• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 How much mainshaft scoring is too much? M46 w/J-type.

Broke4speed

So I pulled the O/D unit off the iron-cased M46 I just got, and while some of it was good news (already has the updated pistons/seals)...some of it was bad? The mainshaft of the M46, where it goes into the O/D, is BADLY scored. Without taking the unit apart, I can see the scoring lines up with what appears to be a brass bushing, so obviously there is a possibility of metal/metal contact, but how much is too much? Everything else seems great, and the scoring is only in that one area. The pump lobe is fine, and everything is probably ok.

Any advice? Slap it back together and run it...or move on?

Sorry for the HUGE pics, but it helps show the damage.

ssioLq6k_o.jpg

I have seen a lot worse on cars that worked fine in all the years that I have been rebuilding them. Polish the shaft and get a new bushing.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I was hoping it would still be ok to use, since the rest of the OD unit seems to be in already-refurbished condition, and the solenoid clicks nicely. I think it ate something at some point because the filter magnet had some large chunks on it, which is probably why the rebuild was done. The bushing looks great, so I think the damage is 'old'.

I'll be getting some emery paper and giving it a shine :).

Back