home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 11:22 AM   #51
toms_elleck
Board Member
 
toms_elleck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

That green car is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish240 View Post
I painted my '90 4 door rocker panel white, then black and now it's white again white makes it look lower IMO
From your thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish240 View Post


I think I'll give the white a try. If I don't like it, then just like you I can paint over it with trim black, or undercoat it to prevent chipping.
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #52
Tuff240
240 Ninja
 
Tuff240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central California
Default

Painted only looks good if the rocker trim is gone like an earlier car. Then the body seam always looks like crap.

And +1 to the tree sap/bird poop. Toxic stuff if just left there for years.
__________________

-Patrick
Tuff240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:46 AM   #53
Finnish240
Board Member
 
Finnish240's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Finland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post

I think I'll give the white a try. If I don't like it, then just like you I can paint over it with trim black, or undercoat it to prevent chipping.
Mine is on/off daily driver, so I can't do big things right now. Later I 'm going to remove all trimming, weld all holes and do a good rust preventation for it. I've got side skirts from Bross body kit, maybe I paint it white and put it on car, maybe not.

Looking good keep it up that way!
__________________
Volvo 240 GL - not so low, but yes.... it is slow
Finnish240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #54
toms_elleck
Board Member
 
toms_elleck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

A few small updates. Replaced both front wheel bearings last night, and MAN, the car is so much quieter above 25mph. Less road noise and buzzing in the steering wheel too. It's almost as if I put $200 worth of dynamat up under the dash.




I also installed an IPD skid plate, that came off a parts car I destroyed. That might have helped with a little of the road noise too. Check out those sweet old school IPD 25/25 sways!!







Also got a 12" sub wired up in the trunk, adjusted the camber a touch more positive because the spring perches were rubbing on the inside of the strut tower and dislodging the springs, discovered a bad inner tie rod end on the ZF rack, moved the deck to the upper dash position because I hate reaching behind the shifter to adjust the radio, and lubed the door and hood hinges. I will need to replace that tie rod end and have this pig aligned by a person with a better tape measure.

Big rush to get little crap fixed and ready, for a 3 hour road trip with my wife and 6 y/o daughter this weekend. My wife's car has an unexpected corded tire, presumably due to a jacked up alignment, so the 242 is pulling family car duty this weekend while I save up for a pair of 245/40/19s. She's been driving the 242 to work all this week, and she actually loves it. But I reeeally don't want this weekend's road trip to be an unpleasant experience! I might even buy some air fresheners, and stop at Starbucks for a $75 breakfast on the way out of town. Any other suggestions, aside from renting a real car?
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #55
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post
Big rush to get little crap fixed and ready, for a 3 hour road trip with my wife and 6 y/o daughter this weekend. My wife's car has an unexpected corded tire, presumably due to a jacked up alignment, so the 242 is pulling family car duty this weekend while I save up for a pair of 245/40/19s. She's been driving the 242 to work all this week, and she actually loves it. But I reeeally don't want this weekend's road trip to be an unpleasant experience! I might even buy some air fresheners, and stop at Starbucks for a $75 breakfast on the way out of town. Any other suggestions, aside from renting a real car?
Tell her to leave your ass behind, Im sure it crossed her mind after you not fixing her car sooner
__________________
85 245 | 82 242| 75 245| 69 145 |66 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms_elleck View Post
I regretfully agree with Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 122power View Post
make k-jet great again.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #56
propav8r
F*ck Edgar
 
propav8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Franklin, NC
Default

I love that side trim. Might have to do that on my car.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotankshane View Post
If its a solid stage 0, +t it. If it aint, +t it anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
turn the ignition timing up til it's faster than eamon's miata, then replace the shortblock #wootenthings

My Project (It's a 1979 244DL...sort of.)
K-Jet to Megasquirt Article

The Departed: 1981 245, 1983 245 Turbo, 1983 244 Turbo, 1983 242 Turbo, 1984 244, 1985 245 Turbo,
1989 244, 1989 765, 1990 245 Turbo, 1991 244, 1992 245, 1997 855
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #57
toms_elleck
Board Member
 
toms_elleck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Tell her to leave your ass behind, Im sure it crossed her mind after you not fixing her car sooner
That's unkind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r View Post
I love that side trim. Might have to do that on my car.
I can't wait to finish getting the glue off, brushing the rest of it, and then painting the caps. I'm finding that a little bit of brake cleaner on a red scotch brite pad melts the glue pretty quickly, and then a second pass with a wet red pad gives a good brushed finish.
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #58
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post
Got only a tiny bit done this weekend, chipping away at it little by little.

