• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16V Turbo 242

Looking good.

The E-brake solution is something I will remember to copy one day!

I am considering the group A intercooler for my 240. Does it fit with the stock 240 IC mounts and does the wide 940 NA radiator fit?

Looking good.

The E-brake solution is something I will remember to copy one day!

I am considering the group A intercooler for my 240. Does it fit with the stock 240 IC mounts and does the wide 940 NA radiator fit?

I'm not sure if it fits with the stock brackets. I don't have any to test (and no front end on the car to confirm).

Not sure about the big radiator either. I bought a 240 radiator and thought afterwards I should have went with the big rad. I talked to the guy at DO88 (Fredrick?) Who said the big radiator and the group-a intercooler has been done, but some modifications to mounting were needed. I have thought about getting rid of this rad in order to get the bigger rad.

Yoshifab order has been placed.

I'm not sure if it fits with the stock brackets. I don't have any to test (and no front end on the car to confirm).

Not sure about the big radiator either. I bought a 240 radiator and thought afterwards I should have went with the big rad. I talked to the guy at DO88 (Fredrick?) Who said the big radiator and the group-a intercooler has been done, but some modifications to mounting were needed. I have thought about getting rid of this rad in order to get the bigger rad.

Yoshifab order has been placed.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have seen the wide radiator combined with this intercooler. And the modifications are probably the two C-shaped extended pieces of plastic of the end tank bottom that need to be trimmed. Oh and a small hole for the drain in the X-member. Back in 2009 I test-fitted one in my 240 but had no IC that would co-operate.
Talked with DO88 too but forgot to ask the details, the wide rad was no problem indeed.

This Group A replica uses the original IC brackets and wide 940 radiator:

http://gatebil.no/elmia-2014-perfekte-kopi-av-volvo-240-turbo-gruppe-a/

Anyway. You have the nicest intercooler option for the 240 chassis. Best way to go, my opinion.

I feel like I'm just collecting parts and not actually accomplishing much these days. Got a few inches of snow last night, so priorities switch to getting rid of the parts car s60r and get my two v70rs fixed up and sold.

BUT parts.

New Hester core/blower motor assembly. Comes with mounting brackets, switch and wiring. I put the can in there for reference. All I want/need are defroster vents.

I got a trutrack. I was really wanting to try out a wave track, but the exchange rate is killer and I couldnt bring myself to spend the money. It will be a longer term goal. I have a 4.10 ring and pinion to match the diff.

I ordered some bearings from work. They're in Volvo boxes. The "NE" bearings are made in Germany. The unnamed bearings for the rods are made in Japan. I'll run them.

And now for the biggest score of the day. A v8 T5 box, with all bearings for a rebuild and gaskets. I'll need to grt synchros and other little parts. Also included 2.95 gear set! New. Friggin rights bud.
Oh yeah it's got a short shifter on it too. Probably an eBay special.

My yoshifab order should be shipping on Tuesday.

I bought a gun barrel cleaners so I can clean the oil passages in my block. That's this weekend's goal.

Jordan

I haven't touched the 242 in a couple weeks. Been working 6 days a week for 2 months now and haven't had a desire to get to work on it.

In 2013 a guy called me and told me he had a57 444 that was a great candidate for restoration. He wanted 2500$ for it. At the time I didn't have the money or a place to put the car so I declined. Fast forward a couple years and he phones me again. Still has the car. Crusher offered him a couple hundred bucks for the car and tells me, that I could have it for a couple hundred bucks. He tells me it's still in good shape for a restoration. He has had it for 40+ years. But he is a 2 hour drive away. At that price, the drive out is worth it even if it goes to a scrap yard.

Guy didn't lie. The only rust is some under the rubber door sills and a finger hole in the spare tire well.

The front fenders, grille, core and hood are just resting on the car. The rear fenders are in the shop.

Undecided what to do. It will stay stock. Do I rebuild the engine and transmission and throw it in but leave the "patina". Or do we spend 10k on the car. Either way, when were done with it, it will be sold off.

Jordan

I would leave the paint as it is, and rebuild engine and gearbox. but that's me, i like those old volvo's unrestored.

Not much progress in the last while. It was busy season at work. I don't usually feel like working on cars, after I just spent 10-12 hours working on them at work.

My bottom end is together.
The rear end has been disassembled, blasted, cleaned and painted black. The true track, 4.10 and all new bearings are ready to go. UglyDuck is actually doing all this for me. I've supplied him with a solid spacer for the pinion rather than the crush sleeve. Hiperfauto supplied the specs, and a friend machined it for me.

I have found front fenders, and core support/headlight supports from a late car.

Almost bought an mspro at Thier sale but didn't. A few days later they came out with a newer one, so I think that turned out for the best.

I'll try and get some pictures.

Edit- I also got my Yoshi fab order. T5 cross member, engine and tranny mounts, CAS adapter (still need to find a sensor), hi res disk. Probably forgetting other things that showed up.
Jordan

Last edited:
tumblr_m8xlvfMIwz1r736qco1_500.gif

with high hp, the crush sleeve can continue to crush leading to slop in the pinion and premature failure of the rear end

The bottom end is pretty well together. I need to strip and paint an oil pan for it.

Picked up a momo wheel locally for almost nothing.

Found some fairly rust free fenders and core support. Traded a bunch of parts I had laying around for them.

Matt (aka uglyduck, if anyone remembers) set up my rear end for me since he had a little free time. Blasted it and painted it for me too. I just finished installing the kaplenkhe TAB bearings.

I have a problem though. It lays with the pinion flange. It's in there, but only about half the threads of the nut actually engage. Everything on the pinion was the same, until the Thread- they're much shorter than the pinion which came out.

I'm thinking this 4.10 gear set came out of a 1041 diff and might possibly use a different flange? Does anyone know if there are different flanges? The one I need would have a deeper pocket for the nut?

Once I get a head gasket, I'll get the head on and manifolds.
Then it will be time to rebuild the transmission.

Jordan

Looking at your block and those rubber mounts hanging off it...

A regret I have is not having built new engine mounts for it. Since you haven't painted it yet I'd consider coming up with a better solution. Buchkas, I believe on their 16v car, had brackets which picked up the cross member mounting bolts on the frame rails. I like that idea a lot, but even a better design that mounts to the cross member still would be worth the effort. My header makes life difficult, but it's something I wish I could have anticipated wanting way earlier in the build.

I have the same mounts, I don't love them (mostly because I think they are way overpriced for what they are). If you run them, I'd start thinking third engine mount... which is where I'm at.

Have fun!

Back