• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

run-die-sputter-run-die (fuel delivery?)

isaac.j.freeman

'83 245 non-turbo

On start up if under 1/4 tank of gas it takes a lot of cranking to get it to start. 1/2 tank or more no problem at all.

More recently it has been having issues running consistently. It will start and I can keep it running by messing with the throttle, but it wants to die-run-sputter-die-run...and so on. It will have this issue randomly at different speeds and engine temperatures. Some drives it will only have the issue on start up and no more issue for the rest of the day.

I'm headed out now to move it into the garage and plan to take a video to hopefully show what I am talking about.

Do you believe I am on the right track with fuel delivery issue?

Video of the problem...and it ran perfectly

Well, I made the video and it started up no problem...of course :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6kEpQNnMKM

You'll notice from the video that it was parked across the street from my house and was pointed slightly down hill. I wonder if this helped to keep fuel down toward the engine. I didn't drive it far, just up and into the garage.

I've been also having a fairly loud "CLUNK" happening when I go over a speed bump or any significant other bump. At the end of the video you see me pointing at one of the rubber supports for the fuel pump and filter; it was out of its hole thus the pump/filter assembly could easily hit the bottom of the car. So I think that's probably the solution to the sound.

I've never replaced the fuel filter so I think I'll start there with my sputter-die issues

'83 245 non-turbo

On start up if under 1/4 tank of gas it takes a lot of cranking to get it to start. 1/2 tank or more no problem at all.

More recently it has been having issues running consistently. It will start and I can keep it running by messing with the throttle, but it wants to die-run-sputter-die-run...and so on. It will have this issue randomly at different speeds and engine temperatures. Some drives it will only have the issue on start up and no more issue for the rest of the day.

I'm headed out now to move it into the garage and plan to take a video to hopefully show what I am talking about.

Do you believe I am on the right track with fuel delivery issue?

if it runs ok with a fulll tank and runs crappy with less than half those are symptoms of a bad in tank fuel pump.
if you replace it you might as well do the float too since they are combined, although you can just replace the pump if you prefer. Its a bit of a nasty job because you have to get it out of the top pf the tank. connecting the plastic fuel line can be a pain.

I'd syphon your gas and empty the tank before if you go into replacing it. I'd source the pump first, you may be able to drive till you get one by keeping the tank full. you might locate the access plate above the tank and have a look at the big plug/nut thing you might have to improvise a wrench for that. I'd do that now but if you pull it apart you'll need the new pump to carry forward. Id' buy the pump with the float mechanism together because the plastic gets a bit old and you don't want to do this twice.

there is a strainer at the end of the line inside the tank. you should have that too. if it isn't oriented right the float can rub so take note you might be able to mark how it was with a white paint pen. if you knock the filter off the end of the hose you'll be fishing around in the gas tank with your nose in the hole breathing gas fumes and cursing.. thats why I'd drain the gas first.

careful draining the gas. do it outside. I know someone who was draining gas to a bucket and tripped over his trouble light and broke the bulb and a huge fire instantly ensued and he lost his garage and even worse he suffered horrible burns.

i saw a good idea where a guy used a pair of common adjustable plyers and opened them all the way to jam that into the big nut and then used vice grips to turn the plyers. it wasnt; a normal way to use the plyers but worked. if you try to use a hammer and a drft to loosen the plug that way I;d use a brass drift, you don't want to make sparks. my 740 has a plastic tank but yours is probably a metal tank.. You'll see if it's rusty inside. Hopefully it isn't.

If you have trouble fitting the plastic hose you can try to put he end of the hose in a kettle of hot water to soften it up a little as I recall it is quite stiff. about a foot from the tank on the underside I think it has a joint so maybe it can be unhooked there instead. If you are underneath look for the hose and see if there is a connection there.

Id open all the windows before you commence. the fumes from the fuel will get to you quickly otherwise.

that metal plate should be mounted on the rubber bushings so if you were to grab it and wiggle it it should be rubber mounted. maybe someone didnt' put it back correctly. I highly doubt the issue is a clogged filter. the main pump might need replacement if you have never done so but if you notice it runs ok when full then I'd look at the pre- pump in the tank first.

Chance are it's just the hose between the in tank pump and the outlet tube. Check out cleanflametrap's article.

http://cleanflametrap.com/transferPump.htm

A quick an easy test for the in tank pump is to disconnect the large hose at the main pump and bypass the fuel pump relay to see if there's fuel coming out of the hose. It should have a nice steady stream so be ready to catch a large quantity of fuel.

Sorry about the off topic but that leather steering wheel cover is awesome. Where'd you get it? or is it homemade?

Looks like I'm going to be diving into the in-tank fuel pump.

Here is what I am planning on buying:

1. Fuel Sending Unit

2. In tank fuel pump (upgrade kit)

...aaaand Im debating on some of these to boot :)

I'm going to do some of the tests you all spoke of to ensure that this is my problem.

I guess it is a good thing I was having trouble getting the fuel filter off and came inside to my computer.

Thanks for the help!

Chance are it's just the hose between the in tank pump and the outlet tube. Check out cleanflametrap's article.

http://cleanflametrap.com/transferPump.htm

A quick an easy test for the in tank pump is to disconnect the large hose at the main pump and bypass the fuel pump relay to see if there's fuel coming out of the hose. It should have a nice steady stream so be ready to catch a large quantity of fuel.

I was just going to post the same.

I've run into this a few times.

Back