home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 05-15-2022, 01:55 AM   #1
stev
Board Member

Default Rebuild or replace power steering pump

So I am rearranging my accessory pullies on my B230 and I am changing from the 92+ integrated pump style to the 85-91 separate pump and reservoir style. I haven't bought the pump yet but I am not sure whether I should just buy a junkyard pump or buy new. I can't find any rebuild kits for the pump but I don't want to buy a whole new pump if it's going to be the same as a rebuilt junkyard one. Or do they just not go bad?
stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:54 AM   #2
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

You'd need a 1985-90 pump. 1991 cars had the integral reservoir pump. I'm assuming you're going to the late 940 regina fuel system B230 accessory layout with the alternator and AC compressor on the distributor side of the block and the PS pump near the oil filter? If so, it might just be easier to get the parts from a 700 or 900 series car with a B230 engine. You'll need to rebend the lines where they mate to the rack, since the 7/9 series cars have the rack under the crossmember, instead of in front of it.

1982 242Ti - black, B23FT/M46 combo.
@john242ti on IG
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:28 AM   #3
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Not the cheapest option but I went this route to replace my Saginaw slinger

https://www.tuffstuffperformance.com...universal.html

I needed a pulley some brackets and machined shims but it does work but I was adapting it to work with my B21 accessory bracket so it will probably be easier to adapt it to a B230 accessory bracket.

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showp...&postcount=111

2019 VW Golf R w 6 Speed w 7220 kms NEW DD

@smoothdurban on IG
smoothdurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:40 PM   #4
stev
Board Member

How is that pump compared to the older used style pumps? I?m just going to go buy a pump off a junkyard car that isn?t leaking if it isn?t worth buying a new one.
stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:31 PM   #5
VB242
I.M. Weasel

I bought the guts to a Saginaw at advanced auto I believe for about $65.00
Old 05-19-2022, 03:04 AM   #6
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
I bought the guts to a Saginaw at advanced auto I believe for about $65.00
I think I was three or four remanufactured Saginaw pumps deep from advanced before I went the GM type II style pump. They didn?t leak but for some reason the axial movement of the drive shaft in those things were quite excessive and the noise those pumps made drove me nuts.

A good used one is a viable option. That is what I did on my winter beater 245 and it lasted a couple of years before I sold the car.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:20 PM   #7
Harry Tuttle
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothdurban View Post
... for some reason the axial movement of the drive shaft in those things were quite excessive and the noise those pumps made drove me nuts.
I am at my limit with Saginaw pumps for the same reason. I took one off a car where it was driven from the AC pump, and was silent, to replace one that was rattly on a car with the non-AC mounting. The replacement pump made the very same noise as the one it replaced, once in its new environment.

smoothdurban, that page shows about 60 different pumps, some of which just have different finishes. Would you care to specify which one you chose, and why? Also, did you get your pulley from them? I don't see any V-belt pulleys there.

Thanks for any info

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs
just gutless low compression k-junk
Harry Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:10 PM   #8
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

The rattly issue with the Saginaw P-type PS pumps is due to the bracketry. Usually the rear bracket, which fails with regularity. Even the intact brackets will rattle. If you run the engine at 2000 rpm underhood, you'll see the pump rocking back and forth as it makes the rattling sound. When I converted my original 242 over to AC, the rattly pump became silent.

With respect to the Saginaw GM type II pumps used on the later cars, you'll need to source the pulley from a 1985-on 240, 700, or 900 with a B230. Same with the bracketry and hoses. 1991-93 240s (and possibly the B234 powered 7/9 series cars) use the integral reservoir that sits on top of the type II pump and use different hoses, since they don't have the separate reservoir.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:25 PM   #9
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
I am at my limit with Saginaw pumps for the same reason. I took one off a car where it was driven from the AC pump, and was silent, to replace one that was rattly on a car with the non-AC mounting. The replacement pump made the very same noise as the one it replaced, once in its new environment.

smoothdurban, that page shows about 60 different pumps, some of which just have different finishes. Would you care to specify which one you chose, and why? Also, did you get your pulley from them? I don't see any V-belt pulleys there.

Thanks for any info

The pump I ordered was this one.

https://www.tuffstuffperformance.com...tegory:1267415

The main reason I chose it was it had metric threaded mounting holes and pressure outlet side pointed towards the engine which worked with my ps pressure line.

As for the pulley I ordered it from summit. it was a 5.5" press fit but I cant seem to find the exact one I ordered but it fit perfectly. I also replaced the low pressure an fitting with a swivel AN. It was the same swivel AN fitting Josh uses on his vented valve cover caps.

As I mentioned earlier going this way was not cheap but for me it was worth it to get rid of that annoying rattle.

They do sell a reservoir as well although I didnt grab it

https://www.tuffstuffperformance.com...tegory:1267413
Old 05-19-2022, 10:59 PM   #10
Harry Tuttle
Board Member

Good info; thanks to both of you.

I am going to reveal my ignorance here: not having spent significant time under the hood of a late 240, I am gathering that this GM typeII pump is what was standard on late 240's?
Harry Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:40 AM   #11
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

Correct. Was used on all B230 cars. Both in a remote reservoir configuration from 1985-1990 on 240 series, and most 700 and 900 series cars; and in an integral reservoir configuration from 1991-93 on 240 series cars, as well as the whiteblock cars, but with a serpentine belt pulley.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:51 AM   #12
aristg
El Greco Capitano

Maybe this helps as well

aristg is offline   Reply With Quote