home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #1
Bajorker

Default 1981 242 Turbo M46

Hey everyone, I recently found an '81 242 turbo (b21ft). It had been resprayed black, but originally it was silver metallic. It has been sitting for over 10 years and has over 181k, not sure if the odo works or not. Its obviously sunk in the ground a couple of inches, and the chassis is frozen right to it. The seats were a little faded and crunchy, but no tears. The sunroof must have been leaking a lot, because behind the front passenger seat was a lot of ice. The bottom of the driver's rocker was crusty, but the door sill parts on both sides were pretty good. The trunk was also leaking a little; there was a blanket frozen to the bottom of the pan and I couldn't get it out to look for rust.

The owner was a great guy and a retired euro mechanic. We bought some other stuff from him, but not the car since it was in a foot of snow and frozen to the ground. He said he had rebuilt the motor (pistons, seals, gaskets, head work), the transmission (seals and synchros), and the rear end. The reason it was parked was something to do with the oil pump, but the owner said he made sure it had oil pressure and no damage was done.

He wants 1000, I want to get an idea if it's worth saving or not.
The pictures aren't from the best angles because the snow was deep around it.
https://imgur.com/a/ORhrvo4
Old 03-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

I'd give him $750 as long as the thing isn't rusty. Shame about the terrible paint. I'm sure you can knock back the rattle can job. These things are worth a bundle in Sweden as long as they are in decent enough shape...

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #3
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

Biggest concern I'd have is whether or not it still has a floor. I'm assuming you couldn't see underneath the car because of the snow/ice? At least the interior looks pretty decent, all things considered.

I'd love to get those front and rear door panels, power windows and all that stuff from it if it gets parted.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

I might drag it out for half that price, there's not an easy grand in parts to pick from it and otherwise would need to be prepared to put several more into it to get a car out of it. I paid $400 for my car that was sitting for 12 years. I replaced EVERYTHING. Any motor rebuild stuff is totally moot after this much time.

We bought a black '92 SPG from the side of the road once that was also filled with ice from a leaking sunroof. Somehow it turned out to be completely clean and solid. So maybe you'll catch some similar luck but highly unlikely with that much time on the dirt.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
Bajorker

I think I'm going to go back and look at it when the ground dries out. It's around 2.5 hours away from me, so it is a little way. I did take some of the trim out and peel the carpet back and it looked ok, but that was only part of the floor pan it could have holes in other places. Thanks for the responses though I appreciate it.
Bajorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #6
Bajorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Banana View Post
Biggest concern I'd have is whether or not it still has a floor. I'm assuming you couldn't see underneath the car because of the snow/ice? At least the interior looks pretty decent, all things considered.

I'd love to get those front and rear door panels, power windows and all that stuff from it if it gets parted.
Ok, I'll try to keep you in mind. Unfortunately, chances are if I buy it it's getting parted, but it's all up to what the belly looks like.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #7
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

The first part of the floor to rust is the rear floor where the passenger puts their feet. It's the part of the floor where it's only a single layer and it also is where the water gets on the floor from the heater unit having a clogged drain. The water will come out the lower heater vents under the seat when the a/c is running in the summer.

I have an 81 and they are prone to rust. Mine was garage kept till 2003 and still have rust in the rocker quarter panel area between the door and the rear wheel arch. For some reason that is a very susceptible spot on the 242 body. All the other usual spots should be checked as well like butt cheeks behind the rear wheel. The panel behind the rear bumper, and below the tailights. To name a few more.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
Bajorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
The first part of the floor to rust is the rear floor where the passenger puts their feet. It's the part of the floor where it's only a single layer and it also is where the water gets on the floor from the heater unit having a clogged drain. The water will come out the lower heater vents under the seat when the a/c is running in the summer.

I have an 81 and they are prone to rust. Mine was garage kept till 2003 and still has rust in the rocker quarter panel area between the door and the rear wheel arch. For some reason that is a very susceptible spot on the 242 body. All the other usual spots should be checked as well like butt cheeks behind the rear wheel. The panel behind the rear bumper, and below the tailights. To name a few more.
I got in the back seat and jumped on the water spot pretty hard to see if my foot would go through the floor and nothing happened. You're right about under the taillights for sure, the left one was a little crusty but probably fixable. I don't know how much they're worth, but the owner had a few boxes of other parts and I saw a center dash piece with all the knobs/switches and another one of those gauge plates with the clock/boost gauge/oil press/oil temp. Id think those are worth a good amount. Kinda funny how there are more gauges on that car than pretty much any new car, and its mostly all analog.