• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

83 242 V8 LQ4 swap

Thomas,

Thanks for letting Steve and I check out your 242 today in person...great work, I hope my own ride can come out half as nice as yours....!!

Car sounds awesome, and that motor looks like it could have been installed from the factory in there !!!

Nice shop as well...thanks again

Mike

My name is actually Jeff, probably got me confused with my friend Thomas. He is the guy who's dad I did the wrx 914 for. He also owns volvo's and a subaru powered bug.

It was great talking to you guys, hopefully next time it will be fully road worthy and we can go for death rides:-D

My name is actually Jeff, probably got me confused with my friend Thomas. He is the guy who's dad I did the wrx 914 for. He also owns volvo's and a subaru powered bug.

It was great talking to you guys, hopefully next time it will be fully road worthy and we can go for death rides:-D

Opps...sorry about that...bad with names and I saw his name on this thread... :oops:

Beat me to it!

Thanks Jeff, like Mueller said - it was fun. Can't wait to take a ride in your beast.
Steve
Thomas,

Thanks for letting Steve and I check out your 242 today in person...great work, I hope my own ride can come out half as nice as yours....!!

Car sounds awesome, and that motor looks like it could have been installed from the factory in there !!!

Mike

Thomas,

Mike

This the long missing 914Club Mike Mueller? From back in the time of Howard, Mike Zois, Brad, Trekkor, all the others who've disappeared? Has to be, so Hi, Mike, long time no see. I'm Thomas' father, and Jeff put the WRX into my 914, which then moved to Houston. He does great work, doesn't he? Nothing more impressive than a mad imagination with skills that can keep up.

Wow. I have to ask myself how I missed this build. Just briefed myself on the project....great build, and quality craftsmanship.

Thats him, and I am one of the 'lost' ones as well

In the 914 world I'm Porscharu - the flange guy. How is the 914 these days. Sorry I didn't make it over the hill to see your 914 before it went home.
Steve
This the long missing 914Club Mike Mueller? From back in the time of Howard, Mike Zois, Brad, Trekkor, all the others who've disappeared? Has to be, so Hi, Mike, long time no see. I'm Thomas' father, and Jeff put the WRX into my 914, which then moved to Houston. He does great work, doesn't he? Nothing more impressive than a mad imagination with skills that can keep up.

In the 914 world I'm Porscharu - the flange guy. How is the 914 these days. Sorry I didn't make it over the hill to see your 914 before it went home.
Steve

Cool. You, Mike and Jeff, you know three qualifies it as a conspiracy, right? So you found the secret 40-Thirteen shop. Impressive work, no? Did Jeff tell you about his neighbor's carbureted/nitrous Subaru/Bug? If not you need to ask, really.

The 914 is good, worn out one set of Falken Azenis so far. We left the outer 914 CV's in it as a driveline fuse and now waiting on new CV's from Eric Shea to replace the third set we've broken. So we're blowing lots of fuses but not those flanges. Easily the most fun I've ever had in a car. Ridiculous, in fact. That Volvo's a little scary though, hope Jeff never feels the need to turbo it.

Glad to hear the 914 is still going strong and thanks for the good words!

I have been able to put a few miles on the Volvo the past week and the tune is getting pretty close. It's pretty quick but is definitely going to need some more power. I think the turbo 400 and cheap converter are sucking up a ton of power but i'm just going to have to counter that with forced induction. I even managed to run it out of gas, 4 gallons didn't last many full throttle pulls.... Also going to have to weld in a taller drive shaft tunnel. It's a 3.5" shaft and its rubbing pretty good over big bumps and I still want the car to be lower.

Thomas is going to come help me buff it out this weekend so hopefully I will get some good pics. Overall i'm pretty happy with it and nothing has broke yet so that's a good sign.

Thomas came over today and started making it look presentable. I'm still amazed how good it came out. Volvo must have used some good paint because it came back to life like a champ. Even the rattle canned fender shined right up! The shiny primer is growing on me, I still want to paint it someday but this will definitely keep me satisfied for a good while. I'm still only in this car 3800 clams so I think i'm doing pretty good. Hopefully I can get to the track pretty soon, feels like it should go 12's pretty easily. The goal is to get into the tens on the stock block, just cam,springs, and turbo. Just going to have to wait until tax returns before I can get a snail for it.

Proof that you can polish a turd!!

035.jpg

039.jpg

046-Copy.jpg

057.jpg

054.jpg

043.jpg

061.jpg

062.jpg

065.jpg

070.jpg

072.jpg

I got to ride in the car this weekend and HOLY SHEEEEIT! Because of the stall converter, the sound of the engine, and the ratchet shifter, it felt like being in a big Camaro or Chevelle drag car. Not to mention, it can roll the tires in 2nd gear all the way down the block! haha

The look on people's faces in traffic, when they are looking around for the V8 hot rod and then realize that this noise is coming from the Volvo, is priceless. Can't wait to see this beast go down the strip with a set of slicks bolted to it!!

Question about clearance between the steering shaft

and the exhaust manifold. I remember it was a very tight fit on your car. Could you point out where the shaft was almost touching the manifold?

volvo2001.jpg

Do you think these might fit better? They fit very close to the block as well as being more 'rear swept' than the Vette manifolds.
DSCN0585-1.jpg

These are brand new and will be for sale early next year. No idea on $$$ at this time.

Yep, that's the way they are. Must be some reason for it. Odd thing is you can flip them upside down and swap sides drivers side to pass side as well.

Thx for edumacation.

Now this thread has got me thinking. I've been planning pulling the Ford lump out of mine and putting an LS3 in it. And I got to thinking about the torque tube, transaxle, etc.

Volvo 240 wheelbase = 104.3" -- and we all know the rear tire could sit a tiny bit further back in the wheel well
Corvette C5 wheelbase = 104.5"

Hmmm.....

Back