• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1991 245 in South Carolina

57plymouth

I bit the bullet and bought a 245 this past weekend. Here's the pics, because everyone likes pics.

It's clean as a pin and it's rust free. Thanks to advice from another member here, I've got a few details to work on like cleaning debris out of the inner fenders and rockers. I also need to fix the cigarette lighter so I can power my GPS. I can't find a dent on it, and the paint is pretty near perfect. I should address the driver's headlight sometime and the foam is collapsing on the driver's seat back. The odo shows 152K and the PO says it has about 5-10K more than that.

How'd I do?

I don't know if I paid too much. I gave $3500. Then the very next day I put an alternator on it (of course). I have the usual issues to fix; odometer, temp. compensator board is bad, the driver seat foam giving up, and the door pockets need to be glued back together or replaced. It also needs an armrest. I don't have the radio code and the code I got from Volvo isn't right. The radio has been replaced. (I had it out today)

I did add a constant hot 12 volt outlet for my gps today in the radio bezel and fixed a few other details.

for that clean of a wagon and the mileage on it I would say that is a fair price. good job finding it and have fun driving it!

In my insane little world, a short day of driving for work is about 100 miles. All of them from house to house for inspections. Therefore, a GPS is mandatory. I also hate restarting the GPS, so a constant hot 12v socket is a must. But where to put one? In the radio of course. Isn't Saturn an old latin word for parts car? Total investment: $2.

Now, about that leak on the passenger side... I'm starting with sealing the wiper motor mounts, cleaning out the rockers and see where that gets me before I trot off to the glass shop.

I haven't fixed the odometer yet, but the wife is on my case. The Pontiac that this car will replace gets about 25 mpg. Should I be in that range with this car? I need to clean the oil separator and take a look at the plugs. The ignition is recent though. The O2 is in the cat. Can I run without the cat without messing the EFI tuning abilities? How about the first muffler?

Fixed the odometer and deleted the compensator board. Those were easy! I'll take it to the Lodge tonight to see if the gauge is working now.

They did in fact have plenty. The husband was a veterinarian and the wife spent money. They went crazy over my basset hound when they saw her. I think the dog sealed the deal.

But the sticker is gone. Which was a royal pain since it went right over the rear defroster and I didn't want to ruin the defroster with a razor blade. Heat gun, plastic scraper and patience (and beer) finally got it cleaned off.

Any thoughts of "temporarily" removing the catalytic converter? Obviously it would be "a test and only off road." But will it mess with the fuel infection?

Nah, you'll be fine. No reason to remove it on a stock NA car though unless you suspect it's clogged. Or unless you REALLY need $80.

Drove to Lexington this morning for a meeting. On the way back the exhaust broke right behind the first muffler. I'll have to look into the repair tomorrow as I have another obligation today. My first thought is to just delete that first smaller muffler and weld in a replacement pipe. Judging by how loud the car got, I doubt that the first muffler serves much of a purpose!

Muffler fix was a breeze. Scrap tubing in the shop and some time and I'm back in business.

I have a buddy in Sweden with a 4th gen Camaro that I ship parts to all the time. He lived here for five years, and took the car home with him when he left. He just told me to send him a list of the parts I need.

I think he might regret that offer!

Back