• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

History of the 240T FIA Evolution Cars

I can help out with a few of my favorite pics Mark has shared with me.

Thanks very much for your help Tuff240, can you email, or message me and let me know what I have to do to be able to post photo's on this site. I have Dropbox but can't figure out how to post the actual photo rather than just a link to it.

Merry Christmas to you.

Cheers,

MP.

Last edited:
Couple more pics of the AVDT 8601 car - I took these at VROM 2015 in Goteborg.

picture.php

picture.php

Which started life as a 242GT in Australia (market code 46).
picture.php

picture.php

Found some pictures of Finnish GrA dealer team. They had three car team, and Leif Wiik was racing with Australian imported 242. One of those three cars hit guard rail at Ahvenisto race track and I heard it was final blow. It was converted to rallycross so many special parts was long gone.

https://samzon.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Volvo+240+Turbo+Group-A/

Hi Otto,

Great pictures and information, thanks very much.

The RHD car Leif is driving "Union" 240, is the RHD car built in Australia, by the AVDT, Australian Volvo Dealer Team, in July/August of 1986, and known as Car#44, which now belongs to me.

This was the last factory "Work"s car ever built, as Volvo pulled the plug on its official involvement in GpA, after loosing the 1986 ETC because of cheating allegations, following the disqualification of the RAS team's two car with Fuel irregularities. The two RAS team cars, were subsequently crushed, after being stripped of all the good bits, so that no evidence was left of any Chassis irregularity was left.

As these two RAS Team car were ex Eggenberger car's, one of which was the 1985 Championship winning car, this was an unmitigated disaster! Today that Championship winning car driven by Gianfranco Brancatelli and Thomas Lindstrom would be worth at least US$500,000 in Europe. Of the 3 Team Eggenberger cars, only the T-Car survived, which I have recently restored [almost] and is now in New Zealand.

Only one of the 3 AVDT was LHD, which was my original 1984 Factory car, ex GTM-Belgium.

There only appears to be one RHD car in this collect of photo's [Car#44] so we know it can't be that car that crashed and was converted to Rally-Cross because it was sold as a GpA car to a Danish Team in 1989. My LHD, car, ex AVDT, ended up in a collectors hands in Switzerland before being purchased by the late Peter Kroeber, who totally rebuilt the car like new, and still belong to his Family in Germany.

So the crashed car can not have been one of the three AVDT cars, so it would be interesting to know the heritage of the LHD that crashed?

Its a shame that I still have not figured out how to post pictures yet, but when I get it figured it out I will do so. Car#44 by the way is in the picture's already posted on this thread, by Tuff.

Cheers,

Mark.

I know a guy who had GrA suspension components in his 242. Might have something to do with that rallycross chassis. Can ask him for details.

Do you know what kind of cylinder head Volvo had in their cars? I know they used 531 heads, but valve cover seems to be older style with high filler tube. Why I'm asking? I got very nicely ported 531 head with std size valves, cast date early 80's. K-Jet injector holes.I have been thinking that might be from GrA

Hi Otto,

Great pictures and information, thanks very much.

The RHD car Leif is driving "Union" 240, is the RHD car built in Australia, by the AVDT, Australian Volvo Dealer Team, in July/August of 1986, and known as Car#44, which now belongs to me.

This was the last factory "Work"s car ever built, as Volvo pulled the plug on its official involvement in GpA, after loosing the 1986 ETC because of cheating allegations, following the disqualification of the RAS team's two car with Fuel irregularities. The two RAS team cars, were subsequently crushed, after being stripped of all the good bits, so that no evidence was left of any Chassis irregularity was left.

As these two RAS Team car were ex Eggenberger car's, one of which was the 1985 Championship winning car, this was an unmitigated disaster! Today that Championship winning car driven by Gianfranco Brancatelli and Thomas Lindstrom would be worth at least US$500,000 in Europe. Of the 3 Team Eggenberger cars, only the T-Car survived, which I have recently restored [almost] and is now in New Zealand.

Only one of the 3 AVDT was LHD, which was my original 1984 Factory car, ex GTM-Belgium.

There only appears to be one RHD car in this collect of photo's [Car#44] so we know it can't be that car that crashed and was converted to Rally-Cross because it was sold as a GpA car to a Danish Team in 1989. My LHD, car, ex AVDT, ended up in a collectors hands in Switzerland before being purchased by the late Peter Kroeber, who totally rebuilt the car like new, and still belong to his Family in Germany.

So the crashed car can not have been one of the three AVDT cars, so it would be interesting to know the heritage of the LHD that crashed?

Its a shame that I still have not figured out how to post pictures yet, but when I get it figured it out I will do so. Car#44 by the way is in the picture's already posted on this thread, by Tuff.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark, I'm a dinosaur..Engine gerabox diff and suspension guy, not a clicky-cliack nerd boy..I was taught how to post piccies by a very kind and patient Canajian guy I was building a gravel Sierra for..Do this..
Do you have your piccies scanned? So they're somewhere stored on your confuser..OK

Are they "hosted" on some photo hosting service???

