• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

To buy or not to buy

Awaffa2003

Hey all, still putzing around with BonJovi, my 83 245 project, but I've reached a point where I feel as though I'm throwing good money after bad. Rust is my main concern as the rocker panels are so bad and it's spread to the frame, the floor pans. I don't feel safe jacking it up anymore. In any case, the motor is low mileage (sub 90k) and that's initially why I picked it up, hoping for the best.

Now I've been looking for parts cars for the longest and the lot of 3 240 wagons that I found have been lowered in price due to my holding out on this guy. He wants $200 a piece. They are rusted out beyond repair themselves, but at this price point, would the drivetrains be worth that much? In them, there's 2 B230s with auto transmissions and either a B23 or B21 with the 4 speed manual. Plus all the glass is good, dashboards are decent as is some interior parts and throw in any other components I could salvage (shocks, springs, differentials, drive shafts, etc.) Would it all be worth it for $600 plus the cost of transport? Then I'd have to mess with scrapping the shells after I strip them... honestly it sounds exhausting, but...worth it? Opinions please.

If you're serious about doing one good build. Find a rust free car or that has very minimal rust that can be easily repaired. The one you already have needs to be retired. In my opinion, it's worth the transport cost of buying something that is worth building.

At $14.99 shipped it's going to be a long road to get your money back let alone turn any profit.

Gladiator.gif

Motors and transmissions for our beloveds aren't worth it? I thought at the very least I'd have some spare engine goodies to work with.
Suppose if I want that then I can pull my motor and is it as such, scrap the rest and buy a better 240. Damn...

OP:

Forget your rust bucket, it's hopeless.

You need to get a rust free west coast car.

Check on craigslist for older wagons for sale in various western cities such as Portland, Oregon.

If you find one you like make a small deposit on it for the seller to hold it for a few days, then you fly out, buy it, and drive it home.

Of course, if you can't afford to buy a car in decent shape and pay for a one way ticket, well then, I leave you to your own devices.

Just remember: "GIGO" (garbage in, garbage out)

Last edited:
Motors and transmissions for our beloveds aren't worth it?

#1 Worth sitting on the side of the house listed in For Sale for free, then when nobody comes to pick it up give the tweeker metal scrounge guy the green light if he hasn't already spotted it and stolen it.

I thought at the very least I'd have some spare engine goodies to work with.

#2 Could be if you could find a good shell on the rust coast.

Suppose if I want that then I can pull my motor and is it as such, scrap the rest and buy a better 240. Damn...

See #1 above.

Find a solid shell or something cheap with a blown engine, build one good car, scrap the rest.

:uh:

The engine isn't usually the problem, and when they do go the cars are usually scrapped immediately as they're not worth the ~$2K you'd have to pay an indie shop to put another one in.

The best thing about the SE cars, all factory spotwelds are visible and rest free. Do the due diligence and drive home a later 245, throw away all your plastic and interior away as it will be fried from decades in the sun. Rust never sleeps.......

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/245-volvos/6689886636.html

$950 for both (not mine). Another grand in transportation costs and you are blessed with a pair of (likely) rust free running vehicles. Pull the good stuff from your current car and scrap it.

Realistically, you will never find anything like these out where you are at. If you really want to stay Volvo and NOT have to deal with major rust rehab, get something from Wa or Or (Cali is too expensive) and ship it out.

Back