home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #26
PeaceEngineered
Sarcastic Optimist

Nice ride. Fun too. I ultimately sold mine due to the ride over bumps- I thought my teeth were going to rattle out. However, I do miss those seats! That said, the struts from a v70 AWD car will work and you can remove the sensors from your current 4C to trick the control module. Just a thought (budget conscience).
Also, I am now fresh out of the Volvo game, and have a laptop loaded with VIDA and a barely used DICE unit I have no use for. PM if interested.
Peace
Sold- 2006 V70R
PeaceEngineered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #27
Lord_Athlon
Chuckie Blows

>Buys a car to replace the B2200
>takes it apart
>Still drives b2200

feelsgoodman.bmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Yet Asher here went with...
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:37 PM   #28
PeaceEngineered
Sarcastic Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
>takes it apart
>Still drives b2200

feelsgoodman.bmp
The answer is always a Mazda. Haha
PeaceEngineered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #29
white855T
Board Member

These cars aren't very fun to work on. So this is how typically goes. Not a big deal if you're patient. It seems like you are a patient person.

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301654
white855T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:21 PM   #30
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
>takes it apart
>Still drives b2200

feelsgoodman.bmp
Hey I'm bumping around town in the 89 244. Keeping it in the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
These cars aren't very fun to work on. So this is how typically goes. Not a big deal if you're patient. It seems like you are a patient person.
I guess. Methodical at least.

The goal will be to stay ahead of the 8-ball with this thing and address issues before they're problems when I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
nipple farts
My Project (It's a 1979 244DL...sort of.)
K-Jet to Megasquirt Article

The Departed: 1981 245, 1983 245 Turbo, 1983 244 Turbo, 1983 242 Turbo, 1984 244, 1985 245 Turbo, 1989 244, 1989 244, 1989 765, 1990 245 Turbo, 1991 244, 1992 245, 1997 855
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #31
stick70
All the gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r View Post
The goal will be to stay ahead of the 8-ball with this thing and address issues before they're problems when I can.
That's the only way to own one imo. They aren't bad if you just replace things as they need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
Cool car. Smells period correct. Would follow through twisties again. A+
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #32
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

yeah that's about the size of it. Mine hasn't done anything spastic despite being OMG 04 SUX, just regular maintenance stuff.

that being said, mine will likely be for sale sometime this year as well. doesn't fit the eventual project goals and I've already got too large of a collection of crap to warrant having it laying around rotting away

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #33
volvo78244
Ring apprentice

That's a nice car!

If not yet done, get an IC upgrade, you'll thank me for that. I had a DO88 IC on my S60R, huge improvement.
1993 960 B204FT
1992 740 B230FD
1990 960 B204FT
1987 340 B14E Variomatic (sold)
1982 242 B230FK
volvo78244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:18 PM   #34
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Thanks. It's got a Snabb IC on it already. It's back on the road now, and leak-free.

I need to address a coil harness that has some cracking insulation, and then it'll be at 100% until something else breaks.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #35
stick70
All the gauges

That's about 1000% normal.
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #36
gtlover
One Weird Old Trick

Quote:
I need to address a coil harness that has some cracking insulation, and then it'll be at 100% until something else breaks.
davebarton.com and get some moose stickers while you're at it.
09 Volvo C70 T5
11 Honda Odyssey Touring "Penelope"
09 Genuine Buddy 150 Blackjack "Jack"
volvo_bass@hotmail.com
gtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #37
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlover View Post
davebarton.com and get some moose stickers while you're at it.
please do not put moose stickers on it
Old 08-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #38
gtlover
One Weird Old Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
please do not put moose stickers on it
Aw, c'mon, not even a Mooseyes sticker on the airbox or a Pegamoose on the trunk lid?
gtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #39
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlover View Post
Aw, c'mon, not even a Mooseyes sticker on the airbox or a Pegamoose on the trunk lid?
I’m just not a sticker guy! The trunk lid would be better than the front fenders at least.
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #40
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Well R ownership is going exactly as I expected lol

The car is a lot of fun, but after a weekend of hard driving at MountainMeet, a faint clunk in the front driver's side suspension got noticeably worse. It was diagnosed as bad spring seats, so I ordered new seats, ball joints, tie rods, and endlinks.

Got through replacing the passenger side yesterday, tackling the driver's side tonight.

Unfortunately I discovered that the 4C strut on the passenger side is effectively dead. Still rides fine and isn't throwing a code, but there's really no resistance on compression and it doesn't rebound.

I'm sort of torn on what to do. It's actually cheaper to buy a complete BC coilover setup for the car, and after talking to a couple people that own them, they seem very pleased with them.

KWs are an option, though more expensive.

I could overhaul the 4C through FCP and just use their lifetime warranty the next time they fail, but the same argument could be made for the BC coilover kit purchased through FCP.

My biggest concern is that I don't want to look at error messages every time I start the car, and I don't want to lose the adaptive throttle or DSTC. I guess that means I'll be cutting the inductors out of the original struts and hiding them somewhere to fool the system.

