home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #1
Boonestafa

Default Project Rhonda: 95’ 940 estate

Hey everybody, welcome to my first real resto-mod project and my first Volvo! I’ve long been into cars and performance modification, but never with this old of a vehicle (or starting with one that doesn’t work lol) my stable of vehicles down through the years includes an 06 mazdaspeed 6, a 2008 masdaspeed three, an 02 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro m6, an 02 vw gti, and a 91 vw gti. This project Volvo is coming at an interesting time with a new baby on the way arround New Years and I’m currently garage less having just bought a new house this year. so, I’m basically trying to get the vehicle functional and back to stage ‘0’. Eventually it will get built out for performance but the caveat with the wife is that the Volvo has to be capable of getting itself to and from the junkyard and back for anything beyond functional repairs so first mods will involve a trailer setup and roof rack. also... I work on electronics for a living, specifically radar, so I’m handy with a soldering iron and troubleshooting in general. Additionally I’ve wrenched a fair bit on everything from bicycles to high end industrial equipment.

The car itself was another dude’s project that he tired of and I bought for $800. It runs well when it runs and is in decent shape overall but needs some TLC and investigation to figure out where he dropped the ball.

Basic issue right now:
-Vehicle dies randomly when driving before warmup. Boggs at 2-2.5k rpm after warmup.
-o2 sensor code on Ecu
- Speedo doesn’t work
- e-brake missing cable

Cheers!
Boonestafa

Last edited by Boonestafa; 10-15-2019 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Updated issues
Boonestafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #2
Boonestafa

Can anyone see the photo? It’s been a while since I’ve done this and I’m struggling
Old 10-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #3
Unqualified

Hey mate, can't see any photos, no.
Unqualified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #4
redblockpowered
Board Member

Nope. No pictures here.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
Boonestafa

Holy **** that was way harder than i remember it being. Pics for clicks! I started the car and drove it last night and It quickly fell on its face when accelerating. So I took it back to the driveway and let it idle for a half hour. The radiator fan finally kicked on! Took it for another spin and it ran fine. What could cause cold bogging? I wanna get this sorted so I can get the thing on the road and start fixing the suspension!
Old 10-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #6
redblockpowered
Board Member

No 02 sensor is a start, plus I would check for any fault codes at pin 2 and pin 6 of diagnostic connector A.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
sbabbs
Board Member

What transmission does it have?
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #8
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Help me RHONDA! Good luck with the long roof, always a joy to see another survivor.

Turbo car, hopefully?

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #9
Boonestafa

I’ll rerun the codes tonight and see what comes up. When I initially figured out how to use the code box I had been unplugging the amm and various vacuum hoses trying to troubleshoot it. I talked with the previous owner’s son and when they replaced the exhaust he put the o2 sensor in front of the cat? Apparently there are multiple bungs on the pipe and the o2 sensor I have isn’t new though it looks new.
I haven’t figured out how which auto I have yet. I’m aware there is two different types. Any easy way to tell?
Unfortunately... no it’s a b230fd from what I’ve read. Ultimate goal is going to be a 5.3 swap with either a 4l80 or a manual depending on what I can find for reasonable cash. With that said if I find a decent turbo b230 id be happy to go that route. Hell its all up in the air right now as the short term goal beyond getting the engine reliable is building the suspension out and setting her up for towing a trailer. I really want a safari style rack on the long roof too!
Old 10-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #10
Boonestafa

Ecu codes are as follows:
A2: 212

B2: 122
B5: 212

I spent some time last night messing with the car. When I first started it up. It started and idled fine. I drove it up and down the street once and it started to bog. I left the car to idle for 30 min or so and went and drove it again and it drove fine for 10 min. After then it would hang arround 2k rpm until about 2.5 krpm when it would rev freely again. I reached down and the blue injector relay was warm to the touch. In the past I’ve tried jumping out the relay without success but the car probably wasn’t warm yet. I’m not sure if I have two issues here or if I’m missing something. I’m going to go start the car cold and see if it hangs at 2k again or what. I only noticed the specifics of the bog when warm last night and didn’t have time to mess with it much.
Thanks for your help! Curran
Old 10-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #11
Boonestafa

Looks like the 212 on the A bank of the code block is for 02 sensor. Where does the damn thing plug into the harness? Which side of the engine? Should the sensor be before or after the cat?
Old 10-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #12
Boonestafa

Balloon poked above the horizon while working on Rhonda!
Old 10-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #13
Boonestafa

Ok... found the installed sensor behind the cat, actually screwed into the front of the car itself. Traced it up to the harness and took some measurements. The 13v source from the car was there and about .5v on the sensor wire. I took some mV readings on the o2 sensor and initially was getting 250mv or so but as soon as I turned the car on it went to zero. The part number on the installed o2 sensor is 5-965261-1. The sensor I have from the trunk is 1-965102-1.