home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-04-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
240sleeper
Board Member

Default adjustable cam gear

im looking into cam gears and was wondering what others prefer and your experience with them. ill be using a square tooth gear. first I know there are some cam gears that have wear issues. im guessing most of these are out of circulation at this point, but if theres a few kicking around id like to know what to look for to identify these. second, im wondering about the method of adjustment. I don't see myself adjusting the cam more than once or twice (to get the best performance) and then leaving it . would there be any other benefit of a slotted cam gear besides ease of adjustment? id also think it would add a certain level of risk if the slotted gear loosened for whatever reason. as well I will probably be keeping the stock cam cover so id assume a drilled cam gear would fit underneath easier than a slotted (maybe not). any other input appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
If you aren't for us, you're against us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
If you're against us, you're one of us

Last edited by 240sleeper; 07-04-2018 at 08:25 AM..
240sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
dl242gt
Can play the blues

It's whatever you prefer really. The drilled gear is less machine work compared to the slotted gear so are generally a bit less money. I have an early iPD adjustable gear on my turbo which is slotted and a drilled gear from Dale on my 93 wagon. They have both worked fine for me and the bolts loosening and coming apart on a slotted gear would be if you forget to tighten them.

If I was buying a gear now I would say I prefer the slotted one for the ease of adjustment and it should still fit under the stock timing cover. My old IPD one does.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:15 AM   #3
240sleeper
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
It's whatever you prefer really. The drilled gear is less machine work compared to the slotted gear so are generally a bit less money. I have an early iPD adjustable gear on my turbo which is slotted and a drilled gear from Dale on my 93 wagon. They have both worked fine for me and the bolts loosening and coming apart on a slotted gear would be if you forget to tighten them.

If I was buying a gear now I would say I prefer the slotted one for the ease of adjustment and it should still fit under the stock timing cover. My old IPD one does.
thanks for the input
240sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote