• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Random starts only with throttle

Fa182

Stage 1
1997 945 HPT Turbo M90. Boost currently at 0,8bar (12psi).

Sometimes I have to give it a little throttle to start. It appears randomly, doesn't matter if engine is warm or cold. Cranks fine, but just wont start without throttle sometimes. It can be fine on one start and can happen on the next one. Very random.
If it happens, sometimes the engine stalls if I don't rev it past 2.000 or so briefly just once. It shudders a bit and then the idle is fine at around 800-900rpm.

Anyone got an idea? Vacuum leak?

Thanks.

Thanks, will try. I also tried turning the wheel for the click and it's there, but how much should it turn before the click? Does this have any influence?

I'm pretty sure it has the 2.4. Didn't get round to have a look at it today but will on the weekend.

Since the heater control valve exploded while driving and flooded the footwell on Friday, I just bypassed the heater core to drive home and put the car in the garage, so I didn't do any work on it on the weekend.

Anyway, I'd say I can move the wheel for like 4mm (1/8'in) until it clicks. Is this too much?

Has a lot of influence. Where does it click?

If by wheel you're referring to the TPS, it should click as soon as you move the throttle plate. In other words... when the throttle is idle, it should be fully un clicked, as soon as you give it the slightest amount of throttle, it should click.

I'm still having the issue, but I can narrow it down under which circumstances it happens

- If the car sits over night (currently around 30?F out here in the morning) and I turn the key, it instantly starts. The car starts up so fast, I can even barely hear the starter motor turning. It's like the starter only turns the engine over once. I only know cars where you usually have to crank a second or so before they come to life. I always thought it's a bit weird but I didn't bother.
- If I leave the car parked for like 5 mins, I have to crank a second or two and it fires right up, without having to push the throttle pedal.
- If I leave the car parked for let's say 20 minutes or half an hour, it only starts as soon as I push the throttle pedal. If I do not push the throttle, it just cranks but doesn't start. Sometimes it dies right after that (start with throttle - see my first post). Next start is usually fine. It does not die when starting up cold in the morning.

I'm a bit at a loss now. What I did was adjusting TPS and a new CPS, but it did not do anything.
I've read somewhere that injectors could be leaking after turning off, and drowning the cylinders with a bit of fuel. Could explain the hard warm starts and that it dies right after? And also the easy startup in the morning?

Anyone have any idea what else I could try?

Maybe also check your coolant temperature sensor for the LH-Jet system. It's under the #3 intake runner. When they fail, they sometimes do exactly what you're describing.

-J

Back