• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vehicle weight (740 wagon)

V8wagon

Has anyone weighed a 740 wagon (overall weight or, better yet, corner weights)?

Wondering what a stock vehicle has for true curb weight (vehicle full of fluids, no driver/passengers, no cargo).

I am sure it varies a bit over time as options and safety equipment etc changed so be sure to post you model and year if you post an answer (and anything non-stock that might impact the numbers).

Interested to see if my V8 LS1 conversion car is lighter or heavier than stock. I weighed my car but I will wait to post those results :) .

Has anyone weighed a 740 wagon (overall weight or, better yet, corner weights)?

Wondering what a stock vehicle has for true curb weight (vehicle full of fluids, no driver/passengers, no cargo).

I am sure it varies a bit over time as options and safety equipment etc changed so be sure to post you model and year if you post an answer (and anything non-stock that might impact the numbers).

Interested to see if my V8 LS1 conversion car is lighter or heavier than stock. I weighed my car but I will wait to post those results :) .

A stock Redblock engine* weighs 301 pounds....your conversion is heavier and don't try to deny it :)

*add maybe 50 pounds for all turbo stuff, that was a complete N/A motor I weighed.

Last edited:
But my stock 740 engine weighs like 300 Kilos and has a heavier battery, so he's probably right in there.
IIRC I scaled at 5400 on the trailer

Your stock 740 engine weighs 660 lbs.???

No, it doesn't. I've shipped several B230FT's and with the down pipe, harness, computers etc, on a pallet, the weight was right at 500 pounds.

OP, the weight varies a couple of hundred pounds, depending on how they are equipped. My loaded 1995 945 Turbo weighs about 3,300. A 740 NA wagon plain Jane, no sunroof, manual seat car with leather interior I used for a shop car a few years ago weighed 3,120 with 1/2 tank of gas.

I guess it just seems heavy, 210Kg w/ alt and starter according to Volvo, but it certainly is substantially more than a B230 I don't have the B230 spec, but B23ET is 170Kg

Vehicle weight full fuel, no occupants 1330-1430KG for '84 760
Looks like 462 vs LS1 - 457.6 lbs incl power steering and auto flywheel.

Last edited:
1992 740 wagon w LS1 V8 and 6spd manual weight

Here is a description of the configuration/condition of my car when I weighed it so that other people know what something like this weighs. As you can see nothing has been stripped from the car etc.

Vehicle specifications:
  • 1992 Volvo 740 wagon
  • Originally a turbo with automatic vehicle
  • Power windows
  • Stereo with power antenna
  • Heated seats
  • Stock OEM manual seats (leather seating surfaces)
  • Stock 15" aluminum wheels and stock size tires (195/60R15)
  • Has spare tire/wheel
  • Has OEM jack
  • Has sunroof (manual sunroof because electric motor stopped working but electric motor was in a box in the vehicle when I weighed the car)
  • Stock shocks and springs (from what I can tell)
  • Stock front anti-sway bar (again from what I can tell)
  • Stock rear axle
  • OEM washer fluid bottle with both pumps etc
  • OEM coolant reservoir
  • OEM radiator and fan
  • OEM full size battery mounted in driver side front of engine compartment (stock location?)
  • ABS equipped (ABS motor etc all still in place/connected)
  • Some of the OEM engine compartment wiring still exists even though it isn't connected to anything (room for a little weight savings)
  • OEM dash/gauges
  • Does not have 3rd row seats
Conversion information:
  • Basically stock GM LS1 V8 engine from a 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird (aluminum block and aluminum heads with OEM nylon intake, OEM rail etc.)
  • Goodridge braided stainless PTFE high pressure fuel line
  • GM fuel filter/regulator
  • Center Volvo fuel pump removed
  • High flow fuel pump mounted in-tank on new OEM module (replaced stock pump and in-tank wiring)
  • Take-out GM factory harness and 2000-2001 Camaro/Firebird LS1 PCM
  • Harness still has all of the un-used connections etc. (noting done to reduce the harness weight etc)
  • GM truck oil pan (for now, needs to be changed to a different pan)
  • Factory cast iron exhaust manifolds
  • Full Camaro accessory drive with GM power steering pump, GM alternator, GM Camaro/Firebird style LS1 compressor
  • OEM engine mounts with fabricated adapter brackets
  • Camaro/Firebird Tremec T56 6-speed manual transmission
  • OEM GM Corvette clutch and flywheel (cast iron flywheel – not aftermarket aluminum flywheel)
  • Steel driveshaft

Weight with 1/2 tank of fuel, all other fluids full, no driver:

Total = 3272 lbs

LF=952 lbs
RF=892 lbs
LR=731 lbs
RR=697 lbs

Front%=56.5%
Rear%=43.5%
Left%=51.4%
Cross=49.5%

Note side to side weight offset not too surprising given ride height issues side to side that need to be corrected.

For reference, a fully dressed (with accessory drive and oil pan) GM LS1/LS6/LS2 V8 engine weighs around 400 lbs.

Hope this is of interest.

Jason

Last edited:
Pulling the 5.0L out of mine to replace with an LS3. I weighed the 5.0L tonight. I set it up like the LS3 will be when I receive it so the weights are somewhat comparable. Intake, ignition, exhaust manifolds, balancer, water pump --- no clutch, flywheel, PP, starter, accessories/brackets. The 5.0L weighed 410 lbs. That's with aluminum heads. I'll add the LS3 weight once I pick it up. Suspect the weight will be pretty close similarly configured -- that is, around 400 lbs. as described above. Around 450-460 once starter, flywheel, accessories are added.

Jason - where does your 'fully dressed....400 lbs." number come from?

I had my N/A 89 740 on the weighbridge on Saturday. It was almost 1520kg even. Take me out of that and it's 1438 with about 15L of fuel in the tank.
Works out about 3163 pounds.

My 82 242 was 3036 lbs. with about 7/8ths of a tank of fuel, but the spare/jack/tools out of the trunk. That's with 5.0L, T5z and Ford 8.8" rearend. Front/rear was 53.5/46.5. Cross weights 50/50 with slight coil adjustments.

I'll post up the LS3 weight once I get it in the shop.

Took a bit longer than I'd hoped -- but with my wife's help we scaled the new engine today. Put it in the same configuration as the Ford was when I weighed it --- no flywheel, no oil filter, no fluids, no accessories -- but ignition, intake and exhaust manifolds in place.

Ford thin-cast 5.0L (8.2" deck, aluminum heads, Explorer aluminum intake, SS tube shorty headers) - 411 lbs.
All aluminium LS3 (9.2" deck, alum block/heads, plastic intake, cast iron headers) - 393.4 lbs.

FWIW - the Ford steel headers weighed 14 lbs. and Chevy cast manifolds weigh 22 lbs. So when I put tubular shorties on it (likely - the GM cast units won't fit anyway), I believe I'll lose another 5-8 lbs. So we'll be somewhere around 20-22 lbs. lighter. The flywheel/clutch assembly is 4 lbs. lighter on the new set up (courtesy aluminum flywheel) - which takes us to 24-26 lbs. lighter. But the steel bell housing is about 7 lbs. heavier than the cast AL unit from Ford. I'm assuming the accessories/brackets are close to a wash, edge to the new set up being a pound or two lighter (new A/C compressor lighter, 160A alternator a bit heavier, P/S pump the same -- aluminum brackets on Chevy a bit lighter than the aluminum/steel units on the Ford).

So - all in, call it 20 lbs. lighter. 100 more HP. 85 more lb-ft. Equal or better fuel mileage. Daddy's happy.

Back