• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 1984 Volvo 244dl stalled and won?t start

Zagoo6

Hello! New to the forums. I am the proud owner of a 1984 volvo 244dl b230f that has been running since the day I bought it 4 years ago. Just last week it stalled out on me 3 times on the way home, the last time making it into my driveway, and now a week later I still cant get her started. So far I?ve replaced:
- ignition coil
- in-line fuel pump and filter
- distributor and Hall effect sensor
- spark plugs and wires in the past 6 months

At first I wasn?t getting spark at the coil so I replaced the coil, then I traced it down to the Hall effect sensor, replaced the whole distributor with a new one and new sensor (made sure it was installed correctly and in time), and got spark after that. Then the fuel pump wasn?t running when cranking so I replaced the fuel pump relay (small metal one under passenger side carpet), and inline fuel pump and filter (old ones were original). I?m still getting no start. I have spark at the coil and the plugs, fuel pump is brand new and works, and fuel pump relay is brand new. I?m stumped going forward, looking for any insight on my problems. Thanks!

Stalled 244

Have you tried jumping fuses 5 and 7 to power both fuel pumps.

You can also unplug the AMM, if the car starts but runs rough that?s likely the culprit.

Does the car have the old wiring harness?

My trusty 83 245 did something similar long ago and I could not find any fault with any ignition component. I cut my losses and converted to LH 2.2 and got rid of the mopar ignition replacing it with Bosch ezk from a 740. Though I doubt you?ll need to go to such an extreme.

Back