• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 965 AKA V90

initialD

Hi there,

I just bought esterday a volvo 965 2.5 24v Manual ( M90 )

Were, or from wich company can i buy some lower springs, and what can i do to make it faster ?

My 745 Tic is alooot faster, can i put a turbo on it, or will it break ?

Thank you in advance,

Best,

Ra?l

It WILL break, unless you build a later block, go standalone EFI, etc...

Oh and btw, jdm is not a look nor a state of mind, it's a market specification.

No they aren't pieces of crap. They are really smooth engines that are capable of making good power with the oem small turbo t6 setup. All the blank spots are already on the block they just need to be drilled. Also I suggest looking at some swedish forums for better info as only a few people on here have done whiteblock motors. And most on here think the b230 is the be all end all as far as volvo motors are concerned.

Yes you can put a turbo on it and yes it will last. If you don't intentionally brake it.

I believe others have said similar things before me somewhere here in the forum(?), but still here's a little lengthy answer:

Completely stock B6254/B6304 engine internals will take around 300hp with no problem. High compression does cause need for good ignition adjustment if not using E85(if available). Even a lower hp gives a nice feel and more driveability.

If you have to replace headgasket for any reason, I would fill the gaps between cylinders with 0.8mm shims in any case. Prevents the block cast from falling towards the gap and therefore cylinders from cracking. Have had and seen several stock 5- and 6-cyl engines with this failure due to overheating badly or other reasons. Those reasons on boosted engines being most likely overboost, fuel or spark problems, etc.

260-270hp is completely doable with stock 960/x90 Motronic, E85, 2.8l T6/2.5T(300cc) injectors and around 4bar base fuel pressure. No other mods needed than to add turbo and make a new exhaust. Or at least rear muffler because stock is restricting as hell.

Did a 245 few years ago with stock -95 2.5l, M90 and T6 turbos. According to 1/4 mile had ~260hp with 0,5bar boost or so. Great driveability and good mileage. And just did one 965 -95 with stock 2.5l, M90, HX40, built exhaust. Fuel pressure might be around 4.5bar? Dyno said 287hp on 0.5bar boost. On the sheet it looked like only thing restricting power was stock rev limiter :-P
Dyno runs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY8Aj_LCxks

And might not apply OP:s car or question, but stock 2.5l block shoud take at least 600hp with gaps filled so there is no problem from that side. 550hp is completely on the safe side. Of course good blocks are getting harder to find and 2.8l T6 bottom end is a good replacement. Nonexistant wear on cylinders even on high mileage engines and needs just rods and cylinder gaps filled for 700hp...

Back