IF they're "hosted" (sitting) on some serive, you go there and click on the piccie, like here's my Canajuan friends 'build journal" with the local (my) made versions of Ford's Group N rally struts...
When that pccie is open look up in the "address bar" and you'll see an address looking like
http://www.rallyrace.net/view/?2004-09-26/jvab_struts.jpg

To put the piccie here you "left click and hold it down and swipe over the address and either type Ctrl and C or right-click and in the drop down menu choose "Copy".

Then where you want to post the photo you can either look just above this screen at the 3rd symbol from the right..and click it
A box pups up and you hit "Ctrl" (lowest left on the keyboard) and V
Then hit OK and POOF!

jvab_struts.jpg

Opps maybe I should have said when the photo is displayed at the Host site you "right click" and hit "copy image address" and put that in the box OR you can type

Last edited:
Mark, I'm a dinosaur..Engine gerabox diff and suspension guy, not a clicky-cliack nerd boy..I was taught how to post piccies by a very kind and patient Canajian guy I was building a gravel Sierra for..Do this..
Do you have your piccies scanned? So they're somewhere stored on your confuser..OK

IF they're "hosted" (sitting) on some serive, you go there and click on the piccie, like here's my Canajuan friends 'build journal" with the local (my) made versions of Ford's Group N rally struts...
When that pccie is open look up in the "address bar" and you'll see an address looking like

To put the piccie here you "left click and hold it down and swipe over the address and either type Ctrl and C or right-click and in the drop down menu choose "Copy".

Then where you want to post the photo you can either look just above this screen at the 3rd symbol from the right..and click it
Then hit OK and POOF!

jvab_struts.jpg

Opps maybe I should have said when the photo is displayed at the Host site you "right click" and hit "copy image address" and put that in the box OR you can type

Thanks John V, I will get my grandson to try agin tomorrow morning NZ time.

Cheers,

Mark.

Then hit OK and POOF!

jvab_struts.jpg

I know a guy who had GrA suspension components in his 242. Might have something to do with that rallycross chassis. Can ask him for details.

Do you know what kind of cylinder head Volvo had in their cars? I know they used 531 heads, but valve cover seems to be older style with high filler tube. Why I'm asking? I got very nicely ported 531 head with std size valves, cast date early 80's. K-Jet injector holes.I have been thinking that might be from GrA

Hi Otto,

The only valuable and very rare VMS suspension component today, is the 3 piece rear axle, with the half tube's bolt flange's machined on a taper to give 1.5? negative camber at the wheel. The centre section "pumpkin" was cast in Aluminium.

These very rare 1031 GpA are worth their weight in Gold! Well not really, but worth say US$10K. The rest of the suspension bits are easily obtainable today at very reasonable prices.

All of the Factory VMS GpA engines had the old style rocker cover with the tubular looking breather connection running sideway's across the front half of the rocker cover, and were all uncoated when they left VMS.

Cheers,

Mark.

Last edited:
question for the man who knows:

I have heard a legend that some of those Gp. A cars had the body shell modified; the front clip was cut and re-welded to change caster but remain within the rules, this left a wedge shaped reveal between the front fender and the door. True or fiction?

Thanks, Al.

Also, I almost bought the red car from the original owner about 15 years ago! Glad to see it went somewhere good.

Thank you very much for sharing with us Mark, It is a glorious treat. Now a couple questions if you are up for it:

Hi Otto,

This was the last factory "Work"s car ever built, as Volvo pulled the plug on its official involvement in GpA, after loosing the 1986 ETC because of cheating allegations, following the disqualification of the RAS team's two car with Fuel irregularities.
"Fuel irregularities".......As I have been able to research they were using fuel that was up to 70% toluene :omg: to control detonation at the boost levels they were running, yet still managed to sorta pass on track testing...... Any truth to this?

Also, If I am correct, the suspension pickup points needed to be as-homologated in the race car. The strut bar and the braces back to the firewall have adjusters on them in the Australian team car you have, How much extra camber and caster were they getting by screwing these adjusters down after tech inspection??....

Hi John! PV is under a dusty cover, waiting patiently for me to renew my competition licence. I've been too busy adventuring on old motorcycles. Volvos haven't had a look in. That'll change now that I'm staying put for a while.

Hi John! PV is under a dusty cover, waiting patiently for me to renew my competition licence. I've been too busy adventuring on old motorcycles. Volvos haven't had a look in. That'll change now that I'm staying put for a while.

fawkme sideways I've been looking at old bikes too!...Must be daft..:-P
Saw a 1980 250 KTM...Hmmmmmmmm

Hi Igor, welcome back.
JV, I do most of my riding on the 1980 XT250 I got from SteveMD. Probably not as competent as the KTM, but it jumps logs well, and is street-legal. I bought an ST1100 this year, need to do head gaskets on it.

Back