home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 10-14-2018, 02:07 AM   #26
Bolzen
Board Member

Here goes the front. Original struts/springs have 109k miles. New part has approximately same length, but quite a bit more compact in other dimensions:

The strut mounts is very light weight and fit pretty snug, impressive piece of hardware:

Tightening the rod nuts proved not to be an easy job though, as they tend to rotate with the rod too freely, despite the car resting on the ground. And one cannot use open sockets here because of the rebound adjustment knob:

Stub axle mount is as precise as it can get:

Randomly chosen preload of 10 mm set the ride height to 15 mm higher than old OEM, which exactly corresponded to the change at the rear made earlier.

First ride -- different world. The rest is just lyrics.

Contrary to the forecast started raining cats and dogs -- very timely since i just washed the car after the garage work.

Immediately noticeable was the difference in road behavior or better say, manners. The car holds the lane quite a bit better, with no hunting and need of taxiing up. It definitely has more bite on turn-in, and developing better grip through high speed corners. The rear doesn't sag at acceleration, and front has very little dive at hard braking now. It's just stays firm and planted.

Meanwhile rain continued. Only by big splashes and sound from the tyres did i realize that i'm actually hitting larger potholes. Came over speed ruffles - same thing, ain't feel nothing except sound from the tyres running over rough spots. Pretty impressive. Just felt a bit bouncy on middle size jumps with the 5 clicks factory setting, still 19 remaining to increase the rebound.

Taking into account the short term experience and weighing all the factors one more time, the price for this piece of equipment seem quite reasonable. If these components are able to hold the properties for at least some score thousand miles, that will be really a lot of quality stuff for the buck. And availability of options for the simpler and more advanced solutions makes it even more custom oriented and attractive.
Bolzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #27
hikerguy
Board Member

B e a utiful
Old 10-22-2018, 09:09 PM   #28
kendogg
V8 Guy

Nice. I would have wanted these when I had my 960, but they weren't available when I was still driving it. JRZ's are badass.
kendogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #29
Bolzen
Board Member

This is not the first generation -- when i just found the shop, it carried different version. Many changes were made in the new release. What was also noticeable, the price didn't change much, so the temptation got too high
Old 11-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #30
Bolzen
Board Member

Default Europe has it.

A complete set of polyurethane bushings in 80ShA (orange) or 90ShA (blue).

Some vendors carry separate parts as well:

The catalogue man number for the entire kit is
MPBS: 6602003

Who wants to try it out would be welcome to the guinea pig club!
Old 11-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #31
hikerguy
Board Member

$530 but what's shipping from Poland involve
hikerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:10 AM   #32
Bolzen
Board Member

And you probably thought entry to the guinea pig club is for free!?
Old 11-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #33
Lankku
Board Member

Prices seem reasonable compared to what originals cost here. Might have to consider more seriosly if I take V90 on the road again. Not the whole set but front control arms and rear upper control arm rear bushings at least.

Here is a complete listing what is available: http://mpbs.pl/1128-multi-link-ii-1995-
Old 11-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #34
hikerguy
Board Member

If the bushings look as nice as the pictures I'm on board!
hikerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #35
Bolzen
Board Member

Smells like a group buy. If it's so, i'm in too.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #36
rearwheelpeel
Board Member

+1 on a group buy. I need these.
rearwheelpeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:55 AM   #37
Bolzen
Board Member

We could make a list of prospective participants with a detailed order from each, excluding shipping cost due to various destinations required. Then submit the request to the supplier and see what we can get.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #38
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

I am skeptical of this bushing working in poly.

Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #39
Bolzen
Board Member

Where is the pitfall?
Old 11-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #40
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolzen View Post
Where is the pitfall?
It has to pivot, poly and rubber is similar as it doesn't pivot unless there is room for deflection, the reason the factory rubber is so weak is it needs voids to properly articulate.

A spherical in this location would be a better bet.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #41
Bolzen
Board Member

That bushing will eventually fail just like the OEM is in no doubt. The question is will it hold longer to cut the replacement time and cost at least in half. If it replicated the OEM design exactly, it might in theory. But your point is that it has a bit different build, not fully compatible with its due functionality?
Old 11-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #42
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
That bushing will eventually fail just like the OEM is in no doubt. The question is will it hold longer to cut the replacement time and cost at least in half. If it replicated the OEM design exactly, it might in theory. But your point is that it has a bit different build, not fully compatible with its due functionality?
poly is worse than rubber at deflecting and stretching. It will either fail quicker or put extra stress on all other components, like the control arm or the chassis.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #43
Bolzen
Board Member

Hmm, poly is able to stand up higher loads and compression just by its pure physical properties. It is also chemically more inert.

But i would agree that a bad design can turn odds around, and thus it's important to follow OEM as closely as possible. Of course, poly won't deflect as much which means a harsher ride and possible vibrations, but could it be beneficial for performance and feel of the road?
Old 11-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #44
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Hmm, poly is able to stand up higher loads and compression just by its pure physical properties. It is also chemically more inert.

But i would agree that a bad design can turn odds around, and thus it's important to follow OEM as closely as possible. Of course, poly won't deflect as much which means a harsher ride and possible vibrations, but could it be beneficial for performance and feel of the road?
Compression isn't what kills the volvo rubber bushings and has little bearing on the ride quality. So that is an irrelevant point to bring up as is the fact that they are more inert as those bushings should not be exposed to oil.

Got any other red herrings to throw out?
Old 11-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #45
Bolzen
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
Compression isn't what kills the volvo rubber bushings and has little bearing on the ride quality. So that is an irrelevant point to bring up as is the fact that they are more inert as those bushings should not be exposed to oil.

Got any other red herrings to throw out?
I'm not associated with this company in any way, i just need a good bushing

Between the three - OEM, Poly and Spherical i would choose latter 'cause i trust you. But no body seems to make it. So between OEM and Poly providing it's made 1 to 1 design copy just of different material, i would go for Poly with no hesitation 'cause i trust myself too.

For now i can see the design is a bit different, in attempt to clear things up i requested additional views of the item. But the company deals with various car brands, so not expecting a quick answer here.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:42 PM   #46
kendogg
V8 Guy

With as much movement as that bushing has, poly is going to tear in no time. It's not flexible like that.
kendogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:23 AM   #47
Bolzen
Board Member

You can't be serious now.

[edit] removed redundancy

Last edited by Bolzen; 11-15-2018 at 01:33 AM..
Old 11-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #48
Bolzen
Board Member

Default Business response.

New photos have arrived:

These new bushings look like to be able to withstand tons of load, but the pivotal movement range might be quite a bit shorter. Here is the OEM part for reference.

So now the main question i guess is how it will affect the ride.
--
Apologizing for further hijacking the thread, i would move it to the proper department if i knew how.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #49
Lankku
Board Member

V70II/etc. has smaller front control arm rear bushing and it's solid rubber. Powerflex poly replacement is solid as well. One would think that it has been tested or they wouldn't be selling it? 960/V90 poly at least has some room for movement.

Still I might recommend a stiffer suspension with these to reduce movement. On my cars that's almost mandatory
Lankku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #50
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankku View Post
V70II/etc. has smaller front control arm rear bushing and it's solid rubber. Powerflex poly replacement is solid as well. One would think that it has been tested or they wouldn't be selling it? 960/V90 poly at least has some room for movement.

Still I might recommend a stiffer suspension with these to reduce movement. On my cars that's almost mandatory
devil is in the details, your post lacks all of them.