I also need to replace the LDP apparently. That's not too bad though, about $75 it seems.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:12 PM   #41
doucheNozzle

Quote:
Well R ownership is going exactly as I expected lol

The car is a lot of fun, but after a weekend of hard driving at MountainMeet, a faint clunk in the front driver's side suspension got noticeably worse. It was diagnosed as bad spring seats, so I ordered new seats, ball joints, tie rods, and endlinks.

Got through replacing the passenger side yesterday, tackling the driver's side tonight.

Unfortunately I discovered that the 4C strut on the passenger side is effectively dead. Still rides fine and isn't throwing a code, but there's really no resistance on compression and it doesn't rebound.

I'm sort of torn on what to do. It's actually cheaper to buy a complete BC coilover setup for the car, and after talking to a couple people that own them, they seem very pleased with them.

KWs are an option, though more expensive.

I could overhaul the 4C through FCP and just use their lifetime warranty the next time they fail, but the same argument could be made for the BC coilover kit purchased through FCP.

My biggest concern is that I don't want to look at error messages every time I start the car, and I don't want to lose the adaptive throttle or DSTC. I guess that means I'll be cutting the inductors out of the original struts and hiding them somewhere to fool the system.

I also need to replace the LDP apparently. That's not too bad though, about $75 it seems.
Bah, don't buy BC.

'93 944 T - #TrophyVo
'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #42
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
Bah, don't buy BC.
Why not? I've talked to three people that have the BR setup on their P2Rs and they all really like them.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #43
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

I got the front struts off amazon a couple years ago. probably about due on the rears now. Also have a clunk that got worse at MM, could be strut mount (I have those already, they were supposed to be replaced this summer, but... reasons), but I think mine is going to be lower suspension/swaybar related... even though I replaced the end links and a couple other odds and ends when I did the struts. reckon I'll see what's up when I get it on the lift.

what's the ldp?
Old 10-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #44
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
what's the ldp?
Leak Detection Pump. A couple days ago, I started to get a dash message that said "fuel filler cap open-loose" and Erik says that's almost always an indication that the pump has gone bad. I guess it has something to do with detecting the integrity of the fuel evap system.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #45
pat244ti

Quote:
Why not? I've talked to three people that have the BR setup on their P2Rs and they all really like them.
Maybe I am misinformed, but I don't think they involve as much or any sketchy welding or cutting compared to an install on a 240. In that case I think they would be worth a shot.
73 1800es - resto
08 c30 T5 6spd - daily
97 dakota 5.2 4x4 single cab short bed - apocalypse mobile
pat244ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #46
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat244ti View Post
Maybe I am misinformed, but I don't think they involve as much or any sketchy welding or cutting compared to an install on a 240. In that case I think they would be worth a shot.
They don't. They're bolt-in.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:15 PM   #47
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Leak Detection Pump. A couple days ago, I started to get a dash message that said "fuel filler cap open-loose" and Erik says that's almost always an indication that the pump has gone bad. I guess it has something to do with detecting the integrity of the fuel evap system.
oh, on mine it was just the gas cap. check there first, make sure the gasket isn't cracked.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:11 AM   #48
adamdrives
Board Member

it's hard to find a well maintained 06- m66 R. I was looking for one earlier in the year and couldn't find any near San Jose. Nice purchase!
08 GSXR 1000
adamdrives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:21 PM   #49
GTJordan
Been here for too long

Quote:
You've bought VIDA right? Otherwise it is just a parts cannon and that gets REALLY expensive.

Personally, I've never seen that error be the leak detection pump. Typically it is a big leak somewhere- like the gas cap, or maybe the evap line under the car has separated.

With VIDA, you'll do a 5 minute evap test. It will tell you if the pump is running, and if there is a leak, how big. Then you can narrow it down.

Any time I've seen a leak detection pump failure, it threw a check engine light, not a cap loose message.

I've only ridden in one car with BC suspension, it knocked like crazy. But it was old at the time.

Jordan
Old 10-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #50
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

So the fuel cap message actually went away...maybe it was just a loose cap. Interesting.

Found my clunk in the front left...it was a combination of a worn ball joint and loose swaybar endlink. New spring seats, ball joints, endlinks, and outer tie rod end, aligned on Saturday morning, at the Dragon Saturday afternoon.

The car performed really well. Derrick in the Miata is still quicker through the turns which is...bothersome, but that car is worked over pretty well. Still only 1/3 of the power tho. Argh.

Best bang for the buck would probably be a set of stickier tires, but these truthfully aren't bad. It does have a tendency to understeer/push if you romp on it in a turn too hard, but if you keep it below the limit and listen when the car talks back, it is really more than capable. It ran down a number of cars this weekend, and the only one I was consistently slower than was Derrick.

Anyhow...

^Photo by Derrick

Our hammock camping spot early this morning:

Hung out at Gravity Cavity a bit:

It was Minis weekend. Tiny cars, HUGE egos:

Suzuki B-King. Don't see many of these. It's basically a factory-built streetfighter version of the Hayabusa.

I love going to dinner at Tapoco...the parking lot is always like a car show.

We get it bro, your brakes vape.