home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 11:27 PM   #1
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default looks like Amazon - 51 Ford Fire

Ever since I was 12 I wanted a shoebox Ford. Few months ago I came across a 1951 business coupe. It was in the Camp Fire and on the news (I need to find the video of it)
turns out the owner has a rolling 4 door chassis, no engine or front end but not burned. Said I can have both for $400 or work on his Amazon

plan - leave the outside as is - straightening out the various dents. 49 chassis, everything on the inside redone. Probably a 5.0 with T5 - I haz t5 already


tires burned off along with anything softer than steel.




Suspension collapsed so putting the wheels on was a challenge


dragged it out because the tree guys were coming


tree guys left me room to pull it out I had to move that pile


left a note so it wouldnt be crushed


All the chrome was redone prior to the fire


getting it on a trailer




Amazon escort


new home for now


today I took off the front clip and almost all the body mounts.
__________________
85 245 | 82 242| 75 245| 69 145 |66 122



Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.

Last edited by Jack; 05-04-2019 at 11:42 PM..
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:30 PM   #2
Cwazywazy
Single jingle
 
Cwazywazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Granby CT
Default

__________________
I don't know what I have
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:54 PM   #3
sksmith
Board Member
 
sksmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Back in St. Louis, MO
Default

Please tell me that you aren't going to leave it burnt.
Satin black with flames!!!
A 5.0 / T5 will be awesome in that car. Mustang rack & pinion & 9" rear would be perfect for it.
Steve
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:57 PM   #4
NotSoFresh
Sick ****** T-Brick Prick
 
NotSoFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: gangcouver
Default

I would skip the 5.0 and aquire a ford barra inline 6 cylinder from austrailia and give it tons of boost.
Be different. Dont just stuff in an old mustang setup.
NotSoFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:00 AM   #5
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

Cwazywazy



Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmith View Post
Please tell me that you aren't going to leave it burnt.
Satin black with flames!!!
A 5.0 / T5 will be awesome in that car. Mustang rack & pinion & 9" rear would be perfect for it.
Steve
yes I am going to leave it burned outside - clear every 3-4 years or linseed oil every 6 months
no flames - I'm not 65+
not chopping it

mustang rack and pinion is hard to install on these. Volvo 140 box is an actual upgrade people use

disc conversion can be done with off the shelf parts and custom bracket for cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoFresh View Post
I would skip the 5.0 and aquire a ford barra inline 6 cylinder from austrailia and give it tons of boost.
Be different. Dont just stuff in an old mustang setup.
Im sure thats cool as FUk but I aint going to spend $$$$$ more than I need to. Flathead V8s sound good but are also $$$$
I have BMW M3 engines and MBZ cosworth 16V but ehh thats too weird

5.0 because its cheap and lots of used performance parts can also be picked up for cheap

Last edited by Jack; 05-05-2019 at 12:12 AM..
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:05 AM   #6
NotSoFresh
Sick ****** T-Brick Prick
 
NotSoFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: gangcouver
Default

https://www.v6mustang.com/threads/fi...ppened.280425/
NotSoFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:24 AM   #7
sksmith
Board Member
 
sksmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Back in St. Louis, MO
Default

Hey, I'm only 54 & like flames!!
Interesting that the Volvo box is the box of choice. Another reason for the lack of 140's (in to OT thread), the shoebox guys stealing the steering boxes & trashing the rest of the car. I figured since they make Mustang R&P kits for just about everything else, they did for these as well.
You can't beat a SBF in that car, that will run! I don't know if you have any way of getting a late (I think 01 thru 04) 4.6L out of a Mustang GT or a truck. I will tell you I owned an 02 GT from new until I sold it to my nephew a few years ago, and only had a PCV hose break. And so far, he's had to do no repairs. Damn good engine. But they are a lot wider than a small block.
Steve
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:38 AM   #8
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoFresh View Post
It’s cool but not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmith View Post
Hey, I'm only 54 & like flames!!
Interesting that the Volvo box is the box of choice. Another reason for the lack of 140's (in to OT thread), the shoebox guys stealing the steering boxes & trashing the rest of the car. I figured since they make Mustang R&P kits for just about everything else, they did for these as well.
You can't beat a SBF in that car, that will run! I don't know if you have any way of getting a late (I think 01 thru 04) 4.6L out of a Mustang GT or a truck. I will tell you I owned an 02 GT from new until I sold it to my nephew a few years ago, and only had a PCV hose break. And so far, he's had to do no repairs. Damn good engine. But they are a lot wider than a small block.
Steve
Yup ford guys have been scavenging those boxes for YEARS. Can probably make the amazon box work also
Popular thing is to put an s10 frame under ... super close in all dimensions but I don’t want to do that. Maybe a Pather front frame.
65 mustang gas tanks are cheap and also fit easily but I have a fuel cell

4.6 are nice and plentiful around here also
96+ explorer 5.0 (something like that) haz gt heads stock
I have some 850 edelbrock carbs already

Idk flames aren’t my thing. If I start to paint the outside I think part of its story will be lost.
I like how it looks now. Gaskets and small items are pretty cheap for these
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:25 AM   #9
sksmith
Board Member
 
sksmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Back in St. Louis, MO
Default

I've always liked these. I remember having a model of one as a kid.
That's going to make a nice project, I get the deal with keeping it like it is.
Keep us posted on the progress.
Steve
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:23 AM   #10
kimove
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Norway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Cwazywazy





yes I am going to leave it burned outside - clear every 3-4 years or linseed oil every 6 months
no flames - I'm not 65+
not chopping it

mustang rack and pinion is hard to install on these. Volvo 140 box is an actual upgrade people use

disc conversion can be done with off the shelf parts and custom bracket for cheap


Im sure thats cool as FUk but I aint going to spend $$$$$ more than I need to. Flathead V8s sound good but are also $$$$
I have BMW M3 engines and MBZ cosworth 16V but ehh thats too weird

5.0 because its cheap and lots of used performance parts can also be picked up for cheap
I vote for a boosted BMW M3 engine
Or a T5 whiteblock
The swedes gets them to be reliable even on a lot of power
__________________
Aerodynamics is for people who cant build engines
kimove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #11
cosbySweater
Board Member
 
cosbySweater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monterey/Falun
Default

Nice! I'm working on one of those now. My buddy bought a explorer with a 5.0 and we are swapping the whole drivetrain in it. Cool cars for sure
__________________
1979 Volvo 244DL 6.0/4l80e,8.8,Ms3x goldbox ecu and Mircrosquirt tcu, GTX4202r, 228/230cam, tbss intake, 11.4@123mph 9psi
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura. 3sge Beams, j160 6speed, full aje suspension and tubular arms everywhere
1995 Porsche 993
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #12
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimove View Post
I vote for a boosted BMW M3 engine
Or a T5 whiteblock
The swedes gets them to be reliable even on a lot of power
e46 M3 engine trans will one day go into my 242
i still have a 97 M3 engine but V8s sounds so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
Nice! I'm working on one of those now. My buddy bought a explorer with a 5.0 and we are swapping the whole drivetrain in it. Cool cars for sure
got a line on a modified 5.0 and small block chevy this week. both should be cheap cheap

i'll have body left over from the 4 door if you need anything

Last edited by Jack; 05-09-2019 at 06:44 PM..
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.