The side trim was in OK condition, but it had a few blemishes. One of the worst blemishes was on the black part of the rear quarter trim, and that stick is somewhat hard to find since it's 242 only. So in an effort to make the best of it, I pulled the black rubber off the trim, and gave the remaining stainless trim a nice subtle brushed finish. I prefer the early stainless-only trim, and had no idea that all I had to do was remove the rubber to get a very similar look! Also trimmed down the plastic caps on the ends, to match the new profile of the trim.




I love the clean look of it against the white paint. I'll tweek out on the trim's end caps at a later date, maybe with a bit of satin nickel paint to better match the stainless.



I don't get it, that rub rail is the best part of the Dl trim, now it's as vulnerable as 140 trim to denting, and still doesn't look as good.

Personally I would have just sourced another 1/4 stick.

__________________
Raise The Lowered


Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi a stock can support?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #59
toms_elleck
Board Member
 
toms_elleck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post


I don't get it, that rub rail is the best part of the Dl trim, now it's as vulnerable as 140 trim to denting, and still doesn't look as good.

Personally I would have just sourced another 1/4 stick.

I just think it looks a lot better, but I am sure it's not for everyone.

BTW it will be easier to source a 1/4 panel trim with torched rubber to match this one if I get too many dings, than it would be to find a clean 1/4 trim. Especially if you are the type of person who can't bring yourself to spend over $100 for a piece of trim!
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #60
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post
I just think it looks a lot better, but I am sure it's not for everyone.
So typical TB form over function?

Or tweak for tweek's sake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post
BTW it will be easier to source a 1/4 panel trim with torched rubber to match this one if I get too many dings, than it would be to find a clean 1/4 trim. Especially if you are the type of person who can't bring yourself to spend over $100 for a piece of trim!


I have a good one here for a lot less than that.

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #61
toms_elleck
Board Member
 
toms_elleck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
So typical TB form over function?

Or tweak for tweek's sake?





I have a good one here for a lot less than that.


Yes, the stripped trim is purely form over function.

Frankly, I wasn't planning on getting a whole lot of usage out of the rubber door strips. I'm not all that worried about a hypothetical ding that may or may not happen someday in a parking lot now that I removed the tiny additional rubber bumpers from my trim. I certainly won't lose sleep over my side trim being marginally less functional than it used to be.

Bottom line is just that I think it looks better. On a white car, the pure stainless trim doesn't stand out as much as the black rubber, and doesn't create such a brutal visual division at the body line. This trim is more subtle, and I dig that. It was a very pleasant surprise when I peeled back the rubber from the one section that was the worst damaged, and realized it didn't slide into a slot or something. That being said, I don't know if it would look better or worse on a dark colored car. But it looks great on white!

I winced a bit at butchering some usable 242-only trim pieces, but every one of the pieces had some sort of damage on it. So it's not like I ran through an automotive museum destroying priceless car parts.

In case you hadn't noticed, this car has flathood/singleround/cut springs/subwoofer/BBS/etc. Yes, Ken, this is a typical textbook ruined turbobricks car. I'm enjoying the piss out of it, and this is exactly what I bought it to do.

Last edited by toms_elleck; 05-06-2016 at 07:50 PM..
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:43 PM   #62
Tuff240
240 Ninja
 
Tuff240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
I don't get it, that rub rail is the best part of the Dl trim, now it's as vulnerable as 140 trim to denting, and still doesn't look as good.
It's stainless steel. Pop it off, knock out the dent and refinish it.

83's are my favorite so I really like the original unmodified trim. That being said, the modified ones don't look at all bad.
Tuff240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #63
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post
Yes, the stripped trim is purely form over function.

Frankly, I wasn't planning on getting a whole lot of usage out of the rubber door strips. I'm not all that worried about a hypothetical ding that may or may not happen someday in a parking lot now that I removed the tiny additional rubber bumpers from my trim. I certainly won't lose sleep over my side trim being marginally less functional than it used to be.

Bottom line is just that I think it looks better. On a white car, the pure stainless trim doesn't stand out as much as the black rubber, and doesn't create such a brutal visual division at the body line. This trim is more subtle, and I dig that. It was a very pleasant surprise when I peeled back the rubber from the one section that was the worst damaged, and realized it didn't slide into a slot or something. That being said, I don't know if it would look better or worse on a dark colored car. But it looks great on white!

I winced a bit at butchering some usable 242-only trim pieces, but every one of the pieces had some sort of damage on it. So it's not like I ran through an automotive museum destroying priceless car parts.

