home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #101
R32RennSport
Board Member

Excellent David. This project is really shaping up nicely! I wish I could find time to get out to the garage and continue on with my Amazon, this definitely is motivation!

1966 Volvo Amazon, 2004 VW R32 Golf, 2001 BMW 525it Sport, 2001 Chevy 1500
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #102
evolvo67
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewrench View Post
Thanks, after a lot of planning the bar is coming along OK.

Yes, he is a talented and very clever man!

I'm also a fabricator and engine and general machinest so I do things a bit differently with what I have at hand. I use large dia. ball-ended roughing mills and multiple-tooth end mills with inserts in a large vertical milling machine w/a tilting vice and can cut an end quickly.

The blade teeth in a HD vertical band saw work well for other the other shaping needed while holding the tube by hand and swinging it back and forth on the saw table, almost works like an aggressive file. Finish off by chamfering the OD of the end on a large floor pedestal mounted horizontal grinder.

Can finish off a joint this way quickly. The welding is by a mig which can be done much faster with a somewhat different finished look with about the same strength as when using a heli-arc.

The tubing is 1.750 DOM .093 mild steel.
I'm a fabricator, too! I used to build bike frames and mitered on a mill with hole saws, but those tubes are much thinner and lighter than roll cage tubing. I'm gathering material to build a tube frame RWD mid engine Karmann Ghia so I'm moving up on tubing specs. I have a Bridgeport and I'm shopping for a lathe. I think mitering on a lathe might be the way to go, lots of U tube on that, but would like to see some pics of your mill set up, if you have the time. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #103
vintagewrench
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo67 View Post
I'm a fabricator, too! I used to build bike frames and mitered on a mill with hole saws, but those tubes are much thinner and lighter than roll cage tubing. I'm gathering material to build a tube frame RWD mid engine Karmann Ghia so I'm moving up on tubing specs. I have a Bridgeport and I'm shopping for a lathe. I think mitering on a lathe might be the way to go, lots of U tube on that, but would like to see some pics of your mill set up, if you have the time. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for your interest, the set up has all been taken down for now after finishing all of the tubes, but I use a vice similar to this one: https://www.travers.com/super-precis...vises/p/36138/

Last edited by vintagewrench; 11-19-2018 at 05:08 PM..
vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #104
vintagewrench
Board Member

The OD needs a rebuild this winter and an old, but unused IPD upgrade kit for the D-type was obtained from NorthNH. It consists of heavier clutch springs, a new oil pump relief spring that needs to be shimmed by .060" and instructions to drill out the "operating oil relief valve hole" to .070 and use 80 weight oil. Although using the thick oil and producing a higher oil pressure with the pump will drain more power when the OD is engaged.

The engine is a 115 hp B18B, and the VSCCA rules prohibit using a B20 or boring or stroking it. When it is modified it is unlikely it will produce any more than the 150 hp which is the maximum limit reported that an M40 transmission can handle.

Would like to hear from anyone that has used this combination in hard use about how well it held up for them or any other recommendations that will help it to survive. Also looking for a source for higher friction competition OD clutch linings. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by vintagewrench; 11-19-2018 at 05:10 PM..
vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #105
evolvo67
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewrench View Post
Thanks for your interest, the set up has all been taken down for now after finishing all of the tubes, but I use a vice similar to this one: https://www.travers.com/super-precis...vises/p/36138/
Nice setup, nice vise, those Wiltons must be made out of gold!!
evolvo67 is offline   Reply With Quote