• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ford T5 from 4 cyl foxbody?

Kenunot

takes meds now
There is 93 fox 4cyl / 5 spd near me I could purchase for close to scrap value. Is that trans usable in a 240 with 3.73 rear? I seem to remember something about ratios being less than ideal and pilot bearing something something but I can't find the thread now. thanks for any insight

I feel like I tried to make the 4 cyl work every which way in my head and ultimately decided on this one factor.

If I'm going to go to the trouble of swapping gearboxes, I should at least get something that will do EXACTLY what I need it to do. For me... the 4 cyl didn't do this. The ratios and the lack of buildability.

That said... I believe Yoshi is running the 4cyl box in his gnarly monster car (or someone is) and it's held just fine.

I was SOOOOOOO tempted by many a 4cyl box showing up. In the end I waited and scored a late model V6 for like $200 and swapped the input shafts (which is easy btw)

Def let me know if you have questions.

I was looking over the ratios and they're more or less identical to an M47. I'm not building a race car or anything, I just want a manual transmission for my AW70 wagon (after I finally stopped all of its leaks lol).

The only down side I see is I have to buy a whole flooded Mustang that will have to be disposed of to get it.

I had a 4cyl box in my 83 244 turbo. Ratios were ok, had to nip 1/4" off the pilot shaft. Oh and the bearing retainer is different, so you have to keep that, and machine the bell housing, and use the adjustable throwout bearing instead. I would go v8 box if I did it again.

Are you planning on hauling lumber or pig iron?
Great granny low.
Very low torque capacity. Barely 240 ft/lbs
Tru story Brah

But I believe Yoshi is running the 4cyl box in his gnarly monster car (or someone is) and it's held just fine. Please don't forget that the ratios were ok
:roll:

Last edited:
But I believe Yoshi is running the 4cyl box in his gnarly monster car (or someone is) and it's held just fine. Please don't forget that the ratios were ok
:roll:

Well then I believe it must be just fine..:oops:

I can't believe however that others ratios are so wrong..cause if I believe these ratios are good, I have to believe those oh for example that are nearly same as Evo III, IV, V etc are baaaaad..

I believe I'll have another cuppa tea.

Why bother? It's not really any better than an M46 in either strength or ratios. $1000 in adaptation for monkeying around with adapters, clutches, drivelines and x-member for a step down or sideways? Or just get a 2.95 V6 (swap input shaft) or V8 box and be done with it, the turd polishing the 4cyl box requires to still have something a bit marginal to get the ratios better and strength up a bit cost negates benefit most all the time.

Are you planning on hauling lumber or pig iron?
Great granny low.
Very low torque capacity. Barely 240 ft/lbs
Tru story Brah

I saw the V8 box was only 265 lb ft

Why bother? It's not really any better than an M46 in either strength or ratios. $1000 in adaptation for monkeying around with adapters, clutches, drivelines and x-member for a step down or sideways? Or just get a 2.95 V6 (swap input shaft) or V8 box and be done with it, the turd polishing the 4cyl box requires to still have something a bit marginal to get the ratios better and strength up a bit cost negates benefit most all the time.

^this is why I was asking you guys.

doesn't matter anyway, it was sold by the time I got back to her. the search for a cheap manual box continues.

Honestly, the autobox from the turbo Volvo is about as strong as (or much much stronger than if you could retard the timing on shifts or similar to nurse it together) the T5, so if manual box isn’t mandatory, it’s a lot of money out, just saying...

In cooler climate cars leaking Exxon Valdez autos that work fine are basically laying around/stacked up like cord wood...

Or just an m46 from grandmas gutless b21f 244...

Also, op should be able to find a V6 wc box at his local junkyards with not too much issue. The junkyards around here are littered with mustangs. Pull one for a $100.

Also, op should be able to find a V6 wc box at his local junkyards with not too much issue. The junkyards around here are littered with mustangs. Pull one for a $100.

:uh:

d00d this is TB.

Much better to buy a $50 car from copart, and pay them the $250 in fees to get a mold filled chunk of worthless metal that needs to be disposed of.

:uh:

d00d this is TB.

Much better to buy a $50 car from copart, and pay them the $250 in fees to get a mold filled chunk of worthless metal that needs to be disposed of.

it was a local private sale cheeky monkey

selling the long block and rear after I pulled the trans would have made it cost neutral

So I guess all the S10 T5's in the jy are no good for Bolbos either?

I have never come across one. it's a fast moving LKQ in a city and I guess I'm too slow. I've also never seen a V8 Mustang there at all which makes me think they go to specialty dismantlers?

I'm running a 4 banger box. They are just fine if you want to replace the gear set like I did. It was free so it was hard to pass up. Most of the V8 boxes are crap by now so need rebuilt or gears replaced anyways.

It would be rare to come across a foxbody mustang that would have a t5, they are mostly autos. V6 mustangs come in droves pretty regularly. The WC T5s were used from 94-04(or somewhere in that range). Just llook at the tag on inner door frame on driver side like below. It was say '5' meaning a T5. All the V6 boxes will be a WC. V8s will have T45 which will not work.

Ford_Build_Date_Sticker.gif

Ya the 8 banger boxes go AWOL in out yards right away, like less than a day later, you're better off buying one on CL, at least you'll getting one sooner than maybe later.

There is 93 fox 4cyl / 5 spd near me I could purchase for close to scrap value. Is that trans usable in a 240 with 3.73 rear? I seem to remember something about ratios being less than ideal and pilot bearing something something but I can't find the thread now. thanks for any insight

Supprised no one has asked this, but what are your goals for the car?

Back