In case you hadn't noticed, this car has flathood/singleround/cut springs/subwoofer/BBS/etc. Yes, Ken, this is a typical textbook ruined turbobricks car. I'm enjoying the piss out of it, and this is exactly what I bought it to do.
It's your car, and your prerogative, I'm just stating my opinions on the trim.

Looking good, onward...
Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #64
toms_elleck
Board Member
 
toms_elleck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
It's your car, and your prerogative, I'm just stating my opinions on the trim.

Looking good, onward...

toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #65
toms_elleck
Board Member
 
toms_elleck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

Road trip was a huge success. A++ Will Volvo road trip again.



I got the back seat all set up so my daughter could comfortably nap the whole time, giving my wife and I the opportunity to listen to music with bad words in it, and talk about whatever we wanted. LOL






Love how water beads up on freshly waxed OG Volvo paint.






And a couple of standard operating procedure gas station shots.


The only things I got done this weekend was the installation of a driver's side mudflap, topping off the oil, and installing a fog light switch in anticipation of the fog lights that I'm hoping to pick up soon. I want to put some cheap H3 HID kits into some original style fog lights. That way I won't be obnoxiously running cheapass HID lights every time my headlights are on, but I will be able to light up these incredibly dark forest roads at night as needed.
Problem is, I don't really want to mount them super low where they'll get broken easily, but I think GT grills are way too ugly. I'll figure something else out.
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #66
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

god damn it ThOmas I have like 3-4 different styles of old school fogs...


ummm - I hate to be the bad news bearer but thats Olaf and not a person,.....

are you even married ?
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #67
toms_elleck
Board Member
 
toms_elleck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
god damn it ThOmas I have like 3-4 different styles of old school fogs...


ummm - I hate to be the bad news bearer but thats Olaf and not a person,.....

are you even married ?

Why do you keep holding out on me? You should have guessed that I wanted fog lights. BTW, you should sell me that $20 Recaro so that I can reupholster it in diagonal Volvo tan cloth. I'll offer $15 for it.

And WTF man? Olaf? There's no need to insult my chilrens like that.
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #68
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post
Why do you keep holding out on me? You should have guessed that I wanted fog lights. BTW, you should sell me that $20 Recaro so that I can reupholster it in diagonal Volvo tan cloth. I'll offer $15 for it.

And WTF man? Olaf? There's no need to insult my chilrens like that.
I'll upholster it in that fabric and use it as my chair before I sell you that seat... I have and obligation to keep these parts away from Disney characters
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #69
toms_elleck
Board Member
 
toms_elleck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

Yesterday evening I had a rare opportunity to follow my own car home. And it also gave me the chance to get photographic evidence that my wife likes driving it!







Unfortunately, it also got me wanting to buy some 20mm rear spacers and further abuse the rear wheel wells.
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:13 PM   #70
LC4CARL
Aero challenged
 
LC4CARL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Nice!
__________________
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #71
Coupid
Board Member
 
Coupid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Default

That looks great going down the road. No need for spacers in my opinion.
__________________
1972 142S Project Thread: http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=311926

1991 780 Sold
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #72
MoCounselor
Board Member
 
MoCounselor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Midwest, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post

Unfortunately, it also got me wanting to buy some 20mm rear spacers and further abuse the rear wheel wells.

DO IT!!!
MoCounselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #73
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post
Unfortunately, it also got me wanting to buy some 20mm rear spacers and further abuse the rear wheel wells.


Check out how that worked out for me.

I release my dibs btw.
__________________


Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #74
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Thumbs up

**** the spacers, it looks good that way and handles better with a narrower rear than front


Edit: how much did you pay those actors to pretend they are your family?
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #75
toms_elleck
Board Member
 
toms_elleck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Check out how that worked out for me.

I release my dibs btw.
Skimmed through your thread.. are you implying that it worked well? Or did you run into some issues?
I'm on the fence about the spacers only because I think it'd look great to force a 255 tire on the back wheels.

Your Bimmer wheels look great! Good job. Glad you're not sitting around waiting for these, because they're not going anywhere anytime soon. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
**** the spacers, it looks good that way and handles better with a narrower rear than front


Edit: how much did you pay those actors to pretend they are your family?
Narrow handles better? You mean by helping induce oversteer? This pig will never get to that point, and in fact, I'd prefer to generate understeer if anything. Turbo 911s had wider rear tracks to try and keep the damn things from spinning backwards and killing people. That's what I want, for my daily commute over the mountain. Slow, steady, and predictable. That and a $15 Recaro seat.

Oh, and you got me. Here's the original, untouched image:
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.