home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
durk80
Board Member

Default Shielded vs. Non-shielded wire question

I would like to run new wire from the crank position sensor to the ECU. My 91 240 3.1 has been giving me some problems, and would like to know if I could run regular automotive wire for the three connections vs. the shielded wire that is on there now. I'm not sure what problems it would cause, such as significant EMF noise from the engine causing it to run poorly- which maybe could be eliminated by braiding it in a ponytail.

I suspect the wiring because The CPS was bought about a year ago. I put some wire wrap around the cable to keep it from getting chewed up.

If this is a terrible idea, does anyone know of a store that sells this kind of wire?

Thanks as always!
durk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
dl242gt
Can play the blues

That isn't the way to do it because braiding doesn't stop other signals from being induced into the wiring. The foil shielding is there so other signals, for example the high voltage ignition noise won't be induced into the wires.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
bobxyz
Board Member

Here's a link for shielded 2-wire cable: https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...2-gauge-10-39/

Or, you could try using a piece of USB 2.0 cable - the inner wires are pretty small (maybe 28 AWG?). Electrically, they'll be fine but mechanically they may be too fragile for an engine compartment.

edit: you might get lucky and find a USB cable with bigger power/ground wires:
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:58 PM   #4
durk80
Board Member

Thank you dl242gt!
Quote:
That isn't the way to do it because braiding doesn't stop other signals from being induced into the wiring. The foil shielding is there so other signals, for example the high voltage ignition noise won't be induced into the wires.
Would this do the trick if I can fit the insulated wires inside 18 or 16 gauge? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tubular-Bra...-/291978557481

bobxyz thank you as well!!
Quote:
Here's a link for shielded 2-wire cable: https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...2-gauge-10-39/
I have seen other wire for sale like this with the same gauge, but for some reason, I feel that 22 gauge is too small for what is on there now, yet I would buy it if it would be reliable for my application. I am actually considering going the micro or mega squirt kit route, since it is probably close to the cost of a new MAF sensor.

Thank you guys for some sound advice and ideas!
Old 07-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
woodenpudden
lacks goats

https://www.mouser.com/Tools-Supplie...yzv2xqZ1yz7zln

Wrap the wires in that, then add heatshrink.

Flunt delivers!
woodenpudden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
durk80
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenpudden View Post
https://www.mouser.com/Tools-Supplie...yzv2xqZ1yz7zln

Wrap the wires in that, then add heatshrink.
Excellent! I can't wait to try it out after I get done moving.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
dl242gt
Can play the blues

FYI it is important for the wire to be the correct gauge size. Using a small size wire for that signal provides the signal to the ecu in the amplitude that works.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #8
OttoB
Board Member

I'm going to test Tasker 0,5 mm shielded microphone cable for next ECU project.
OttoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:06 PM   #9
durk80
Board Member

I cut into the cable today with utility shears after it didn't make a mark in the insulation using the 18 or 20 gauge location on my wire strippers. Maybe it is 22 gauge like the 2 core shielded offered by megasquirt. https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...#tab-questions

The copper strands had definitely suffered some oxidation.

I considered the microphone wire as well, but was worried that it wouldn't last from the engine heat, so I decided I will try some 18 gauge copper 150 strand with a silicone jacket. This will then get wrapped with a bare wire, overlaid with conductive copper foil tape, and stuffed into heat shrink. I will post the results when it's finished!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #10
PeaceEngineered
Sarcastic Optimist

When you create your shielding cover, it needs to be only grounded on one end, and make the ground attachment as close to the ECM ground to rid as much noise as possible.
PeaceEngineered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #11
bobxyz
Board Member

If you're wiring all the way from the EZK to within an inch of the CPS sensor body, then yes, you want to connect all 3 wires at the EZK but leave the shield/drain wire disconnected at the sensor end. If you retain the stock CPS sensor with connector and cable stub (roughly 12" of cable), you want to connect both ends of all 3 wires. The shield/drain will be unconnected right at the CPS sensor.

If it were me, I'd get the DIYauto cable and just do a good job of adding strain relief / heat shrink at the connector.
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote