home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-29-2019, 07:26 AM   #176
M.H. Yount
Board Member

The conical on mine sits in the same location - behind the passenger side head light. I've checked intake air temps with the phone app -- they seem to run about ambient, maybe 5-10F warmer when it's really toasty in the summer, so that's a decent spot for keeping warmer air out of the motor.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:18 PM   #177
brickcupra
Board Member

Default outside temp

hey thanks for the tip. Well since im running a turbo the colder the better. I got from a 86 civic wagon a screen that goes on top of thr carb for free and almost fits the hole so im planning to adapt it for looks as well.
DZ
brickcupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #178
jjona5
Board Member

This is awesome. makes me think a coyote would fit as well. Great job
jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #179
aidanahunter
Board Member

I think it's time for an update. The wagon has been doing very well so far.

After the Northern Michigan trip, it was time to finally get rid of the donor. Before that happened, I took some symbolic photos of the two cars together.

After that, it was time for the flatbed. I gave the car away to a local scrap yard for free on the condition that I could keep the wheels. The next day, I went to the yard and removed the wheels as the car was held in the air by a skid steer.

The wagon went on a trip to Winona, MN for business. My colleagues up there were all thrilled to see it since I had been telling them about it for the last year. I also took it to the shop that shortened the driveshaft to show them the application.

Winona, MN is a town directly on the Mississippi river, so that topography up there is stunning with bluffs everywhere you look. It was great to finally have the opportunity to drive it down Highway 61 along the river for the first time.

On the way home from this trip, I finally floored it for the first time. The car moves! This video is not the first time, but it is my favorite video I was able to take that day.

4.6 32V 240 Wagon
aidanahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #180
aidanahunter
Board Member

Next, the wagon was taken on a long trip to Grand Lake, CO. Originally I had planned to take our E91 BMW for this trip since it is mostly highway driving through Kansas and eastern Colorado. At this time, the Volvo is not geared well at all for this kind of driving. It'll do it, but it will get 20mpg when we could be getting 30 in the E91. I decided that if I didn't take the Volvo on this trip, I would regret it. So we took it.

It did very well this entire trip. I made the mistake of buying some 85 octane fuel and I think there was a little knocking at hot starts, but that's about it. It had no issues climbing the mountains and the coolant temp remained below 215 F the entire way. In general, for cruising, it likes to hang out around 185 or 190.

I talked about my Mark VIII that kind of sparked all of this in the first post of this thread but haven't shown any pictures of it. Now is an appropriate time, since I had the opportunity to take a picture of the Volvo in the (almost) same place I took one of my favorite pictures of my Mark VIII in 2014. Here they are, side by side.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #181
aidanahunter
Board Member

Now for some fun stuff. In post #22, I talked about putting the Mark VIII wheels on the Volvo when all is said and done. Last weekend, I finally made that a reality with some custom wheel adapters from motorsport-tech.com. I'd recommend these guys. The owner called me about my specs before they started cutting metal just to make sure I wasn't insane! The set of adapters shipped was $265. I used a 19mm thickness adapter to make the 39mm offset of the Mark VIII wheel equal to the Volvo's 20mm offset. The Lincoln's wheels are 16x7 compared to the Volvo's 14x5.5 wheels, so an extra 3/4" sticks out on each side. I used 205/55R16 tires making the wheel assembly diameter almost equal to the originals, but a little bit bigger.

Putting the adapters on was a bit of a chore. I didn't realize, but should have realized, that the Volvo hub studs need to be shortened. Torquing the adapters down was an adventure as well. I used my handy dandy busted broom handle to help with that.

These wheels are notoriously hideous on a Mark VIII. The worst stock wheels you can have on the car. But on the Volvo? Something insane happens. I love it.

The tires tuck right in, front and back, without the need for any fender rolling.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #182
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Wow. You’ve been busy! Those wheels actually look really nice on the wagon!

-Project Thread-
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:33 PM   #183
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Awesome progress and trip reports. I'm jealous you got yours done so quickly. But happy to read that you're driving it and enjoying it.

The wheels have an almost gothic look to them on the 240, like an old French cathedral or something. Some custom center caps might look sweet on there and finish it off.

Obligatory: needz moar low!
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #184
v8volvo
Board Member

Looks and sounds great, and kudos for really putting it to use. Swaps like this are always cool, but ten times more so when you put in the effort to get them to the point where you can rely on them and actually put on some miles that you enjoy.

Well done!
99 T4 Eurovan 1.9 TDI swapped
02 F250 SD 5.4/4R100
v8volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #185
brickcupra
Board Member

Default lincoln wheels

Holy Molly !!!! your wagon has a helluva character now!!! Glad to hear all is going well with the project.
Would like to get toghether once mine is done Take care
DZ
brickcupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #186
aidanahunter
Board Member

Since this wagon is originally a North Carolina car with absolutely no rust, this just might be the first time it has ever seen salt. I took it back to Minnesota again, but this time coming out of Missouri there was really nasty winter weather. Salt and sand trucks were out doing their thing and the car was basically white the next day after everything had dried. I'm mostly posting about this to share pictures of what happened on the front wheels. The snow/slush formation is crazy! Car performed flawlessly otherwise. The heater on these cars is way too good.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:28 PM   #187
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Haha. That’s pretty cool, now get that salt and sand off your wagon stat!
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote