• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW71 Slipping accompanied w/ Whirring noise

89TurboBertone

As the description states, I have experienced a slip in my transmission under heavy acceleration. It made a high pitched whirring sound as it did this. I checked my fluid level and it was right at the hot full mark and the fluid is cherry red. It seems like this is a mechanical issue and not a hydraulic or electric issue and my trans is toast. Is it worth rebuilding or should I throw a M90 ot t5 in it?

Do you have the money to put a M90/Getrag/T5 in?

Do you like driving a stick or auto?

I have priced out a jy m90 and it is cheaper than rebuilding the aw71 if it is what i think its (stripped planetary gears). I really dont have any preference between stick or auto. Stick is funner to drive and you have more control, but I really like that tall gear set in the AW71 and autos are nice too.

I am mostly looking for longevity, but I also need a transmission that can handle 200-220 hp because my B230FT isn't quite stock.

lol I dunno that i'd count on that unless it's a forum member. more likely to be an m46. if it made a whirring noise and started slipping you just stripped the material of some clutches and clogged the pickup. it would be HIGHLY unlikely that you stripped out any of the gears before blowing away the clutches.

did you have the accumulator mod? was the kick down cable tensioned properly?

further.. I wouldn't rebuild the 71, I'd just go fish one out of as late a model turbo car as I could find. I personally have had pretty good luck with the 93+ aw71's.

lol I dunno that i'd count on that unless it's a forum member. more likely to be an m46. if it made a whirring noise and started slipping you just stripped the material of some clutches and clogged the pickup. it would be HIGHLY unlikely that you stripped out any of the gears before blowing away the clutches.

did you have the accumulator mod? was the kick down cable tensioned properly?

further.. I wouldn't rebuild the 71, I'd just go fish one out of as late a model turbo car as I could find. I personally have had pretty good luck with the 93+ aw71's.

I have the kick down adjusted to the spec on aldata like just under 2 inches or something. I have not done the accumulator mod, I was planning on doing it when I did a valve body service (my first check ball is gotten to small and causes jerky shifts from 1 to 2).

I have heard that the gears on Aisin transmissions are about the last thing to go on these, but my 91 jetta made the exact same noise when its trany blew up and it was planetary gears. But now that i think of it, my jetta was not driveable after that happened, and my aw71 will still deliver power if i keep it outa boost. If it is just the clutches than I could do a valve body service, clutches and brakes and call it a day for $400 probly. I guess I just need to pull the pan and see if there is a substantial amount of metal in there.

Also are the 93+ AW71s a whole lot stronger? I know they have a lock out converter but what else is improved? Also since the 900's have 331's and the 700's have 373's are the 93+ gear ratios different?

:lol: No they seriously did. The "W" (BorgWarner) of AW went away and quality went down.

I think you must be mixing them up. Aisin is the manufacturer of the most reliable transmissions in the world used in toyotas and volvos. Borg is the domestic partner that makes the case and the torque converter. If Borg was no longer partnered with Aisin during the AW71's transmission I believe it would be stronger.

but my 91 jetta made the exact same noise when its trany blew up and it was planetary gears. But now that i think of it, my jetta was not driveable after that happened,

Friend your Jetta's Automagic was a piece of garbage from the word 'GO!'

Aside from the two automatics operating on similar principles..... Nothing in common.

The Volvo box is fixable if you are up for it..... You will spend less getting a good used box and giving it fresh Mercedes Synthetic ATF.

If you wish for a manual..... many to choose from. The AW automagic is pretty good and has lots of ability to handle foolishness when enhanced.

Spend a couple hundred bucks and get another AW71 or AW71L from the JY. Yea, it's gonna suck nuts to get dirty under the car and pull the f*cker out, but yer gonna be miserable anyways doing an m90.
An AW71/L will be just fine at your HP levels with the accumulator mod.
Some of the guys here run up to like 300hp with stock AW's with the accum mod.

its probably not visible damage to the planetary gears, but rebuilding it may not fix the problem.

I agree with 'get another AW don't bother rebuilding'

I have the kick down adjusted to the spec on aldata like just under 2 inches or something. I have not done the accumulator mod, I was planning on doing it when I did a valve body service (my first check ball is gotten to small and causes jerky shifts from 1 to 2).

I have heard that the gears on Aisin transmissions are about the last thing to go on these, but my 91 jetta made the exact same noise when its trany blew up and it was planetary gears. But now that i think of it, my jetta was not driveable after that happened, and my aw71 will still deliver power if i keep it outa boost. If it is just the clutches than I could do a valve body service, clutches and brakes and call it a day for $400 probly. I guess I just need to pull the pan and see if there is a substantial amount of metal in there.

Also are the 93+ AW71s a whole lot stronger? I know they have a lock out converter but what else is improved? Also since the 900's have 331's and the 700's have 373's are the 93+ gear ratios different?

eh? 940 turbos are almost identical to 740 turbos from a hardware perspective.. they should all have 3.73's, maayyybe a 3.54 thrown in the mix, but I'd hedge bets on 3.73. NA 7/9's typically got 3.9's or 4.10's. The gearing inside the transmission did not change.

There are a number of running changes on the 93+ going up to 95... from 94-95 the transmissions got lockup converters, I have heard but cannot verify that they got a needle bearing on the tailshaft instead of a bushing (not that that really matters), there's a seal cover back there to keep FOD out of the tailshaft seal, they're newer, etc.

No. They got worse.

that is incorrect.

:lol: No they seriously did. The "W" (BorgWarner) of AW went away and quality went down.

that is also incorrect.

Either way. The 93+ is worse.

no. stop hording parts and spreading lies.

get a good external trans cooler, do the accumulator mod, set the kickdown a little tighter than the aldata spec (this greatly influences line pressure), but not 'tight' to the touch. it should have a slight visible sag or looseness with the throttle closed.

eh? 940 turbos are almost identical to 740 turbos from a hardware perspective.. they should all have 3.73's, maayyybe a 3.54 thrown in the mix, but I'd hedge bets on 3.73. NA 7/9's typically got 3.9's or 4.10's. The gearing inside the transmission did not change.

There are a number of running changes on the 93+ going up to 95... from 94-95 the transmissions got lockup converters, I have heard but cannot verify that they got a needle bearing on the tailshaft instead of a bushing (not that that really matters), there's a seal cover back there to keep FOD out of the tailshaft seal, they're newer, etc.

that is incorrect.

that is also incorrect.

no. stop hording parts and spreading lies.

get a good external trans cooler, do the accumulator mod, set the kickdown a little tighter than the aldata spec (this greatly influences line pressure), but not 'tight' to the touch. it should have a slight visible sag or looseness with the throttle closed.

Well the M90 in idaho turned out to be an m54, the M90's wrong-wheel drive sister. He kept telling me they were the same, but he didnt understand that i need a rear wheel drive tranny. This dumb hillbilly even told me that volvos have always had front wheel drive.

So it looks like im down to rebuild or jy. I can get a AW71L out of a '95 940 with 120k shipped for $480 or the rebuild kit for $200.

Back