home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 06-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Default Water leak under blower motor

I noticed some water leaking into my 740 from under the blower motor, but I can't seem to find where it's coming in.

I went ahead and removed the cowl the other day to clean things out, but it was already very clean (had it off to replace my hood and fender) and I couldn't find anywhere water was blocked.
I sprayed it down with the hose and there wasn't any noticeable blockage, the water was draining from the frame rails below the front doors. I didn't immediately notice any water in the car, but after cleaning the engine bay and coming back to the car a little bit later, I saw the water in the picture below.

After I looked up near the blower, I couldn't see any sign of the water entering the car. The whole thing is sealed up with silicone and looks wet, but it isn't to the touch.
Could that be where it's coming in? The blower fan itself looked a little wet from the top, but it wasn't that bad.

bmdubya1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Can't see the picture. But if it isn't from the windshield then maybe in the heater fan housing? I know the 240 series has a drain that likes to clog up. Maybe there is a clogged drain in the fan housing?
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Oops, for some reason some people can't see the Google Photos links. Try this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mCWT8ghLP2XboKVb8

I heard about that, so I checked around the blower housing and couldn't find any sort of drain hose. It's definitely a possibility it's the windshield, the seals are pretty brittle and nasty looking.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
dl242gt
Can play the blues

I suggested the heater drain because not only have I had this happen on my 240s. A friend had multiple Land Rover Discoveries and one of them had a heater system that was flooded with what seemed like a gallon of water. We couldn't find a drain anywhere and he got rid of it having gotten tired of the BS repairs they required.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Yeah, it seems to be a common issue. I'll have to take one more look at it just to make sure.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
dl242gt
Can play the blues

I told my friend I would drill a hole in the heater box and add our own drain. lol. But he got rid of it instead.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Haha, whatever works! That may be my eventual solution.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:14 AM   #8
MasterBlaster
Board Member

Was it hot that day? Was the A/C on? Usually you get puddles of water on the ground as the frost on the evaporator and low-pressure line melts and drips out the drain, but the drain is plugged, or the spout is broken, or the little round squishy gasket that seals the spout to the firewall is compromised, the water stays inside with you.

1990 740GL, now in extra-small economy size.
461,000 km so far...
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #9
bmdubya1198
Board Member

No, the car hadn't been runnning in a while and I just got it going again. Haven't even driven it yet and there is no A/C belt on it, so that's not the problem.
The water is coming from when it rains on it.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #10
Mr. V
Board Member

I had a similar issue with my '88 740.

I addressed two things, and the problem stopped.

Made sure the AC drain was not plugged.

Removed the wipers and the small cowl / cover for them to inspect the area; saw that a rain shield on the passenger's side had gotten askew, so I repositioned it and resealed it with 3M Windo-Weld ribbon sealer (sticky, black mastic stuff).

While there I used glazing putty to seal up any seams where panels join together also.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
bmdubya1198
Board Member

I thought about sealing that panel that covers the fan. I may go ahead and give that a try.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:14 PM   #12
bmdubya1198
Board Member

I pulled the cowl off earlier this week and sealed around the black plastic shield over the blower, hoping that would maybe redirect the water around the blower instead of into it. Unfortunately that didn't fix the problem, but I made a new discovery.

We got a good bit of rain last night, and I looked up in the dash again today after noticing a puddle on the floor again, and I finally found out where the water is coming in. It seems to be coming from the hole in the bottom of the fan motor that's circled in the picture below.

My next question here is how do I stop this from happening? I felt around and found a hose attached to the blower housing near the corner of the firewall, but it didn't feel like it was clogged or anything. Plus it seems to go up, but not too far. I don't think it has much to do with drainage.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xFiRTu483ybjp5Zd9
Old 07-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #13
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Anybody?