• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 240 will not rev

whitey5150

My 240 had been sitting in storage for a while and i had decided to start it up to make sure all was well. And it started right up and idled great but once you push the gas it just climbs a few hundred rpm and cuts out back to idle. If you hold the throttle down it just revs up a little drops down to nealy a stall and repeats like that. Threw out error code 223 and 234 if I unplug the tps nothing changes and so I switched it for another used one, same story. Im wondering if the iac is faulty? Or is this a guaranteed fuel pump/ filter problem? In which case it needs to be beefed up for my turbo build anyways. Any help would be appreciated I sent a good chunk of time already tinkering around with it. The perfect idle is strange considering all the codes say it should be messed up.

Its an 89. I tried that it runs worse. I have an old iac valve kicking around. Ill try switching em.

My car ran like that once when it was still LH, and an intercooler hose popped off. I.e. no air going through the MAF. At idle, I think the ECU goes into a different mode, and even if the MAF isn't saying anything it can still run half decently. But when you put the pedal down, more air goes into the motor, the ECU sees nothing from the MAF, it goes ridiculously lean and sputters/doesn't rev.

Check for splits in the plumbing between the MAF and throttle body and check for hoses that might have come off such as the IAC or brake booster.

Hopefully its the hoses Ill check those. Though any suggestions as to why it just continues to idle even with the tps disconnected

Yeah im suspecting the codes are unrelated to the problem. Mice have been getting into the engine bay though so maybe they ate a vacuum line.

Time to put out posion or mice traps.

Ha ha first thing I did. Also a bucket of water next to a ledge works wonders.

Well so far from what I see is that the vacuum lines are fine. I suspect its either the fuel pressure or ecu. It did run slightly better when I put more fuel In.

Last edited:
Well now that its summer I can work on the car again. changed the fuel filter and confirmed that both fuel pumps run, even removed the intank pump and confirmed everything is alright there. The car can sorta be nursed up to 50 kph maybe more, I have no tachometer so I would have to guess its cutting out at 1500 rpm give or take. exhaust smells rich but engine runs very smooth. replaced some vacuum lines and nothing still. just hits that point and goes vroom vroom vroom.....vroom vroom vroom. always tries 3 times them a slight stall and catches again. im really running out of ideas here.

Chewed up wires under the hood? Rat's nest clogging the exhaust?

well I'm not sure about the exhaust being clogged, but I can seem to find anything chewed up. Can a fuel pump work but not bump enough? the main is a little noisy despite the intank pump working well.

Edit: my car does have the pink label ecu thats known to go bad. I have the ecu from a turbo 740, if both cars a lh2.4 it should work to some degree right? Just to see if that's what went bad.

Last edited:
Yes a fuel pump can run poorly causing lower-than-ideal fuel pressure. Your problem sounds like a maf to me. Maybe you can find someone with the same car and try their maf or computer if they'll let you.

If both cars are lh2.4 you could try swapping computers but it might have different fuel enrichments and tables so it could run poorly. Worth a shot though if it stops the bogging.

Also check for airbox restrictions.

well I put the 563 ecu in there, corrected the problem but it runs real rough always stalling but can rev like normal. Though it shoots black smoke out like I didn't even know a gasoline engine could. I notice with this good ecu that the pump runs for a second when I turn the key and for a moment after the car stops. The pink label 561 does not do this like it should. Anyone ever repair a pink label?

You need to disconnect battery power for a second or 2 so the computers reset. Black smoke indicates a very rich condition, the computers need to learn. I don't know if using a turbo computer will work very well if it's not turbo (1988 240..did you turbo it?) so maybe sourcing a new computer would be your best bet. Find out what is compatible with your system and get a newer model ECU that is more reliable.

You need to disconnect battery power for a second or 2 so the computers reset. Black smoke indicates a very rich condition, the computers need to learn. I don't know if using a turbo computer will work very well if it's not turbo (1988 240..did you turbo it?) so maybe sourcing a new computer would be your best bet. Find out what is compatible with your system and get a newer model ECU that is more reliable.
Yeah it learnt to idle the car without stalling but poorly. Sorta drivable you could definitely limp home with this. It was mostly to see for sure if it was the ecu. I have a rebuilt b230ft to put in it soon but I don't have the money to put it in yet. So now the name of the game is to find a very cheap lh2.4 NA computer.

Back