home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 05-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #76
SquareD
An Anomaly

Looks great, love the rolling shot. It's always awesome observing your own car on the road.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, SSQV BOV, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #77
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post
Skimmed through your thread.. are you implying that it worked well? Or did you run into some issues?
I'm on the fence about the spacers only because I think it'd look great to force a 255 tire on the back wheels.

Your Bimmer wheels look great! Good job. Glad you're not sitting around waiting for these, because they're not going anywhere anytime soon. LOL

Oh, zero offset worked very well for me on mine, along with moving the axle forward 3/4" wity these 215/45s that run wider than my 225/50 Pilot Sport A/S3s in the other car.

As for 255s...I'd be on the fence there. It looks like I could get away with about 20mm more tire. It really depends on the actual measured section and treadwidths, as they vary drastically between tire designs.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:08 AM   #78
toms_elleck
Board Member

Slow progress lately, but still plugging away. My only chance to work on it this weekend fell right in the middle of a little rain storm, which is rare for us especially at this time of year. But luckily, there's a spot at the back of the driveway with a pretty thick Redwood tree canopy, so I stayed pretty dry.

First, I took the temporary 940 overflow tank off, and put on the stock 240 tank that I got from Volvowagoon:

Before

After

Also got a bitchin OEM green gas cap from him, to replace my janky aftermarket one:

I got a nice used 5 panel tail light from TempleUWS6 to replace the one I had with a broken turn signal lens, and gave it a little restoration before installing it. Nothing crazy, just wire brushed all the contacts, scrubbed the inside and outside of all the lenses with dish soap and water with a toothbrush, glued the reverse lens back on with silicone, then polished and waxed the outsides of the lenses.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

I like how it makes the tail light looks smaller, because the white blends with the car body. I just hope I can get to the other one next weekend. For now, driving around all lobsided.

The one thing I did that was a little different ( I always have to do something different) was to paint the housing bright white behind the reverse lens. I did that just to make it look brighter and cleaner, and it worked. There wasn't any reflector to speak of, it was just a puke yellow color with no chrome on it, so I don't think I reduced the amount of light. Plus, the reverse lights don't work yet anyway.

For now, I have ordered a batch of parts from IPD. Been busy working on my wife's gym, so I haven't gotten that much of a chance to work on the 242. I only had like 4 hours this whole weekend. But I hope to make some better progress soon, once things settle down a bit with the gym.
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #79
MoCounselor
Board Member

Good idea on painting the reverse lens housing! It looks good Thomas, I may have to snag that idea to clean up mine!
MoCounselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:44 AM   #80
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

Looks great! This car is shaping up nicely.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #81
Tfrasca
Board Member

Good call on painting the reflector. Car is looking great.

Hey, where in SC are you? I'm pretty surprised I haven't seen your car around.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #82
toms_elleck
Board Member

Thanks guys! I'll keep posting my little micro-projects like these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post

Hey, where in SC are you? I'm pretty surprised I haven't seen your car around.
We actually live in Scotts Valley, but I drive it daily down to my wife's gym on Walnut St. in downtown Santa Cruz. Cruise it around the downtown and west side areas on weekends mostly.

I'm getting this car ready to possibly be my daily commuter over the hill, depending on what happens with work. Currently I drive to work in a company-issued car, so the Volvo sits in my driveway.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #83
Jack
junkman

Yeah you would paint it white ..
That's wasist
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:49 PM   #84
BryantTF242
Board Member

loving the progress!!! hope to see you and your car at the next meet

1982 242 Turbo - The Fun One, K-Jet, 3in Turbo Back, RSI Coilovers, BBS LM Reps, Awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=280461

1990 240 Wagon
BryantTF242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #85
quelinda

Ive seen you driving around downtown before, i have a beige 83 242 you might have seen around.. let me know if you still have the old lense tail lights lense? i got a bunch of spare switches and stuff too.. hit me up
quelinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #86
toms_elleck
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Ive seen you driving around downtown before, i have a beige 83 242 you might have seen around.. let me know if you still have the old lense tail lights lense? i got a bunch of spare switches and stuff too.. hit me up
PM sent
Old 05-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #87
toms_elleck
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryantTF242 View Post
loving the progress!!! hope to see you and your car at the next meet
For sure!

I want to try and get some people together for a BBQ and maybe a short drive through the mountains, here around Santa Cruz. I'll be sure and send you a link to the thread when I create it.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #88
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
#turbobricks
Old 05-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #89
Jack
junkman

I want my bottle back bitch!!!

and zipties
Old 05-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #90
toms_elleck
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post

#turbobricks
A keen observer will notice the yellow ziptie in the bottom corner, holding the headlight spring, due to an incomplete headlight bucket.
Pro tip: Don't do what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I want my bottle back bitch!!!

and zipties
I've got the zipties for you, but I cut the bottle off in order to save the zipties. Hope that's ok?
Old 05-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #91
Jack
junkman

Quote:
A keen observer will notice the yellow ziptie

I've got the zipties for you, but I cut the bottle off in order to save the zipties. Hope that's ok?
yes it was a 940 bottle anyways... actually I hope you smash it with a hammer
Old 05-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #92
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

Nevermind, I misread.
The Full Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #93
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Banana View Post
I have the proper bottle no longer in use if you need one. It pains me to see that.
watch entire video before posting
Old 05-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #94
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Banana View Post
I have the proper bottle no longer in use if you need one. It pains me to see that.
watch entire video before posting

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=78
Old 05-26-2016, 03:01 AM   #95
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Did you end up with my old 242?
PM'd you.

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:31 AM   #96
toms_elleck
Board Member

No progress on the car this weekend. Just drove it around a bit, and used it for our first family kayak trip.

It's fun to drive around with a boat on your roof!
Old 05-31-2016, 01:44 AM   #97
Jack
junkman

were you saying goodbye to Olof?
Old 05-31-2016, 09:06 AM   #98
petiww
Board Member

<- loves this.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #99
toms_elleck
Board Member

Been busy moving to a new house in Santa Cruz, so haven't made too much progress on the car. On the plus side, we live about a mile from the beach now, with a sweet bike trail that takes us straight there. On the downside, it's only a one car garage. Another plus, the lease doesn't forbid working on cars like the last place did! Another downside, there's not much room to stack very many broken cars on the property.

The only thing I've done to the car lately is add a pair of fog lights with some HID bulbs in them, to use when driving through the woods. I don't really like how they look, but I've hit a few deer with a few different cars, and don't want to do that again if I can avoid it. I prefer them hanging down rather than the GT grill, but I'm afraid that they will get broken. It might be cool to embed them into the airdam like a late 90s 5 series BMW, but we'll see. For now, it's just nice to light up the road.

In the process of moving, I discovered a pair of E-code front turn signal lenses in my parts stash! That's the Volvo equivalent of finding $5 in a pair of jeans you haven't worn in a while. Score!

Before:

After:

But they looked kind of dark and hideous, so I thought I'd try the same white paint that I used under my reverse lenses:

New After:

Much better! I love the look.

I also got some Ebay BBS center cap stickers. I imagined the red would look good against the white paint. But it didn't look that good after all:

The picture doesn't really do its hideousness justice. The gold looked totally out of place, and bummed me out. Plus, I want this car to look a little more OEM and less attractive to thieves, and bright red BBS logos didn't help that cause at all.

So I just now ordered a new set of stickers. I think the modern Volvo logo will look good on the more modern wheels, and help with the OEM non-flasy look I am after. Plus, I like the black, blue, and white look of the BMW centercaps, so hopefully these will bring that look back:

Photoshop looks aight:

Up next, I have a pile of parts that I need to install, such as HD motor mounts, drive shaft support, timing belt, thermostat, airdam deflector thing... I also got a can of Tan interior paint, to help match all the various parts of the interior that have faded from the sun in varying degrees. I'll try and get to some of that in the coming weeks, as we struggle to unpack boxes and finish the move into our new house.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #100
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

I'm diggin' your sunshade!
Nice find with the turn signal lenses, looks better imo.
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote