home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #626
hackster
Board Member

For some reason I cannot get the video to show up.

You internet wizards got any tips?

Sean
hackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #627
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

(click 3 dots at bottom of image on imgur site, select "embed post", copy the text and paste in the turbobricks reply box)

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #628
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

When I was running tires wider and stickier (305/30/18s) I had fully adjustable spherical control arms... never had an issue

bushings could be sus.

Also, id recommend reinforced the mounting holes on the cross member. Ive had those wallow out when you aren't using the knurled volvo bushes.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #629
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post

(click 3 dots at bottom of image on imgur site, select "embed post", copy the text and paste in the turbobricks reply box)
I tried that, wouldnt actually link to the photo but I must have been doing it wrong. Thanks for the help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
When I was running tires wider and stickier (305/30/18s) I had fully adjustable spherical control arms... never had an issue

bushings could be sus.

Also, id recommend reinforced the mounting holes on the cross member. Ive had those wallow out when you aren't using the knurled volvo bushes.
I had wondered about how the stock stuff stayed in place, I forgot that the sleeve portion of that had knurling on it.

This was great advice.

I am going to see how this works and go from there.

When I got over to the passenger side, the nut and bolt were also loose, not as bad as the drivers side but still, not suspension parts tight like it should have been.

I done have any fancy machinery at home but since this isnt a pretty part, it just needed something to allow it to bite into the crossmember I had at it with my hacksaw to give it some teeth.

Performed same treatment on this side, drilled out sleeve to a tight .50" hole, replaced the lower control arm bushings with the superflex black "Race" bushings Used a new .50" bolt, heavy washers, stover nut and lock tite on the bolt.

Took the car out for a quick stroll to see how it was. Most solid the car has felt since its been on the road by a long shot. Curious to see if these stay tight over the weekend if they do I think its problem solved and move on to something else.

Turn one pump showed up last night looks nice, billet pulley is sweet but the pump is not drilled to accept my brackets......so call them and figure out whats up with that.

Now to get some sort of an alignment on the thing before the weekend.

Sean
Old 06-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #630
hackster
Board Member

In search of how to get a little more air for the radiator....I had always liked the front bumper on Jerd's Gold wagon so I got to chopping. Stupid pilot hole drifted a little bit so they are not all where they are supposed to be but a little bit of black paint on the inner structure and you will never see them at least I hope.

Thanks for the idea Jerd.

Power steering pump showed up as well, have not gotten a chance to install yet, might wait until next week.

Beautiful piece though.

Helping the neighbor with a 70 F100 and we needed to cap the lines on the mustang tank sending unit. So a couple small plugs and silicon bronze TIG'd it up last night. Should hold back fuel no problem.

Truck is cool, Coyote, MT82, crown vic, coilovers front, boingers in the rear still but doing cal tracks. I have done most fo the welding and fab work on it. Still gotta do motor mounts and tranny mounts and we can drop the engine and trans in.

I ordered a GPS Speedo cause I am sick of not having my speedometer working. vnet module shipped out but antenna is coming from Texas so its a week out.

I did a string line alignment on it after all the frontened work and for my first try with it I think I did pretty good. Wheel is straight, tracks well both under power and under braking.

SCCA Time Trials this weekend at PIR so hoping the car does well.

As a side note, after building this the last year and now a few months of working the bugs out of it I am getting pretty burned out and I think a break is needed from car stuff for a while.

Happy Friday!!

Sean
Old 06-07-2019, 12:33 PM   #631
M.H. Yount
Board Member

If it’s been removed, adding back the plastic splash shield aids flow across the rad at speed.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #632
Jerd
Board Member

Yay speed holes!
Jerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #633
77volvo245
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
If it’s been removed, adding back the plastic splash shield aids flow across the rad at speed.
They come off at speeds over 110 mph.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #634
t8fanning
8v are still cool, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77volvo245 View Post
Mine has stayed on at 130 mph.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #635
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
shoot, now I have a new thing to worry about. If my aluminum one comes off at 110 it's going to get spicy!
Old 06-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #636
77volvo245
Board Member

We are talking about the small front air dam, not the splash pans
77volvo245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #637
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
We are talking about the small front air dam, not the splash pans
I think Mike Yount was referring to the splash pan?

I guess either way, good to not drive over things unexpectedly at triple digits!
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #638
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Stock air dam and air scoop tray on my car was good to 125mph on numerous occasions...
Old 06-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #639
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

My car made a loud squeal noise from the cowl right at 100. Kind of scared me.
Life begins at 10PSI.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #640
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster View Post
As a side note, after building this the last year and now a few months of working the bugs out of it I am getting pretty burned out and I think a break is needed from car stuff for a while.

Happy Friday!!

Sean

Definitely been there. Happy Friday!
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #641
M.H. Yount
Board Member

The “splash pan” creates an area of low pressure behind/below the radiator which improves draw across the rad at speed. Wasn't talking about the OEM air dam. I use an 850 air dam which is mounted a bit more robustly.

Last edited by M.H. Yount; 06-07-2019 at 07:49 PM..
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #642
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Quote:

Happy Friday!!

Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
I'm there and my car is still a pile of parts. No motivation to fix the daily driver either. Happy Friday!

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #643
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
Mine has stayed on at 130 mph.
Same here
Old 06-07-2019, 09:58 PM   #644
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Mine fell off at about 10mph.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #645
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerd View Post
Yay speed holes!
Haha. Thanks for the idea man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
Happens on occasion doesnt it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
I'm there and my car is still a pile of parts. No motivation to fix the daily driver either. Happy Friday!
Trust me man, I totally hear you I was there about halfway through this build and needed some kicks in the ass to get going again to get it done. Glad its done now with nice weather here.

Well, Here is my short reply. I believe that the rear lower control arm bushing mounting and style are what are causing my weird front alignment. I am going to order or build some different lower control arms that have a real rear control arm mount. I believe that style of bushing is just not compatible with what I have going on.

After last weekend and this weeks repairs I was not really holding my breath that anything was going to work.

Friday after work I spent a little time going over some items, chatted with Racepak. Their tech support is not educated on anything with these dashes though. Is all he did was open the manual and read it line for line. Anything technical he had no idea how to do it or how it operated.

The bottom line is that you cannot manually program in any parameters for the speedometer (according to Racepak) and the only way to get the speedometer to work is to go through their auto calculation procedure. Seems rediculous to me.

So I go out, do their procedure and sure as **** I have a working speedometer!!!

I was pretty stoked. Get the car loaded up in the trailer for Saturday morning SCCA Time Trials at PIR with my buddy Kevin and his S10.

Got to the track, ran through Tech, no problems, registration, transponders and what not.

We got 2 20 minute practice sessions in the morning and 2 timed sessions in the afternoon.

Unfortunately my fastest lap was a 1:31.2 in practice and seemed to get slower as the weekend went on. They lined us up in our run groups by previous fast lap, Kevin and I were in the front 3 or 4 spots all weekend long so we got 4 or 5 good hot laps in before we caught lap traffic, me in front a couple times, him in front a couple, we had a blast chasing each other around and surprised more than a few people in our run group.

In impound after our session for a debrief. It was a great rundown of what happened in our sessions, what worked, what didn't and so on.

I chased Kevin all weekend but he was just faster than me and I had to settle for 2nd place out of 2 cars in our class of MAX 1. Either way though we had an awesome time.

After our first session, the steering wheel went to about 10 degrees to the right and stayed there all weekend, made a little adjustment and said f it and ran it. None of the hardware came loose. I paint marked all hardware before we left and nothing moved at all so that was good.

Only issue I had all weekend was that and the panhard bar came loose on my second to last session, going to need to add that to the list of things to check after every run. Got a little blip of low oil pressure on Saturday, was a little low so added in some oil and ran all day sinday without a problem. Reading up on it, Holley in very small print says to run an extra half quart if you are going to track their oil pans.....good to know. so its a 6.5 quart system now

Beautiful weekend for some racing!!

Car did awesome, figured out tires are much happier with 36 lbs in them than the 32 I started with. Rear end is happier softer than stiffer.

Driver needs to be more aggressive and I need some more power!!! Ill be ordering a cam and pulley soon.

I was able to hit 130 on the back straight away though, so its no slouch.

Thank you SCCA for putting on such an awesome event this weekend, I had a blast, met some new very helpful people and took home some awards. There is a long story behind the spirit of time trials trophy, but it really comes down to just being there for people when they need a hand, remember life is short, enjoy it and lend a hand when you can.

Kevins Truck is a bad machine, much more than meets the eye and it rips.

More to come soon.

Sean
Old 06-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #646
Jerd
Board Member

Getting it dialed! Cant wait to see your control arm solution. Lots of inspiration in this thread, and it just keeps getting better. Thanks for sharing man!
Jerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:48 AM   #647
yugo4life
Board Member

The thing I love most about your car is that you built it to use. Too many cars (not necessarily in the volvo community) that have the same amount of extensive modification and devotion to detail as yours are built just to go to shows and fill an Instagram account. While yours is definitely nice enough for that, considering it has already been featured, you seem to have no qualms about pushing it at the track or putting real miles on it. I love how it is so perfect in some ways, but yet it still has scuffs on the bumper to show that it is a drivers car. Great work!
Old 06-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #648
andyb5
Board Member

http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/06/...machines-more/

Not sure if you saw this article, but Speedhunters ran a few photos of your car!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #649
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugo4life View Post
The thing I love most about your car is that you built it to use. Too many cars (not necessarily in the volvo community) that have the same amount of extensive modification and devotion to detail as yours are built just to go to shows and fill an Instagram account. While yours is definitely nice enough for that, considering it has already been featured, you seem to have no qualms about pushing it at the track or putting real miles on it. I love how it is so perfect in some ways, but yet it still has scuffs on the bumper to show that it is a drivers car. Great work!
Thanks Yugo. I dont do the sitting around thing well at all. Even at some of the track days we go to I get a little bored. Ill hit a car show every once in a while but only if I have a bunch of buddies going to hang out with. Totally a drivers car at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerd View Post
Getting it dialed! Cant wait to see your control arm solution. Lots of inspiration in this thread, and it just keeps getting better. Thanks for sharing man!
Thanks, still trying to figure out if I am just going to order arms or build something off the stock volvo stuff. I am a little suprised that others have not had the same issues with the lower control arm bushings, the Volvo design seems ok, but the aftermarket push in bushings into the sleeve just seems like a terrible design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb5 View Post
http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/06/...machines-more/

Not sure if you saw this article, but Speedhunters ran a few photos of your car!
I did, but thanks for posting it up. Was pretty awesome to see my old **** box grace their page. Never know who is just around the corner.......I had no idea that these pics were even taken until this popped up.

Not much to report here.

Still brainstorming on the front suspension situation.

I did however manage to get the racepak 100% functional for the first time last night. Went through and programmed in all of the gears so that the gear indicator on the dash works. I am shocked at how well it works too considering its going off of mph and rpm. Pretty cool though.

No more track days or autocross planned for a bit now. Going to dig into the lower control arms and see what I can come up with there first.

Probably going to dive into a stereo in the next few weeks though, headphones are getting old.

Sean
Old 06-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #650
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Thanks Yugo. I dont do the sitting around thing well at all. Even at some of the track days we go to I get a little bored. Ill hit a car show every once in a while but only if I have a bunch of buddies going to hang out with. Totally a drivers car at this point.

Thanks, still trying to figure out if I am just going to order arms or build something off the stock volvo stuff. I am a little suprised that others have not had the same issues with the lower control arm bushings, the Volvo design seems ok, but the aftermarket push in bushings into the sleeve just seems like a terrible design.

I did, but thanks for posting it up. Was pretty awesome to see my old **** box grace their page. Never know who is just around the corner.......I had no idea that these pics were even taken until this popped up.

Not much to report here.

Still brainstorming on the front suspension situation.

I did however manage to get the racepak 100% functional for the first time last night. Went through and programmed in all of the gears so that the gear indicator on the dash works. I am shocked at how well it works too considering its going off of mph and rpm. Pretty cool though.

No more track days or autocross planned for a bit now. Going to dig into the lower control arms and see what I can come up with there first.

Probably going to dive into a stereo in the next few weeks though, headphones are getting old.

Sean
I might have components left over from my old front control arm design, they would need to be welded together but its pretty straight forward as long as you can weld 1/8" 4130 safely.
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote