• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Contemplating a rear main seal

I just got done doing a RMS on my auto 245 Classic and let me tell you it wasn't fun!
Sucked!! But she's got a fresh OE RMS in it now and that's why I got the car for $300 so I'm not complaining..
Worth it in the end

NbcYou know I got my car from my bro for about 700 in total which was a hell of a deal, we replace the intake manifold and exhaust manifold for an EGR Delete and cold start injector delete... While doing so replace the oil separator box and now I have a hell of a leak that basically puts me in a spot where I can't drive the car at all

I also might add we re replaced the box that we originally replaced with an oem Volvo one with a new o-ring at the bottom and still the leak persists

Not into it at all I cleaned up around where it started at the car has had a very well-maintained history so I really don't think it be that messed up, but I guess there's a chance right?

I have a question about the return hose and the other hole the bigger one that has the O-ring on it what exactly does that do? I know the other one with the hose obviously Returns the oil

Okay so I did the glove over the oil filler whole, it did not inflate if anything at try to get sucked into the valve cover so I assume that means I do not have pressure build up

Help me find my leak ... don't want to start another thread for it

1990 740 b230ft

The leak is from the rear of the engine, at idle 2-3 drops of oil every minute, quite a lot. After rubbing all the oil from the bottom of the car the first couple drops of oil come from these bolts on the bellhousing support piece. As you can see, it's not the lowest bolt which leads me to believe it's not the rms. These are the bolts on the oil filter side. After a few minutes, the oil begins dropping from the lowest bolt on the bellhousing, but not right away.
Screenshot-2021-04-24-160304.png

Background: During a recent transmission swap, I replaced the rear main with an OEM Volvo seal. I thoroughly cleaned the seal housing prior to installing the new seal. I covered the new seal in oil before pressing it in. I pushed it in no further than 6mm which is within spec according to Hanes. I didn't put it on the grooves from the previous seal and I pushed it in as evenly as I could according to my eye. On the next sunny day, I will remove the bellhousing bracket to take a look and see if it's dry or not.

Next, I replaced the distributor with a good used one with very little play and installed it with two new seals. After running the car for a little while the back of the distributor seems dry.

The two oil filter lines looked very wet, so I replaced the washers on the lines, which also didn't solve the leak.

During a recent cam swap, I removed the harmonic balancer to take a look at the front main seal. I know when they leak they can run oil to the back of the engine making it confusing. I'm going to replace this seal in a few days but I don't think it's leaking this badly.

The oil filter housing seal would be more obvious if it was leaking badly right? I'm thinking it's either this or my oil pan. Any advice would be great on where to go next. Thanks

Back