• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

rebuilding a 16v head

dirtbag240

so i managed to find a 16v head, it does have bent valves as the timing belt likely snapped
but its 100 bucks Canadian (80usd)

so as they are cheap and local to me (less then 15 min)

is it worth the struggle to rebuild?

i have all the time in the world as well so i have no real time constraints

probably going to get them anyways but opinions are always god

Make sure the guides aren't cracked. Be careful taking out the bent valves. Some people crack the guides taking bent valves out. It's just going to up the cost on the machine work

Make sure the guides aren't cracked.

This. The stock guides are cast-iron and often crack when the valves get bent. Luckily, replacement valves and guides are reasonable (guides ~$10/ea and valves are ~$15/ea).

well that was a flop
every valve bent
missing valve springs
and to top it off
no camshafts or anything

it was basically just the cast components of a head. .. oh well

anyone in the PNW got a 16v head for sale haha

Given what a good complete one sounds like that still strikes me as a decent price, assuming the casting is in good shape. You can get all the missing parts, but it's a matter of the amount of effort you want to put into it.

if you're doing guides, go ahead and replace them with something more better than the oem guides. I got bronze/whatever gee whiz guides from sivalves a few years ago, they rock.

Last edited:
yeah.. search for pyropetes kits.. they really rock :) Bronze/mangan guides and nice SS valves for a really good price.

He sells what appears to be just SI Valves and guides in a kit. Nothing too special there.
Stock valves have a better profile, I just re-profile the SI 16v volvo ones.

so an update i found someone with a more or less complete aq 171 head but it has no camshafts or cam carrier

would i be ale to take parts from the b234 head and mix and match until i have a complete head or no?

No the cam carrier and the bottom of the head are a machined matched set. Not ideal. Find a complete head.

Where are you? I have a couple spares, but not interested in shipping.

Back