• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Steps for pulling an AW71

Tore a page out of pat's playbook and used a similar approach with two wheels, a bench seat cushion, and a truck tailgate plastic liner.

get the OEM RMS. accum mod, hose the filter off with brake cleaner, and call it a day. pan gasket needs to be rubber if you're replacing it.

Is there a tail shaft seal to replace?

It took us 4 hours with a lot of lolly gagging and mistakes made. Hell it was our first time and we didn't have a jack. I bet we can take my old one out and put the new one in inside of 4 hours now though.

there's a seal back there yes, but if it's not leaking I wouldn't mess with it. maybe replace the converter/pump seal, but again, if the trans was more or less dry I wouldn't fool with that stuff

Is there a tail shaft seal to replace?

Like Kenny said if it's dry don't worry about it. But if it looks at all questionable or if the tailshaft has any radial play to it, I'd recommend doing it first. The play just accelerates the demise of the seal and while it's not that difficult of a job to replace, it's kind of a pain in the dick to do laying under the car with minimal hand space in the trans tunnel (the gasket takes quite a bit of effort to scrape off).

? For you...what self serve junkyard did you go to that Didnt Puncture the pan to drain the fluid out b4 setting out in the yard?...Make sure pan isnt Holy

I find it easier to just undo the flexplate bolts under the car, sawzall the driveshaft, dump the rear cross member and yank the engine/transmission as a unit from the top. It makes getting to the bellhousing bolts much easier and I don't have to drop the tranny on top of myself and then wrassle it out from under the car. The damned dipstick tube ALWAYS seems to get caught up.

A set of those razor scissors/cutters things from Sears cuts through all manner of wiring harnesses and hoses. About all that is left is disconnecting the throttle/kickdown cables.

handCut_01.jpg

So for reinstallation, the torque converter has to be seated correctly about 1/2" from the bell housing face. But can you screw up the orientation of the TC besides putting it in backwards? Also read I need to make sure the flywheel is reinstalled in the same orientation I removed it.

Yes, the flexplate needs to be oriented. With the #1 cylinder at TDC, you should just see the blank place in the teeth peeking through.

93940turbo_motor_54.jpg

No, the TC doesn't have to be oriented a certain way vis-?-vis the flexplate.

Back