• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

seafoam

i sea foamed my car and it started burning a quart of oil a week afterwards.... not a fan

yeah - its a toss up for sure - sometimes its not a good idea to seafoam a car - because that old rock hard carbon build up is the only thing keeping your motor tightly sealed =P

When I have used it, 1/3 can through vacuum hose and 2/3 can in the fuel tank, I have always had good results. 2-3mpg gain. I do have to agree with the others in regards to getting mixed results. I sell a ton of it at a NAPA and I have heard horror stories when the local dumba@@ hicks get it wrong. But I have never had any negatives from it.

When I have used it, 1/3 can through vacuum hose and 2/3 can in the fuel tank, I have always had good results. 2-3mpg gain. I do have to agree with the others in regards to getting mixed results. I sell a ton of it at a NAPA and I have heard horror stories when the local dumba@@ hicks get it wrong. But I have never had any negatives from it.

Watch what you say about the Hicks family! :)

Every once in awhile I run some SeaFoam through the fuel systems on my cars. I look at it as a cheap cleaner, though I'm not a huge fan.

Running it in your oil is a little dangerous. It might loosen up some gunk, but said gunk could plug up anything from your oil pump screen, to some of the little oil ports.

In my view, regular oil & filter changes, and good fuel, are far better than SeaFoam.

Nothing beats good 'ole routine maintenance, but as cars do get older they do get gunk in them. Once in a while I while start to get a little ratter from the valves and I can feel the engine running a little sluggish. I dump half a bottom in the oil, half in the gas. It clears up the gas lines and injectors, and will knock the gunk loose in the engine. But I only add it if I plan on draining the oil in less than 500 miles, just in case. It is also a good idea to run it through the fuel system if it has been sitting for a while; I use it on my motorcyce's gas every spring.

I find its a good thing to use, if being careful, and as others have said, you might find new leaks. As CerebralAilment said, the gunk might be the only thing keeping your engine tight.

Delo, Rotella, water torture.

This. I just picked up some Delo 15w-40 the other day. I wish it was warmer year round here, I'm hesitant to run that thick of oil in the winter. Come spring time oil change though it's going in.

water torture, which is through the vac line, will do the same as seafoam in the vac line. Costs less though.
In the oil or gas I dunno, have heard too many negs or no results to try it. I've read too many positive things about Auto-RX and would go that way if I was to do anything.

I've thought about trying some of the Auto-RX stuff as well. Problem is, I don't have any cars that have any sludge build-up/sludge problems. :e-shrug:

this is the second post that come with a 2-3 mpg increase. scared to put it in a vac line and water also would clean carbon. That is too over the top for me. I run this this stuff in the gas of my weed eater and lawn mower. It just works for me period.

Not sure how well it cleans engines but Ive used it to soak various injectors, parts, etc in and its GREAT in that regard.

I'm just surprised you guys pay too much money for snake oil that you could home brew.

I'm surprised they buy cheapo gasoline, and try to fix the excess carbon build up with Seafoam. Run Amoco 91 Octane religiously and a can of Chevron FI Cleaner, every other 3000 miles, and/or a can of Ventil Sauber, "blow it out good" on the hiway once in a while and you'll have little need for Seafoam IMO. Especially if + turbo motor.

your thoughts on seafoam.? would you add to oil, fuel or both.? thinking about tossing in a bottle in my 88 240 n/a w/150xxx miles

Make sure your car runs well (tune up), change the oil hot and often, use good gas, and put the HAMMER DOWN on a regular basis. I have used this and similar products in the past with good results, but if you maintain whatever you drive, and actually DRIVE the damn thing you should not need to resort to this stuff. I'm pretty sure in just about every owners manual I have ever read they strongly recommend to not and anything but gas (or diesel) to the fuel tank, and oil in the crankcase.

If you run quality fuel, use synthetic oil, and stay on top of maintenance, you wont need to use seafoam.

Back