• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Front Door Speakers w/Crank Windows

15A

World's Oldest Brewery
Anyone here installed the later 5 1/4" speaker/grills in the front doors of a 240 with crank windows? Do they interfere with the larger grills?

Not really interested in 'extending' the handles......but would love to use the larger setups if possible.

TIA

Anyone here installed the later 5 1/4" speaker/grills in the front doors of a 240 with crank windows? Do they interfere with the larger grills?

Not really interested in 'extending' the handles......but would love to use the larger setups if possible.

TIA
I got a speaker to fit but it took alot of hacking and still couldn't get a grill to fit. Im just gonna put 6x9s down at the bottom.

It's a tight fit, but a buddy of mine used the HT-204 grilles on his '80 242GT. There's almost no clearance between the back of the crank and the grille, but they're still useable.

Saw this pic and kind of figured that.

large_83290-1131959.jpg

A customer's resto (actually identical colors to the one in the pic).....was hoping to get 5-1/4 components as they're better and cheaper than 4" components.

Thanks for the input fellas.

With crank handles and a desire for a big speaker we put a 6" round coax in the bottom of the door. But that was an early 240 pre plastic door pocket. After that I just use the small 4" speakers but buy something like an infinity speaker so it sounds good.

The system in this car looks to be 4" components in the doors and 6 1/2" components in the rear deck.....then either 2 8's or 2 10's behind the back seat. Speakers - probably Focals (best I could find for a 4") and JL subs/amps. Will be fun. heh heh

LOL sounds like you will rock your corner of the world. Enjoy!

I was using he infinity 4" coax in the doors with the crutchfield brackets that held the stock grills. Nothing too powerful.

Base model 1990 cars were equipped like that from the factory. Crank windows with the HT-204 grilles. So, apparently Volvo didn't find an issue with the clearance.

-J

I just might size it up before committing to one or the other. I've heard of people using extensions (?!) for some added clearance. I kind of wondered since EU had crank windows long after we did - would really like to use 5 1/4 components.

Fella said he wanted a world class paint job and a kick-ass stereo.....and thus he shall have them. :cool:

Now to decide on 8's or 10's. :omg:

Yeah mine has 5 1/4 from the factory with crank windows. The stock early 90s grills don't have much space for speakers with a thick rim or that protrude a bit.
With the Grille mounted as it should, no interfere with the crank handle. Not much room tho.

31929330007_large.jpg

Got some brackets to put over 4" pioneers to use the stock grilles.
45 minutes with some tin snips is all you need to get larger speakers into the lower corners.

Not that it helps you at all, just felt like sharing. And the window cranks clear them.

lose the knee biters?

The crank on mine clips the bottom of the speakers if I put in too much pressure, so I just made it a habit to pull a little while I crank the window and it's works fine.

Back