• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1988 765 Steering Wierdness

lummert

For the past couple of years I've put up with what I thought was a power steering rack issue. When encountering a curve at highway speed the steering acted like it didn't want to cooperate when turning the steering wheel for a curve, as if something was sticking. The steering resisted taking the curve until I overcame the resistance.

Today I replaced the front tires and the problem went away. I wouldn't have suspected the tires of causing this issue. Note to self: never use Chinese made tires.

Well, the first time Mrs. Lummert rode in the passenger seat after changing the front tires I noticed quite a bit of steering resistance when taking a left curve (but just momentarily), but not to the right. Mrs. Lummert outweighs me by nearly 100 pounds, also she sits in the seat in a way that puts her knees nearly into the glove box lid, even though the seat is back as far as it can go. It seems to me that her way of sitting would put a lot of weight in the passenger side foot well area.

What should I look for as far as steering problems that could cause the extra weight in the right side of the car to effect the turns to the left?

I was just wondering if the crank pulley slipping combined with the extra weight on the right side would cause steering tightness when taking a left curve at highway speeds (doesn't happen when taking a right curve)? The steering tightness doesn't happen when I'm in the car alone. I'm pretty sure the the outer ring of the crank pulley is slipping (similar to a slipping P/S belt).

Two years ago I installed good used Volvo strut bearings. I have another set of good used ones put away. As soon as it's warm enough I'll put the front on stands and check the strut bearings for noise or tightness.

In my experience, pulsing one directional resistance in the steering is always solved by replacing the steering rack/box.

This is the type of answer I was looking for. Thanks for your reply. But no pulsing, just directional resistance when the mrs is in the passenger seat and I'm driving.

700s and 900s are notorious sidewall breakers, the cost of this tight turn radius.

Fragile cheapo tires are a big no-no on these.

700s and 900s are notorious sidewall breakers, the cost of this tight turn radius.

Fragile cheapo tires are a big no-no on these.

The only time that I use max turning radius is when making a slow U-Turn. I'm running 215/60R-15 tires, don't think I'm going to break those sidewalls.

The resistance to left turns are on sweeping curves that aren't all that sharp a turn.

Back