• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Turbo, **** chinabay

Wilford Brimley

Is posting from the grave
I'm over them.....a few hundred miles in and it's got a ton of shaft play, no good. I'm thinking about getting an hx35 but suggestions? Maybe a better choice? Will be run at 22-25 psi. Looking to spend about 3 bills, mods in sig

HX35 is a fashion statement that doesn't do anything impressive.

S200sx-e if you're open to increasing your budget for something far more fun/functional.

I'm over them.....a few hundred miles in and it's got a ton of shaft play, no good. I'm thinking about getting an hx35 but suggestions? Maybe a better choice? Will be run at 22-25 psi. Looking to spend about 3 bills, mods in sig
Just curious if you hooked up the coolant lines to the China bay? I've had mine for a while with no issues.

You should never buy a chinabay and install... If you go that route, consider what my honda friends do. Buy a cheap ebay turbo in the rough size youre looking for. Then first thing you do is take it to a turbo shop. Have them look over the internals/upgrade if needed and then have them balance the damn thing. Got friends who paid $150 shipped for a t3 turbo off ebay. Then spent $200 for rebuild and balance... $350 turbo that has been pushing 25psi for over 10k and still going strong. Hx35 and hx40's are good options because there are a lot of them and remember theyre off diesel trucks which generally run more boost in stock form than we will generally run boosted out. So you dont have to worry about over spinning the turbo. Borg warner is also always a good option as they have very good engineering and quality control, and the s and sx line turbos are priced very well.

Can I thread jack really quick to ask if there are any current members who are running or have run a GM-5 borg Warner turbo off a 90s 6.5L GM diesel? I got one essentially for free.

I just put a Mitsu Chinabay turbo on my V70. I hope it lasts more than a few hundred miles. I thought they had gotten a lot better than they were a decade ago.

Can I thread jack really quick to ask if there are any current members who are running or have run a GM-5 borg Warner turbo off a 90s 6.5L GM diesel? I got one essentially for free.

IF you choose the 6.5TD turbo go for the GM-8. It was the last iteration (98-99) and had the best flow of the bunch. Really the best setup for the 6.5 was swapping to the Ebay 40HX (I cannot recall the exact PN), and that breathed soooo much better and kept EGTs low low even at 20-22 PSI. I did not have any issue with the Ebay el cheapo 40HX and ran it 2 years daily before selling the truck.

IMO go for the VSRacing setups as mentioned above. The LS guys are running them without any issues at all. Call him up. (Personally I am planning a VS 76mm for the LS swapped 960, which is just trash talk until done - so I'm going back to lurk mode until timeslips.)

$300 on the button and smaller than the 76:
http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=1323

Last edited:
Back