• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Using a 1986 760T diff in a 1988 740T. Will this work?

DiverDonny

I blew up my diff in the 740 T estate on the weekend, and have a 760T parts car. Can I use the diff out of this? Otherwise I'm pretty s-c-r-e-w-e-d.

Also if anyone has done it before, did you want to run me through the steps for it please? I'm thinking I'll need to undo shocks, springs, tailshaft, trailing arms and that would be about all that is holding it to the car, right? Minus brakelines, swaybar, and little ancillaries, etc. Thanks!

There'll be no problems with speed sensor/tacho funny business going on? Was just worried about the difference beteen motronic (760) and LH2.2 in the 740

As long as both cars have no ABS you'll be fine. The only variable would be if one car is auto and the other is manual. Final drive ratio could vary in that case . Not too sure on your market but mechanically they will swap without issue.

Thanks mate, I actually have swapped a manual gearbox in and found the final drive incredibly short already so I doubt it could get any worse! haha. Thanks for your input so far though, just curious about the method of removal/replacement is all, as this is my daily and I really don't want to be stuck without it too long.

Back