I have all kinds of clunks/grinds/movements from the back in too many situations. At this point, the car was just in the parking lot at the shop, where I normally do all the work. I decided to do it one thing at a time, so I started with the passenger side torque rod then reinstalled, then did the panhard bar next then reinstalled, and then I realized that I had 3 new panhard bar bushings and one missing new torque rod bushing.

So I decided to leave the driver's side torque rod, and pulled off the passenger side trailing arm... this is where I realized that it was bent from what I am guessing was a poorly placed tow hook.

This wasn't too big of a deal, I left the car where it was and got another trailing arm from the local Pick N' Pull the next day. Changed the bushing in that and then reassembled it all loosely and moved it into the shop to finish the rest.

By now I had the new torque rod bushing and when I ordered that I decided to order a new water pump since I noticed the o-rings looked prehistoric/leaky and then I sprung for a new thermostat and radiator hoses as well.

Back to the bushings: I got the torque rods, and the other front trailing arm bushing replaced. All that was left was the big dreaded axle-to-trailing-arm bushings. For that, I headed to Home Depot with Google on my side and bought $100 worth of **** that I thought I might need/use to get the job done. I ended up only using a modded piece of 2" pipe, a long bolt, some washers, a nut, and an assortment of pieces for a ball joint press, but I got the job done fairly quickly and easily.

I got it all put back together and preloaded the suspension, tightened it all up (after being awake for over 48 hours) and moved it out of the shop. I finally felt like I was getting close.

I came back that same week on a Tuesday and put in the new water pump. Came back on Thursday and put on the new radiator hoses after flushing the system. I ran out of time and left early, but something is better than nothing.
That next weekend, I threw in the new thermostat, pulled off the overflow tank and cleaned it out, and then "burped" the system.

Then after school on that Monday, I went to the shop, put my fan back on, and took my car to the exhaust shop with my new catalytic converter. I took them some 3/8ths flanges that I had my brother make from the gaskets I had, and told the exhaust shop to tuck a new exhaust as high as they could. I also told them to just match the size of the cat, and to put in a glasspack to hopefully take care of some drone. When I took it over there, they said it would be done by Wednesday since it was closing time when I dropped it off. I picked it up on Thursday and I love the way it sounds.
Upon, closer inspection I notice that they didn't put in any muffler, it's just the cat and a 2.5 inch straight pipe. I might add in a cherry bomb where the factory second muffler goes and then tighten up the last bend of the exhaust so that it isn't at such a weird angle, an it'll hopefully change up the sound a little and clear that rear "diffuser" thing that got damaged when the old exhaust fell off, so I can reinstall it.

On Saturday, my girlfriend and I went over to the shop and I fixed the window switches, and the driver's door handle. I adjusted the pull on it, and I added a return stop since the original was broken. I also put in the exhaust gaskets that I had forgot to leave with the exhaust shop, I still need the one after the cat. I did manage to break the speaker in the driver door. I pulled apart the passenger side door since the handle stopped working for the second time, and surprisingly, my rig job has held up. The pot metal however... sadly has not.

Yesterday, I went to the shop to help my dad and I put the heat shield/hose back on for the thermostatic air cleaner since that is something that a smog tech might get me for.

Today I took my girlfriend to Pick N' Pull, and surprisingly, she loved it there! Haha. She had a blast searching for the little things her Mk4 Jetta needs and I grabbed a door handle for the passenger side of the Volvo so I should be good to go with that.

Hopefully I will smog the Vo' tomorrow and then after I figure out what the clunk is in the rear end I will be able to start daily-ing it again. "Pumped" is an understatement.

Pic from last night just because:

Cheers,
Max.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Smog!

I got to the shop today and let my car warm up. We took it over to the smog shop and the car developed a missfire. It did this the first time I smogged it when I originally got the car too.

It honestly barely makes it on the dyno so that was a little challenging getting it on there.

At first, we decided just to put the "sniffer" on it to see how it'd do. It seemed fine so we ran it.

The test went super fast which is a good sign. It passed all around and then I went back to the shop and put the bumper/air dam back on. And then I got to bring it home finally! I'm so ridiculously excited to be driving it again.

As always:
Cheers,
Max.

That problem posted above is very intermittent. I'll get around to it soon. Lol. But anyways, it's storytime:

A few years ago, I loaned my friend $100 dollars to get the windows on his Subaru tinted. He decided that since it has taken so long to pay me back, that he would just pay to get my windows tinted and I wasn't going to argue with that. I went with an 8% in the back and a 20% on the two front driver and passenger windows.

I kept hearing about a Volvo shop close to me and finally after talking to Patrick Dickman(tuff240), I was able to come meet a bunch of Volvo lovers and that was super fun.

The owner of the shop, Shawn(I don't know if he's a member), was kind enough to give me all the White LED bulbs to swap all the interior lights out which I have always wanted to do. I did the conversion on Friday and I really like it. I went from having no interior lights to having LEDs after bypassing the rheostat.

That's all I have for now, but more is coming soon as I got a job at a shop in town so I'll be able to buy more **** for this thing!

Cheers,
Max.

Back