• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wet 745 carpet

Indy452

We have had almost 7" of rain the past three days here.. My 1990 745 parks in my driveway at about a 15-18% incline, nose up. The rear footwell on the left side literally has water standing. The rest of the footwells are just wet. Car has sunroof but I really don't think thats the culprit. Anyplace I need to look to stop this? Thx..

My guess is the plastic block-off plate in the driver’s side footwell. It’s hidden behind the left side kick panel and is a black plastic ~5” square with rounded corners. The seals go bad over time and allow water running down the inner fender/lower A pillar area to enter the cabin. Dry the area thoroughly and seal around the plate with a silicone adhesive sealant to solve the problem.

Probably leak as the others have said. Just to be safe check your coolant level before you drive.

My guess is the plastic block-off plate in the driver?s side footwell. It?s hidden behind the left side kick panel and is a black plastic ~5? square with rounded corners. The seals go bad over time and allow water running down the inner fender/lower A pillar area to enter the cabin. Dry the area thoroughly and seal around the plate with a silicone adhesive sealant to solve the problem.

:nod:

Sunroof?

That much water is a pretty classic indication that your sunroof drain(s) are clogged.

Ask me how I know...

Check the corners of the firewall under the hood. I've seen rust holes and leakage to the floor happen from there.

So did you find the leak?

I'm having the same problem in my 88 744t :grrr: Driver side front is soppy/wet, passenger side front is moist. And it hasn't rained in over a week. I'll check the mentioned spots.

My guess is the plastic block-off plate in the driver?s side footwell. It?s hidden behind the left side kick panel and is a black plastic ~5? square with rounded corners. The seals go bad over time and allow water running down the inner fender/lower A pillar area to enter the cabin. Dry the area thoroughly and seal around the plate with a silicone adhesive sealant to solve the problem.

This is your leak. I just fixed mine. Euro cars had a openable vent here for non AC vehicles.

The other thing all 740s need is to reseal the water shield over the blower motor. Remove the windshield cowl (easy) and then use butyl tape to re-seure the black plastic shield which, by now, has fallen off. If not secured, water will get in the blower and the cabin.

Originally Posted by lverhagen

Good Advice

So did you find the leak?

I'm having the same problem in my 88 744t :grrr: Driver side front is soppy/wet, passenger side front is moist. And it hasn't rained in over a week. I'll check the mentioned spots.

This is your leak. I just fixed mine. Euro cars had a openable vent here for non AC vehicles.

Originally Posted by lverhagen

My guess is the plastic block-off plate in the driver’s side footwell. It’s hidden behind the left side kick panel and is a black plastic ~5” square with rounded corners. The seals go bad over time and allow water running down the inner fender/lower A pillar area to enter the cabin. Dry the area thoroughly and seal around the plate with a silicone adhesive sealant to solve the problem.

Good Advice

So just glop on some sealant around the bottom edge of the plug? I already tried prying it out a bit on the vertical edges and managed to chip that twice. So just add goop then? Around the entirety of it or just the bottom half?

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 131
The sealant has a much better chance of sealing if the surfaces are clean. Clean the seam area with an old toothbrush, then a damp rag. After it dries, caulk around the seam, then force it in the gap with your finger, like caulking around the bathtub. In fact, I think I used bathtub caulk, which is still holding up after several years, but Redwood Chair probably has better product suggestions.

The other thing all 740s need is to reseal the water shield over the blower motor. Remove the windshield cowl (easy) and then use butyl tape to re-seure the black plastic shield which, by now, has fallen off. If not secured, water will get in the blower and the cabin.

Well it rained like mad yesterday and I'm happy to say my driver's side floorpan is now drier than the passenger side! I'm guessing there's no vent on the passenger side since the ECU is there and that maybe this shield is now my remaining problem?

Progress! Good.

You can just look thru the cowl and see if the black shield is attached or not. Even if it looks attached, it's a good idea to remove the cowl and clean all the leaves out of there. Clean the blower out, clean the fenders out too because leaves/debris can build up on each side and cause water to back up. Re-secure the shield.

I bought a 740 that was sitting under an oak tree for years. It was packed with leaves down there. Stinky odor from the blower too. I cleaned out the blower and applied antimicrobial spray designed to disinfect evaporator cores. Things are much better now!

We use a hose on a tower at work to find water leaks.

There is a vent on both sides.
On my 94, I had deep standing water on the pass side. I went through everything as mentioned above; It was the windshield seal.

And the sunroof drains! I forgot to mention those too! You may get lucky with some LOW pressure compressed air. I throttle it lightly, but regulated down is a better idea, otherwise the hoses can pop off.

Back