• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vancity Volvos

I had a 1997 Volvo 960 before. Overheated on the highway, and got it towed to Ed Schram Motors. He said my water pump was done, so I told him ok no problem fix it. I went to pick it up, go inside and pay the $400 for the job.

Go out to the car, turn it on. Car is violently shaking, engine light on so I shut it down right away. Go back inside and he seemed surprised, they brought the car in and told me my head gasket was gone and its $1900 to fix. I was pretty pissed off, I told him you charge me $400 for the waterpump and labour when you knew the head gasket was gone. There is no way they didn't know yet he charges me and doesnt mention it at all.

Told him dont touch the car and Im towing it the **** away from here. Never would go back.

STUFF happens, man. I messed up the other day and recommended a radiator and upper hose to a gal on a 2008 Scubaru and she retorted with "I already have done the radiator, like, 4 times!" and we realized that external headgasket leak was probably INTERNAL too and blowing out the cooling system.

Pressure test with handpump might, or might not, exhibit the pressure loss.

I have also fixed one coolant leak and then after that another springs up due to being overstressed from the previous leak/overheat.

I see both sides of story here, but not enough info to really say much more.

960's DO POP HEADGASKETS!!! Be prepared for an entire cooling system shakedown afterward. They also crack and warp heads!

Wish I saw that 242 lost above earlier. I could have used another good shell for the collection. Too late now though.

Jordan

STUFF happens, man.

Sure, everyone makes mistakes sometimes. That's life.

On the other hand, you can take your car to one shop for a pinion
bearing job, and they will use the correct tools and procedures.
Take it to a different shop and they pound the new races into the
housing with an old dull center punch, and drive it around the
block once to see if it makes noise.

There is incompetence out there.

Never mind the actual criminals out to downright rip you off.

That said, I've never even been to Schram's, and I have no
comment on the quality of the shop or the employees. I have heard
that they really hate that Jason guy though.

I prefer to screw my own car up all by myself.

I prefer to screw my own car up all by myself.

When I was seventeen, I took my car to a shop for a tuneup and found that it ran considerably worse when I got it back. At that point I said "Why should I pay good money for someone to f*ck my car up, when I could f*ck it up myself for free?"

Been f*cking it up ever since. :oops:

M.

On the other hand, you can take your car to one shop for a pinion
bearing job, and they will use the correct tools and procedures.
Take it to a different shop and they pound the new races into the
housing with an old dull center punch, and drive it around the
block once to see if it makes noise.

Hahaha. "Hey! I heard that" ^^^^

Which is the "right" tool for the job is commonly debated. I argue all the time with people about which tool is the "right" one.

Me: "Hey bossman, I need THIS tool!"

He: "Just use THIS"

Me: "NO! I need a ____"

He: "Well we don't have a deschraminator. Use the osmosilatifier intead"

Me: "I don't wanna use a omosicfilater, but I guess will use this flathead and minisledge instead.......FU...K!!!! I just smashed my finger! grrrrrrrmotherfer! I'm going to lunch!"

Which is the "right" tool for the job is commonly debated. I argue all the time with people about which tool is the "right" one.

Indeed, you certainly seem to favor certain tools.

I don't think there are many jobs where there is one and only one
correct way to do something, except perhaps in aviation.

It is possible to use creativity to find alternatives to "Volvo
special tools", the homebrew TAB tool is a fine example of
something almost anyone with some basic tools can make.

I myself really enjoy solving these types of problems:
16v_Valve_Spring_Compressor.jpg

Bent_Wrench_CHT.jpg

Then again, there are plenty of "wrong" ways to do just about any
job, and certain specs that should always be checked.

It is all too tempting to cut corners while on the clock, and
creativity takes time.

When I screw up my own car, I at least know what I did, have an
opportunity to learn and grow, and don't have to pay someone else
and then feel bitter about the experience.

He: "Well we don't have a deschraminator. Use the osmosilatifier intead"

Me: "I don't wanna use a omosicfilater, but I guess will use this flathead and minisledge instead.......FU...K!!!! I just smashed my finger! grrrrrrrmotherfer! I'm going to lunch!"

:rofl::rofl::rofl: #deschaminator

As someone in the industry, I do see a fair number of customers that had previously gone to other, uh, more creative places. "Creative" usually in a negative sense. :roll:

So I need my new poly bushings pressed into a set of control arms. Which shop would the vancity volvo thread recommend?

Also, have some parts to give away:

1 hood blanket for coffin hood, from a 83 240 turbo. Good shape. No clips though.
1 240 seat frame. Lumbar support good. No foam.
1 pair of front hubs. These don't fit on my 92 so I am assuming they are for an early 240.
1 Haynes manual for a 940, UK version

Last edited:
So I need my new poly bushings pressed into a set of control arms. Which shop would the vancity volvo thread recommend?

Also, have some parts to give away:

1 hood blanket for coffin hood, from a 83 240 turbo. Good shape. No clips though.
1 240 seat frame. Lumbar support good. No foam.
1 pair of front hubs. These don't fit on my 92 so I am assuming they are for an early 240.
1 Haynes manual for a 940, UK version
Might take you up on that Haynes manual!

As for pressing in bushings, I think many shops can do it. Maybe just call around locally? And isn't Scandia in your hood?

The manual is yours.

As for the bushings, I still need to run down to Sumas and grab them. I'll probably try Scandia or the VolvoLady, whichever one gives me less grief about customer supplied parts. :roll:

Back